Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

rent or buy gas bottle

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by djackal, 18/8/19.

1. djackal

Home Page:
    Posted 18/8/19
    Hi guys, I'm looking to setup my keezer and need to get some gas into it.

Any advice on
    a) Do I just get food grade CO2 or do I need beermix (I mainly use to push beer out of kegs, may or may not force carbonate)

b) Should I buy a bottle off a retailer or get a bottle off BOC? I hope to have 3 or 4 kegs on the go but doubt I'd brew more than six times a year.

Cheers in advance, Carl

2. dkril

Posted 18/8/19
    Buy. 2.6kg or 6kg are probably the easiest sizes to come by. The rent that Bunch Of C***s and their ilk charge is a rip off.

razz likes this.
  3. DU99

Retired
    Posted 18/8/19
    i own 6kg(supagas) and have 2.6K gas as standby,when i am getting the 6kg refilled

4. JDW81

I make wort, the yeast make it beer.

Posted 18/8/19
    Definitely buy one. You can often jag a good deal on eBay/gumtree, but to buy one new isn't too expensive (have a look at the retail sponsors on here and you'll find one that suits).

I use a 2.6KG cylinder, which lasts at least 3-4 months in peak beer drinking times (4 kegs in my fridge). I also use it to force carbonate beer and water (for the days off).

Where abouts are you located? Someone might know a good place locally.

JD

5. onemorecell

Posted 19/8/19
    just buy one... it's so cheap now to buy.

Weizguy likes this.
  6. djackal

Home Page:
    Posted 19/8/19
    cheers guys. In Canberra atm so will look online and compare to online prices/sydney prices. reckon i can squeeze 6kg in!

7. Elmar

Posted 19/8/19
    Hi Carl
    I use a 6kg BOC bottle for beer and Sodastream. It's $70 for the year. But here is the deal: once you paid your seventy, the next bottle is free, so it's really only $35 per fill. Can't get cheaper than that. Also use it for welding. And I don't own the bottle!!
    And I own a 2.6kg, but it cost me $26 for a refill two weeks ago at the local homebrew shop.
    Your call
    Cheers Elmar

dkril likes this.
  8. shmang

Posted 24/8/19
    I bought one as it the better option for me.
    I got mine from Brew Your Own in Kambah, I try to support the LHBS whenever I can otherwise they won't be there when I need them (Such as realising on brew day you forgot to buy yeast)

If your on a really tight budget Cheeky Peak Brewery have 6kg cylinder for $85 plus delivery.

https://cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/6-0kg-co2-carbon-dioxide-gas-bottle-cylinder

9. dkril

Posted 24/8/19
    My word, they HAVE improved their deals.

Isn't it amazing what a little competition (readily available, rent free swap'n'go 2.6 & 6kg bottles) can do?

onemorecell likes this.