Refurbishing An Ancient Firestone Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1974Alby

Reaction score
Hi all,

Ive been given some OLD firestone kegs that have male thread on the posts that screw into a female post seat on the body of the keg. below is a pic of a similar (same?) unit I found using google. But I cant find any info on parts (poppet valves, seals and o-rings etc)...Anyone have any experince with this style of keg?...I will post some more pics after work.

28570d1309221211-firestone-keg-have-you-seen-photo-26.jpg

They are the same as Mytton kegs these guys still make em and all parts avaliable Linky

:icon_cheers: MastersBrewery you are a legend. I've been scouring the net for the last couple of days looking for a supplier of parts for my Mytton keg . Thanks for that link.

hey they're an awesome keg, should have said they were obsolete and bought 'em off ya cheap!! :ph34r: still on the look out for some more of these just can't quite afford the new price.

Yeh I picked up a 45 L one from a fellow AHB member for 50 bucks. Just needs a liquid dip tube new posts and seals, otherwise in top nick. Looking at the price of them on that link I'm pretty happy with the purchase.

I also have a couple of neglected Firestones sitting in my garage. It seems that Andale also have bits for these kegs but I haven't enquired about the price yet. Bits seem a tad expensive. Are they worth fixing?

Grain and Grape stock the posts also.

Thanks for raising this thread.
I've had a hellofatime trying to find this part.

some guy just gave these to you....what a tip top bloke ;

I also have a couple of neglected Firestones sitting in my garage. It seems that Andale also have bits for these kegs but I haven't enquired about the price yet. Bits seem a tad expensive. Are they worth fixing?

Grain and Grape stock the posts also.

:icon_offtopic: If you're thinking of getting rid of them, drop me a pm, like I said been keeping my eye out for a few more.

Thanks again MastersBrewery just ordered a full set of replacement seals and liquid dip tube from STPV for $41.37 delivered

Try ozbrew.com, I used them for my MR kegs and the reco kits they sold at the time were all the same price, (around 15 bucks I think) no matter what style of keg you have.

So my Firestones are quite feral, I have pulled them apart and everything is getting a good soak in hot PBW. What do people think, is a good clean and seal replacement sufficient or would a full rebuild (which is far more expensive) be the way to go? :icon_cheers:

all the steel parts should be fine with a clean...replace the seals and it should be good to go.

has anyone bought seals/keg spares through ambartechnology.com or Andale..they both stock what I need but I suspect they wont be interested in my small retail order andthat is why they havent returned my emails!

Once I worked out that my male threaded keg post was a Mytton Rodd I managed to find a few suppliers including ozbrew.com, stainless steel tanks, ultimatehomebrew, andale and ambartechnology...Thanks again for the info everyone,...the next challenge is to get off the old keg lid o-ring which has fused itself to the lid and inside the keg opening...been soaking in napisan for a few days but I think its gonna need a bit more grunt such as a wire brush or dremel grinder....any ideas?

I only just got two of my MR's up and running I had to do a fairly harsh caustic clean on both as everything else had failed to get them back to shiny stainless, will still be getting some new sealsand so forth in the near future. I noted that new lids and dip tubes weren't that expensive, so fully kitting out a couple would probably be worth it in the long term

Thanks for all the replys..Ive ordered some seal kits but havent been able to locate any poppet valves that are the same as the ones in my posts!..Mine have a round steel plate, which is kept in position by a circlip which sits locks into a grove within the post ..these appear to be completely different from any Ive seen on the various suppliers websites.

Does anyone have experience with this style of poppet valve? If I cant find replacements, is it possible to simply replace the o'ring on the poppet valve?

Albainian said:
Hi all,

Ive been given some OLD firestone kegs that have male thread on the posts that screw into a female post seat on the body of the keg. below is a pic of a similar (same?) unit I found using google. But I cant find any info on parts (poppet valves, seals and o-rings etc)...Anyone have any experince with this style of keg?...I will post some more pics after work.

28570d1309221211-firestone-keg-have-you-seen-photo-26.jpg
hey mate,

ive got some firestone kegs and need the exact same post's as what you have in the pic, i currently have one that looks the same

i looked at the link but cant see a post that looks like this, did you get an adaptor or something?

Latest posts

Back