Refurbishing An Ancient Firestone Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MHB said:
Hey Chris - long time no see
Yep the yellow washer is the one you replace with a lifesaver (the yellow ones mostly crumble up and make a hell of a mess).
If you have any problems PM me and I'll arrange a time to show you how to fix them.
In the easykeg link the internal is called a "Mushroom seal".
Mark
Thanks Mark

Have ordered the seals today just going to fix 2 of them at this stage, Thanks for your help.

rgds
Chris

Anyone have any experience using the nylon or viton washers instead of the polyurethane ones? MHB is right, the polyurethane ones can be a pain. I just pulled apart a couple old Mytton Rodds that had been refurbished and appeared to have a nylon washer instead of the pU ones. I'm just about to put in an order to Stainless Tanks and Pressure Vessels and they list nylon and viton options for the pU washer at the bottom of the linked page.

Cheers!!!

Chriss, no problem, give me a hoy if you have any problems.
Go the Viton, its a rubber the nylon is very hard and on old kegs it's handy if there is a bit of flexibility.
Mark

Your welcome, I always liked the STPV Hatch O-Rings.
Mark

Yeah, MHB, thanks for the tip about Brewman having supplies.
Just worked out last night that the beer in the keg freezer is the contents of the old Firestone keg. leaked from under the outlet.
I almost cried to have lost a keg full of Kölsch (ok, only close to full). The gravity of it may strike me later, at work,
Now, I'm running low on beer. I thought I had that one up my sleeve as the yeast settled in the keg. W1010 tastes dirty in a Kölsch.
Stupid old kegs.

Hi all

well just the ran around for the seal kits for my Mytton/Firstone kegs...

Easy Kegging
keg lid O'ring $5.95 /ea
Diptube O'ring $4.15 /ea
Washer Poly $3.45 /ea
Valve seal mush $3.70 /ea

+ Freight

STVP
keg lid O'ring $7.70 /ea
Diptube O'ring $4.07 /ea
Washer Poly $2.20 /ea
Post O'ring $3.58 /10

+ Freight
Carole Cruise
Administration Manager.
[email protected]

Brewman
Kits is $15.50 + Freight

do each keg

rgds
Chris

ziggy459 said:
Thanks Mark

Have ordered the seals today just going to fix 2 of them at this stage, Thanks for your help.
washer

rgds
Chris
Hi Mark

Just wanted to get a heads up on those Mushroom washers are they used in the out post only or both, before I pull them apart.

Thanks Chris

Both, the internals are the same on both the in and out posts, the only difference is the dip tube seal on the beer out
Its a really good idea to replace all the parts at the same, especially the lifesaver washer.
Mark

MHB said:
Both, the internals are the same on both the in and out posts, the only difference is the dip tube seal on the beer out
Its a really good idea to replace all the parts at the same, especially the lifesaver washer.
Mark
Thanks Mark... when I brought the seal kits I made sure had the dip one as well, have rebuild 1 but not the posts yet.

rgds
Chris

Hey MARK

just pulled the out post apart.. please have a look at this pic seem quite a diff in size will this matter?

rgds
Chris

20160312_110700.jpg

If the bigger black one is the old one, that's why you are replacing it, they spread out over time.
If you haven't done it before have fun getting the internals all lined up while you get the circlip back in.
A piece of 1/2" copper pipe makes it a lot easier.
Mark

MHB said:
If the bigger black one is the old one, that's why you are replacing it, they spread out over time.
If you haven't done it before have fun getting the internals all lined up while you get the circlip back in.
Mark
Thanks again Mark.. sound like its going be fun... not..

rgds

ziggy459 said:
Thanks again Mark.. sound like its going be fun... not..

rgds
Thanks again Mark.. had heaps of copper pipe laying around, cut a piece and than polished in my electric 1/2 drill worked well.. thanks again.
rgds
Chris

Copper pipe hey... Yeah I had lots of fun getting them all back together. Lots of patience required.

Can anyone show a blowup pic of a disassembled Mytton Rodd post? Not really game to pull one down out of curiosity. It looks like a bitch to get back together.

Mardoo said:
Can anyone show a blowup pic of a disassembled Mytton Rodd post? Not really game to pull one down out of curiosity. It looks like a bitch to get back together.
Don't have a pic handy. Have done several though, it is a little painful, but persistence pays off. If I can do it, well anyone with a bit of dexterity should get it done.

MHB said:
Mark
Small bore tube spanner also does the trick if you have one lying about

Being a Plumber by trade, I guess its no surprise that 1/2" copper came to my mind first.
I'm sure there are plenty of things that would work, I recall once using a 1/4" drive socket with a screwdriver type handle. Most anything with a 1/2" od and a hole in the middle will work.
It is something that gets a lot easier with practice, you will probably be really good at it by the time you have finished servicing all your kegs - and fully deskilled by the time you need to do them again in a couple of years... just the way life is.
Mark

Latest posts

Back