Refractometers: is there a recommended brand / manufacturer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gvhorwitz

Reaction score
I saw a lot of postings out there regarding refractometers. Is there a brand or maker that I should look for when considering my future purchase of one?

Thanks in advance

Greg

I have an old atago model, they are very good quality. You don't say how much you want to spend, there are plenty of cheap models out there, you can spend $300 on a digital atago.

Honestly, I'm not sure what I'd spend. Certainly not that much ;-)

I just don't want to buy something that's not going to help me with my brewing.

And thank you for your quick and helpful reply.

Brewing in Connecticut

Just checked mine that I got from grain and grape. No hint of a brand on it at all. I Think it cost me around $70-80 last year

Cant remember which one but I got mine from one of the site sponsors, was just under $40 plus postage

I bought mine on ebay, looks to be identical to the one sold by CraftBrewer. Works just fine.

Just make sure you get one with automatic temperature adjustment.

I also bought a small bottle of distilled water from my local chemist. I use 2 or 3 drops once in a while to recalibrate it and make sure it remains accurate.

I bought the Craftbrewer model, the HBHB one looks identical at half the price. Whatever one you get, make sure it's got a SG scale as well as the Brix.

Bribie G said:
I bought the Craftbrewer model, the HBHB one looks identical at half the price. Whatever one you get, make sure it's got a SG scale as well as the Brix.
I would buy one with just a Brix scale, a lot less cluttered, then use a formula to determine SG. If you get one with an SG scale it is only any good (the SG scale) before fermentation starts. Once fermentation starts you need a calculation to determine the SG or a hydrometer which partly defeats the purpose of buying a refractometer.

If like me you dont brew high % alc beers (>1.07 OG) then suggest a 0 -18 brix model rather than the 0 - 32 brix model with temperature compensation. Also don't bother with the ones that have their own light source.

There are plenty on Ebay

my 2c

Back