Recommend me a probe thermometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zarniwoop

Reaction score
Hi All

I need a new thermometer, something accurate with a probe on a wire and good resolution, preferably with a max/min alarm. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Zarniwoop

Super fast thermapen no wire though
There was a thread on here about alternative to the thermapen I think from electric brewery not sure where ??

Got a pH mter through this crowd (Instrument Choice) and extremely happy. Very helpful, they don't try to sell you more than you want or need etc. No affiliation. Not the cheapest in the world, but very good quality.

Try this page amongst others.

I find that the ikea one is not very accurate. Out by 3-4c compared to my thermapen.

Another thermapen fan here. Very fast and very accurate. My other cheapy ebay thermometers differ up to 3-5 degrees c.

Well this post has made me buy a thermapen

Bit pissed when I made the last post started looking & bought a reconditioned one for $64

Jeez its too easy to click & buy hope it makes my brew day easier bloody mercury metal backed one with a coat hanger
on it used to drive me crazy trying to read it :unsure:

Just hit the bay named after E. That dual sensor yellow one is quite acceptable. Min. Max. dual temps. Temp difference between the two. 9 volt battery that last ages. Big display. I use the Teflon coated thermocouples. I think they are $1 each. Only issue is you get a lot that aren't welded properly at the tip and you get ridiculous readings. Just give it a hard rub between your fingers and they work. You know when there is an issue as they go open circuit or show 300 deg etc.
I find the chip cooker ones very slow to read. The ones in the S/S spiked probe with the electronics on the end. Okay though. They just take a while to go from room temp to hot.

rude said:
Well this post has made me buy a thermapen

Bit pissed when I made the last post started looking & bought a reconditioned one for $64

Jeez its too easy to click & buy hope it makes my brew day easier bloody mercury metal backed one with a coat hanger
on it used to drive me crazy trying to read it :unsure:
You wont look back, they're bloody marvellous

Was thinking about this before, I have actually found that using the stc-1000 for the mash is good also.

These can be picked up for about $30 delivered.

Tahoose said:
Was thinking about this before, I have actually found that using the stc-1000 for the mash is good also.

These can be picked up for about $30 delivered.
I have a thermapen but also use the STC-1000 for the mash. Take temp with pen and see what STC says and then I wrap it up in a sleeping bag with STC probe in there and I can monitor it without taking the bag off etc.

Oh, and my cooking has improved using the thermapen!

Thanks but the thermapen doesn't appear to be on a wire?

zarniwoop said:
Thanks but the thermapen doesn't appear to be on a wire?
You could tie a bit of string to it.

Back