Recirculated Mash Setup With Pot And Urn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why dunk sparge? if you have the water there fly sparge. You will get better efficiency and you will not have to move the bag till you want to discard the grain. I can see problems with the recirculation and with the fly sparging though as the wort will want to flow over the bag and down the sides. Yes it will be just sitting on the rack but there is another material between the wall and the mash and it has little holes in it the water will just use the bag to run down the side of the mash, Bit like channeling in a typical setup.

By all means give it a go there is no harm in that and who knows alot might be wrong, I have never tried anything like this so cant comment but things I can see going wrong.

Truman, do you keg?
If so then using a 20L urn for a full brew using BIAB you are going to have to do a "Maxi BIAB" with a sparge anyway to get a full brew length to end up with enough to fill a keg.

So given the limitations of the urn, you are probably best doing a sparge "in situ", run the wort into another vessel, hoist the bag of spent grain and chuck it, return the wort to the urn and boil to get maybe 16L

Now if you brew a bit over gravity and do a post boil dilution, you'll be good for a brew to fill a corny.

That's what I'd do in your circumstances, sounds like you are on track.

Latest posts

Back