RecipeDB - St Louis Golden Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might well be worth sourcing those yeasts if possible Warren.
I have no fear of blandish type beers at all as I sometimes like to down a beer pretty fast and the lighter styles work well for that.
I'm pretty sure I mentioned recently that the beers I have made with rice I perceived as being surprisingly malty given the level of adjuncts, don't know what the go with that is.

I can envision a 50/50 Pilsner on the cards soon, if I can get hold of the Rocky Mountain Lager I'll give it a shot.

Andrew

Haven't worked out the efficiency yet. One thing that really surprised me was the sweetness of the wort, usually I taste it and it never seems as sugary sweet as a kit n kilo but last night it was really sweet from the converted rice no doubt.

If I make this again I'll certainly try upping the rice even more and use a lager yeast and a lagering period to really clean up the flavour. Using US-05 this time which may be a bit aley for a 'delicate' beer.

The Chinook is usually sold as a bittering hop but there's a surprising hop aroma left. Hopefully some left in the finished beer.

When the rice shortage came on last year I bought a heap of it from Aldi for a dollar a kilo (now $1.70 ) so I've got about twelve kilos to use up because it's actually crap rice for cooking :p

I love using a little rice in a pale lager. After about 4 weeks the taste just goes nuts and goes from a great beer to a sensational beer. This was my attempt, next time I might drop the munich and go for the ultra pale look.

#84 North German Pilsner
German Pilsner (Pils)

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 26.00 L
Brewer: Stephen Wright
Boil Size: 31.86 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 75 min Equipment: My Gear
Taste Rating(out of 50): 0.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4000.00 gm Premium Pilsner (Weyermann) (2.2 EBC) Grain 72.73 %
1000.00 gm Rice, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 18.18 %
500.00 gm Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 9.09 %
45.00 gm Northern Brewer [6.50 %] (60 min) Hops 28.3 IBU
45.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [2.80 %] (20 min) Hops 7.4 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
11.00 gm PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafLager German Lager (DCL Yeast #S-189) Yeast-Lager

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.047 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.66 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.56 %
Bitterness: 35.7 IBU Calories: 439 cal/l
Est Color: 6.4 EBC Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body Total Grain Weight: 5500.00 gm
Sparge Water: 25.37 L Grain Temperature: 20.0 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C TunTemperature: 20.0 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Light Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 12.00 L of water at 74.0 C 66.0 C

I can envision a 50/50 Pilsner on the cards soon, if I can get hold of the Rocky Mountain Lager I'll give it a shot.

Wow! :eek: That's going to be interesting. I reckon using Galaxy Malt you'll be home and hosed though. From what I've heard it's made for the Asian (high adjunct) market in the first place.

Don't hesitate to let me know Andrew. I'd be very interested to hear.

It's funny how there's a misconception about adjunct lagers. To be honest the home made ones are fantastic.

Bud has a lot to answer for. :lol:

Warren -

Hey Steve, I love trying to brew the ultra pale beers, there's just something so good about pouring a beer that is just slightly more coloured than H2o and still getting some nice flavours to go with it, and when you manage to get a crystal clear one as well is looks beautiful.

Your recipe looks great, try it without the Munich you may well be surprised, and the S-189 yeast is great for this style too.

BribieG, I noticed a lot more sweetness in the wort as well, perhaps the rice is converting to a different kind of sugar than the malt which we could perceive as a different sweetness.

Andrew

I have a 100% Weyermann Premium Pils with Saaz (60 40 20) and Budvar 2000 yeast going at the moment. Love dem Lagers.

Steve

well i just got my 3kg of pilsner pale grain in the mail , ill be giving this a whirl on the weekend.
just exactly how do i use the rice? and is just normal white rice ok?
im going to use the hallertau as advertised and i got some s-189 (aka swiss lager yeast from craftbrewer)

well i just got my 3kg of pilsner pale grain in the mail , ill be giving this a whirl on the weekend.
just exactly how do i use the rice? and is just normal white rice ok?
im going to use the hallertau as advertised and i got some s-189 (aka swiss lager yeast from craftbrewer)

You'll need to boil the rice in about 4-5 lt of water for twenty minutes or until pasty looking, then add to your mash. I mashed in at a lower temp with 5 lt less water than normal for a protien rest then used the boiling rice to raise your mash temp to Sacch temp. If you have Beersmith there is a .bsm file in the first post download that and all the temp ranges are there for you.

Or you could simply add the rice when it has cooled to your mash temp if you are only planning to do the one temperature step.

EDIT: Here's the temp steps I used

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 4.00 kg
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
10 min Mash in Add 12.00 L of water at 46.7 C 42.0 C
15 min Add Rice boiled witAdd 4.00 L of water at 96.7 C 54.0 C
40 min Sacch Rest Heat to 62.0 C over 10 min 62.0 C
20 min Sacch Rest Heat to 72.0 C over 10 min 72.0 C
10 min Mash out Heat to 78.0 C over 10 min 78.0 C

Cheers
Andrew

Hey guys,
just finished putting down a batch of this brew, ill post some photos of it when its finished fermenting.
i only ended up with 18-19L after the boil, i got a bit nervous about the colour and cut the sparge a little short probably. other than that it seems pretty good, has an sg of 1040 and im going to pitch the yeast when i get it into my fermenter fridge a bit later.

i used only NZ hallertau hops and a packet of swiss lager yeast from craftbrewer.

mash schedule

75mins mashin 62deg
60mins add hot rice 65deg
0mins mashout 76deg

did boil same as the recipe.

hey guys,
just kegged the ale, looked quite clean and crisp, hopefully it will be clear enough tomorrow to drink!
ill let yas know.
B-man out.

I finally have this one in the fermenter using Wyeast 2007, is there anyone experienced with this yeast who can tell me how long it will take to ferment out

O.G was a little higher than wanted at 1.048 and is sitting on 10c

It also finished a bit darker than i wanted and can't work out why

75% galaxy
25% Rice

Rook

I finally have this one in the fermenter using Wyeast 2007, is there anyone experienced with this yeast who can tell me how long it will take to ferment out

O.G was a little higher than wanted at 1.048 and is sitting on 10c

It also finished a bit darker than i wanted and can't work out why

75% galaxy
25% Rice

Rook

You didn't use brown rice by any chance Rook :p !

C&B
TDA

Maybe even stout rice? :blink:

Warren -

black_rice_l.jpg

I am brewing this on Sunday using jasmine rice.

Just wondering do i first boil the rice then strain the rice then add it to 4 litres of water?

Katie

I am brewing this on Sunday using jasmine rice.

Just wondering do i first boil the rice then strain the rice then add it to 4 litres of water?

Katie

Boil the rice in the 4lt of water until stoggy/sticky and then throw the whole lot in the mash.

Cheers
Andrew

Rice was boiled with 4 lt of water for 15 minutes, added 4 lt of 96c water to the rice to thin it out and bring the temp down slightly. This was then added to the mash that had been held at 42 for 10 min, raising the temp to 54 for a protien rest for 15 minutes. Temp was then raised to 62 for 40 minutes then raised again to 72 for a further 20 minutes. Mashed out at 78 and batch sparged as normal.

Please note: The 8.5% hallertau is in fact N.Z Hallertau Aroma

that just confused me a little (thats not hard)

Anyhow thank you Andrew. Looking forward to Sunday!

I forgot about that bit Katie, I did add water after the rice boiled to drop the temp so I wouldn't overshoot my protein rest step temp. So what you have posted above is correct.

Andrew

Edit: Can you let me know how it goes with the Jasmin rice?, I love Jasmin rice but wasn't sure how the floraly aroma would come through in the finished beer, if it even does.

I forgot about that bit Katie, I did add water after the rice boiled to drop the temp so I wouldn't overshoot my protein rest step temp. So what you have posted above is correct.

Andrew

ok... do you get much taste from the rice?

Maybe even stout rice? :blink:

Warren -
so wazza stout rice makes this a detroit lager?

Maple's brewing the stock St Louis this atm so im sure i'll get to try it and provide feedback

Latest posts

Back