RecipeDB - St Louis Golden Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewQLD

RED ON WHITE IPA
Reaction score

St Louis Golden Lager

Lager - American Premium Lager
All Grain
* * * - - 3 Votes

Brewer's Notes

Rice was boiled with 4 lt of water for 15 minutes, added 4 lt of 96°c water to the rice to thin it out and bring the temp down slightly. This was then added to the mash that had been held at 42° for 10 min, raising the temp to 54° for a protien rest for 15 minutes. Temp was then raised to 62° for 40 minutes then raised again to 72° for a further 20 minutes. Mashed out at 78° and batch sparged as normal.

Please note: The 8.5% hallertau is in fact N.Z Hallertau Aroma

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
3 kg BB Pale Malt
1 kg Rice Solids

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
15 g Hallertauer, New Zealand (Pellet, 8.5AA%, 60mins)
8 g Hallertauer (Pellet, 4.8AA%, 60mins)
6 g Hallertauer (Pellet, 4.8AA%, 0mins)
5 g Hallertauer (Pellet, 4.8AA%, 45mins)

Yeast

12 g DCL Yeast S-189 - SafLager German Lager

Misc

0.5 g Irish Moss
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.048 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.013 (calc)
  • Bitterness 21.2 IBU
  • Efficiency 80%
  • Alcohol 4.54%
  • Colour 4 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 10 days
  • Secondary 7 days
  • Conditioning 1 days

pilsner__Medium_.JPG

2008_11130010.JPG

View attachment St_Louis.bsm

That looks fantastic Andrew, how do you find the Hop Aroma/Flavour compared to your 60/40/20 additions when you do your Pilsner?

Rook

That looks fantastic Andrew, how do you find the Hop Aroma/Flavour compared to your 60/40/20 additions when you do your Pilsner?

Rook

Hop aroma is a lot more assertive and green/fresh Rook, but it still needs some time in the keg to mellow. Also given it is a low malt high adjuct (rice) beer the hops are easier to pick out compared to the malt.

Andrew

I think i'll give this a go with either a Wyeast 2007 or 2112

Rook

Ye Gods!! Bundaberg Bud :eek:

Looks attractive Andrew. Did you filter that?

Warren -

No filtering Warren, although I did use a dose of isinglass and left at 4 for a week to drop clear before transfering to a keg.
Fish guts are good stuff :lol:

Rook, I think the 2007 would be great, should enhance the malt a bit too.

Andrew

Rook

+1.
That looks absolutely smashing Andrew.
Any reason why you used the NZ Hallertau for bittering rather than go the whole way with (German) Hallertau? ---- I'm always willing to learn. :)

As an aside, I have just left a Belgian to drop out at 4 deg c for a fortnight due to laziness & am amazed how clear it has turned out compared with my normal 5 days at this (Dropout) temp.

Going to try this with just German Hallertau & my farmed S-189.

TP :beer:

Talk about bright B) !

Top notch Andrew.

I reckon would be brilliant with a liquid yeast like 2112 Rook as well. Find it is a good yeast
for a smooth maltiness in a brew.

C&B
TDA

Looks the goods Andrew - I love using Rice or maize in a full flavoured lager.

Which Hallertau hop were using with an AA of 8.5%??

Cheers Ross

Looks the goods Andrew - I love using Rice or maize in a full flavoured lager.

Which Hallertau hop were using with an AA of 8.5%??

Cheers Ross

Apologies, the database didn't have the hallertau aroma so I listed normal hallertau instead, I will add a note to the recipe database. So It's all NZ hops, do they have a St Louis in NZ?
As an aside, using the rice was easier than I thought it would be, somehow I pictured a stuck mash and all sorts of drama but it was fairly easy.

Thanks for the compliments all.

Andrew

Don't want to take this too far off topic but I used southern cross
in a similar style brew and they really stood out, bloody delish these Kiwi hops!

Back to your beer now Andrew :)

C&B
TDA

Well, i'm going to do this be after i do a couple of belgians, i need to buy the hops but i have decided i will split the batch and do half with the Wyeast 2007 and the other with the 2112.

Thanks for the recipe Andrew

Rook

Nice looking Brau!

All the talk about rice and ajdunct is sparking me to jump onto a CAP asap.

10% Rice, 10% Corn......
Northern brewer for bittering and Heavy Sazz 30, 15, 5, flameout! pushing 35IBU @ 1.055

Niiiiice. Thinking about that pic of Tony's CAP in the 'whats in the glass' thread is getting me quite excited.

Time to revive this thread, how did it end up tasting Andrew?

I am going to give this a try sometime over the next 2 weeks using WY 2112, what would the best temp be to ferment at and how long should i expect it to take to Ferment out

Rook

Time to revive this thread, how did it end up tasting Andrew?

I am going to give this a try sometime over the next 2 weeks using WY 2112, what would the best temp be to ferment at and how long should i expect it to take to Ferment out

Rook

It was very nice Rook, although it was slightly over hopped for the style. I will be dropping the final hop addition and getting the gravity down to where it should be, below 1.008 if I can.
I must say I was quite surprised at the malt presence in this beer considering how much rice was used, very tasty.
I'd ferment as low as you can, this beer will highlight any esters that the yeast produces and you want this one as clean as you can get it. The lower the temp the longer the ferment.

Cheers
Andrew

It was very nice Rook, although it was slightly over hopped for the style. I will be dropping the final hop addition and getting the gravity down to where it should be, below 1.008 if I can.
I must say I was quite surprised at the malt presence in this beer considering how much rice was used, very tasty.
I'd ferment as low as you can, this beer will highlight any esters that the yeast produces and you want this one as clean as you can get it. The lower the temp the longer the ferment.

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew I've found that using rice too. We're led to believe it mutes the malt but I've found that it lends a very light vanilla type of flavour that makes a nice point of difference.

I used to prefer corn but have really changed my mind of late. The best part is the hops really come to the fore. :)

Warren -

Andrew I've found that using rice too. We're led to believe it mutes the malt but I've found that it lends a very light vanilla type of flavour that makes a nice point of difference.

I used to prefer corn but have really changed my mind of late. The best part is the hops really come to the fore. :)

Warren -

Great description Warren, that's exactly how I perceived the beer as well, I just couldn't describe it as well. And the hops do stand out that's for sure.
I have another brewday coming up soon so I might do this again and drop the finishing hops, aerate a little more and pitch a little more yeast to get the fg down a bit.

Andrew

Bumped again. I have just done something much along your lines.

4kg Galaxy
1kg rice cooked till mushy

90 mins at 66 degrees

20g Chinook 90 (that's right 90) minutes

US-05

I pitched it today, looking at the wort the Galaxy has given a glorious golden colour I have never achieved before, I used it because it's highly diastatic and I reckoned it would slurp up the rice no problems. Even with just 20g of hops it's well bitter at this stage and there's still plenty of hop aroma, surprisingly. I'm looking forward to the finished product.

As an experiment I also added a 500g tub of chinese 'Maltose' which is a clear pale gold malted rice syrup. It pushed the OG to 1052 in 25 litres and in hindsight the beer can stand on its two feet without it but I heard on another thread that it isn't all fermentable and I wanted to give the beer more guts in case the rice thinned the character out too much. Lets see how the FG turns out.

I'll give the BB pale a go next time as it can obviously handle the rice.

Sounds interesting BribieG, how was your efficiency using the Galaxy? Great malt for high adjunct brewing, not tried chinook hops yet so a report back on their affects as well as the maltose would be good if you can.

Andrew

Hey Andrew have you contemplated using Wyeast 2035 American Lager or even trying to source the VSS strain Wyeast 2105 Rocky Mountain Lager which is supposed to be the Coors strain?

Be interesting to see just how far this recipe could be developed in terms of yeast strains and adjunct levels. Might wind up blandish but it would be interesting to push the envelope in a style where there's no room to hide bad brewing techniques. :)

I often wonder how far we could go with rice adjunct. Personally I've gotten to around 25% and it did no harm at all.

Warren -

Latest posts

Back