RecipeDB - New Age Aussie Wheat Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn, The 7am drool has hit me again......

I'll be thinking about making this all day at work :)

Hi guys,
I made this beer yesterday. Well close enough to it. The main differences are the hops. I used Hallertau Tradition as i had it, then chucked in some simcoe for bittering and a little tettnang as i ran out of Saaz B and Hallertau Tradition.
Come to think of it, it's not that similar...
Pitched this morning.
I'm very keen to see how this one turns out.

Amount Item
2.40 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston)
1.80 kg Pale Malt, Golden Promise (Thomas Fawcett)
0.20 kg Caramalt (Barret Burston)

12.00 gm Saaz-B [8.00 %] (45 min)
10.00 gm Simcoe [12.20 %] (45 min)
12.00 gm Hallertau Tradition [5.70 %] (15 min)
16.00 gm Saaz-B [8.00 %] (15 min)
6.00 gm Tettnang [4.10 %] (15 min)
20.00 gm Hallertau Tradition [5.70 %] (0 min)
20.00 gm Saaz-B [8.00 %] (0 min)

2.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min)
2.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min)

1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

Cheers
Al

Brewed this one up today, the combination of the B Saaz and Hallertau in the boil smelt very promising!

Currently no-chilling in the cube and I'm tossing up between the US05 yeast I have on standby or popping down the bottle-o and grabing a long neck of Coopers Pale and using the free yeast that comes with that. I have had a slight bready background flavour with the Coopers yeast before and it might be a nice addition to this brew.

Either way I'm sure it will be a nice keg filler for the last month of summer ahead of us :D

I'm planning on doing an alt next week, so reckon i'll use 1007 in this first and use the yeast cake for the Alt.

anyone going to suggest otherwise?

PS: the one i tried to make a few posts above got infected and tipped.

I'm planning on doing an alt next week, so reckon i'll use 1007 in this first and use the yeast cake for the Alt.

anyone going to suggest otherwise?

PS: the one i tried to make a few posts above got infected and tipped.

Doing this beer tommorow. I have a pack of 3068, should i smack it today or pitch us-05?

Don't want to waste the liquid yeast if it's not to style, but i can't find the recipe i bought the yeast for.... :rolleyes:

About to crush the grain on this one. I'm going to use Pilsner malt (got loads of it) in place of Golden Promise.

Hope it makes a tasty beer!

I hadn't seen this thread before, until it got grave-dug :p and fail to see how it's Aussie, apart from being brewed here.

If you want a really nice True All-Aussie wheat, try a bog standard Coopers Sparkling clone, but use 50% Wheat plus all the usual suspects (Ale malt, POR, recultured Coopers)
The wheat just seems to lift it to a new level.

As posted elsewhere:

cooperswheatieLarge.jpg

Edit: came second in a mincomp last week, last bottle :( :(

Hey Tony
I mash in a cooler so don't do step mashes. I'm going to give this recipe a try shortly. What does the protein rest in this recipe do? Do you think it will make much difference if I just do a single infusion?
Cheers
Molly

The protein rest does lots of little things, but is not an essential step. Its just good to do if you can.

Single infusion will be fine.

cheers

The protein rest does lots of little things, but is not an essential step. Its just good to do if you can.

Single infusion will be fine.

cheers
Thanks Tony

I'll give it a try in the next few weeks.

Cheers

Molly

Tony this is going to be my next brew, i use US05 alot and thought i might like a change of yeast, do you think S33 Safale would work for this brew

Cheers
Rob

Back