RecipeDB - Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good work mate. This is a nice beer.

Save your left over hops for next time. Store them in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.

25 grams of yeast seems like a lot. On the craftbrewer website they sell it in a 2x 12g pack. 12 grams would be enough for a brew of that size.

Cheers

MOM

Sorry, i meant the 12 grams. But figured this might also be too much.

I'd not seen http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html before, but will have a look

Hi,

I was just wondering about adding a whirfloc tablet to this recipe, and when it would be good to add it in? People say about 10mins before the boil is finished, but does that change with the recipe since there is a hop addition after the boil?

Thanks,
Nathan

[Edit] Also, am I on the right track with beersmith? I added in a scaled down recipe (using a 19lt pot and doing an 11lt batch following the basics of this guide). I also used less hops because I wanted to go with something that would be on the safer side until I get used to working with bitterness, etc.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Scaled Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale
Brewer: Nathan
Asst Brewer:
Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 11.00 L
Boil Size: 15.63 L
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 9.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 28.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 80 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.25 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 91.84 %
0.20 kg Wheat, Torrified (3.3 EBC) Grain 8.16 %
5.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.60 %] (80 min) Hops 15.6 IBU
5.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.60 %] (20 min) Hops 9.0 IBU
7.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.60 %] (5 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
11.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.60 %] (0 min) Hops -
6gm SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

mate the wirfloc will pull down the protien in the boil 10-15 min from the end of the boil is fine, once you have added the 0min addition of hops and your wort has been chilled just make a whirlpool in your kettle,cover then let sit for another 10 or so min, all the hop debris will settle at the bottom.

Hi,

I was just wondering about adding a whirfloc tablet to this recipe, and when it would be good to add it in? People say about 10mins before the boil is finished, but does that change with the recipe since there is a hop addition after the boil?

Thanks,
Nathan

[Edit] Also, am I on the right track with beersmith? I added in a scaled down recipe (using a 19lt pot and doing an 11lt batch following the basics of this guide). I also used less hops because I wanted to go with something that would be on the safer side until I get used to working with bitterness, etc.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Scaled Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale
Brewer: Nathan
Asst Brewer:
Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 11.00 L
Boil Size: 15.63 L
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 9.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 28.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 80 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.25 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 91.84 %
0.20 kg Wheat, Torrified (3.3 EBC) Grain 8.16 %
5.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.60 %] (80 min) Hops 15.6 IBU
5.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.60 %] (20 min) Hops 9.0 IBU
7.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.60 %] (5 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
11.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.60 %] (0 min) Hops -
6gm SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

I made this beer about two months ago with the NSauvin a friend gave to me to try, kegged it and let it sit to keg carbonate. Tapped the keg just after christmas.
It is a brilliant light summer quaffer, can you can really get a taste for the Nelson Sauvin.
Thanks for the recipe!

mate the wirfloc will pull down the protien in the boil 10-15 min from the end of the boil is fine, once you have added the 0min addition of hops and your wort has been chilled just make a whirlpool in your kettle,cover then let sit for another 10 or so min, all the hop debris will settle at the bottom.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me!

By the time I get around to actually making this beer summer will be over lol. Hopefully it wont come to that and I'll actually be able to do it in the next couple days though. Really looking forward to trying the whole process out.

And if anyone has any comments on the recipe I posted above I'd really like to hear them.

Thanks
Nathan

[Edit] Also, is 64c the mash in/out temp?

I did this one the other night on a 60 minute boil. I added my first lot of hops at 40 minutes as I was no chilling. So far, so good. I came back out about 20 minutes later and the gas had ran out and being too inebriated to drive, I had to leave it be. So, it was probably only boiled for maybe 30-50 minutes. Will this result in a bad brew? Obviously I had more wort into my cube than normal.

This beer was beautiful ...... it did not last long and I am brewing it again as we speak.
Great simple recipe Ross - Thank you
Cheers
BBB

Any wisdom on what to do if you want to no-chill this?

Would you throw the -10 hops in just before your whirlpool was dying down?

Or perhaps cube hop them?

Hi Stux,

I recently brewed this using "no chill". I actually did a mini boil ~2L using some of the wort that I retrieved after collecting the trub and letting it settle in the fridge overnight. I boiled the wort for 10 mins and added the hops at 5mins and 0mins then added it directly to the fermenter through a strainer at pitching time.

I cracked open my first bottle of this about a week ago and it turned out great, plenty of flavour and aroma.

I have also had some good success with other brews using a French press (coffee plunger) and doing late additions separately and adding them to the fermenter when racking.

Cheers
Simon

Brewing this today...

I tried something different. I paid a little more attention to the mash and stirred for the first 20mins, for 10mins at 1hr and and 20 while getting up to 76deg for mash out. To cut a long story a little shorter, I have estimated that I'll get an efficiency of around 84% instead of my usual 70%.

Should I up the bittering additions, bearing in mind the NS can be a little harsh in larger bittering quantities?

Your help is appreciated.

bullsneck.

I brewed this the a few weeks back. I kegged it on the weekend. Its now drinking fantastically... real quaffer... even SWMBO loves it..

I don't think the keg is going to last very long!

4.5KG TF Floor Malted GP
.4KG Wey Wheat

The actual brew day turned into a disaster. You see I was playing with Hop Flowers for the first time... ever...

Well, my siphon blocked and blocked and blocked and blocked... etc...

In the end I used a jug to bail the wort into my cube!!!!

Lets forget about that ;)

I ended up deciding that the fermenter samples didn't have anywhere near enough aroma, so decided to do my first french pressing with the remaining 30g of NS flowers...

1 minute steep, add, then a 5 minute re-steep and add

That was fun :)))

I think the beer came out a little bit too bitter, most likely due to the extended time with the late hops at hot temps

but colour, head retention, flavour, etc are all great, and aroma... mmmmmm....

OG was 1.048, FG 1.008

I'm going to try a different approach in future with cubing... will simply shift all hop additions down 15 minutes (or 10?) and any that fall out of the boil will be done with the french press

(Mash Eff was 93.7%, Brew House was 64% after all the splashing and trub losses!!! but still managed to fill the keg ;))

So I blew out the keg 17 days after tapping it.

Each glass was less hazy than the last, and the final glass was clear. heh.

That was primarily personal consumption, and I've *never* finished a keg that quick!!! damn.

I no chilled the beer

I ended up putting all additions in the boil, and then decided that I should re-add the last addition into the fermenter via french press, as there wasn't enough aroma.

It turned out *slightly* more bitter than I would like, but the aroma was there and awesome.

Next Time, Since I no-chill, I would bring forward the additions by 15 minutes, and put the final addition directly into the fermenter with the double infused french press

So I'm looking to brew a summer quaffer tomorrow but don't have Nelson Sauvin on hand. Any suggestions as to whether which of Simcoe, Amarillo, Chinook or Centennial would work best? I want to stick with a single hop. Anyone tried these?

Grain and grape have some in stock (well they did last weekend) - if you have time to get down there.

no affiliation.

Is it okay to use Bourghal (cracked wheat) in place of the Torrified Wheat??

Loving this beer. Did it at 33ish IBU with the exact hopping regime suggested by Ross (I no chill so I did some hopping post cubing with a small boil). Found it to be a little lacking in terms of aroma and flavour so I popped 30g in the keg. After 3 days it's a cracker. Overall, loving this beer though ross. I reckon with a chiller it'd be very similar to what im drinking now, I just needed that extra kick due to my methods. Malt bill is supportive, grainy but clean. Really showcases the hops in a lovely way. I love the balance. Could see myself smashing pints of this in the heat.

Next brew after the next. ;)
Haven't done this for about 5 years & so need to take all good info on board in the next couple of weeks.
Vastly overdid the flavour hops component last time so lesson learnt.

TP

did this as my 2nd AG brew.

managed 18L into the fermenter due to my insane Mongolian burner attempting to launch itself into space (im trying to source a needle valve for a bit more control). topped it upto 21L with water, my gravity started out at 1046 & after a week its now down to 1010.

drank the entire hydrometer sample and its really light & good kick of bitterness.

MMM 50L of this just finished fermenting @ 1010. can't wait to keg it!! Thanks Ross

DSC_1129.JPG

Brewed this and it is a really easy drinking quaffer. I think next time I'll sub the wheat for Rye to give a bit more complexity to the malt.

Latest posts

Back