RecipeDB - Lucas' Smoked Choc Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucas

Nanobrewer
Reaction score

Lucas' Smoked Choc Porter

Ale - Robust Porter
All Grain
* * * * * 10 Votes

Brewer's Notes

carafa and pale chocolate milled separately and cold steeped overnight. stirred into mash at first sparging.

brew water prepared with sodium met to knock out chloramines.

5.2 ph stabliser used in the mash.

boil done in 50L kettle, boiled for about an hour to evaporate some wort then topped up with more run off from the mash. probably about 50L preboil, final volume around 42L. NFI what the og was (too lazy to check), FG is a little high at about 1.015-1.020.

yeast used was about 2 cups of slurry of wyeast Scottish ale yeast

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
4 kg Bairds Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt
2.5 kg Weyermann Smoked
1.5 kg Weyermann Munich I
1.25 kg Weyermann Caramunich II
0.3 kg Bairds Light Chocolate Malt
0.3 kg Weyermann Carafa Special II
0.25 kg Weyermann Caraaroma

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
30 g Magnum (Pellet, 14.0AA%, 90mins)
20 g Goldings, East Kent (Pellet, 5.0AA%, 10mins)

Yeast

500 ml Wyeast Labs 1728 - Scottish Ale

Misc

1 g Irish Moss
45L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.049 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.014 (calc)
  • Bitterness 27.8 IBU
  • Efficiency 70%
  • Alcohol 4.54%
  • Colour 66 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Conditioning 1 days

Looks nice! that's a fair whack of caramunich!!

How does it taste and would you change anything?

scroll thru the 2009 Vic Xmas in July tasting thread here for people's tasting notes/comments

edit: it was a great beer

Looks nice! that's a fair whack of caramunich!!

How does it taste and would you change anything?

Was probably my favourite beer of the swap.

Mind you I've been slack, and still have a couple to go.

Lucas, you got my 5 stars

I just made this about a week ago, and after most of the fermentation, all I can say is "smoke". Not sure if this is going to largely mellow out during the conditioning (I'm hoping it will), but after Fourstar's review, it didn't seem like the OP's recipe delivered much of the same smokiness I'm getting. Anyway, still very tasty, and can't wait to try it in a month's time. Seem to have hit the FG of around 1.013-14 pretty quickly, too. Thanks, Lucas!

I made this a few weeks back and had a preview taste last night - used Nottingham dry yeast and left it in the fermenter for 12 days. Really nice balanced flavour :icon_drool2: , just the right heaviness to be able to have a couple of schooners. Definitely will make this again.

Yeah, I made this about 6 months ago. It is a pretty nice beer. Hang on to some, Logman. Really hits its straps at about the 2 month mark (bottled).

[EDIT: "pretty mice" - Yeah, she's cute. Big ears, but.]

Ha ha, I kind of got the impression it might be an improver, but new it was going to be torture to leave it alone.

How smokey was yours bum? I note the previous poster says his was super smokey, but on my first taste I just thought the smoke blended in, certainly didn't jump out at me.

There's definitely noticeable smoke so if alizzan doesn't drink a lot of beers of the style then I can see why he'd say that . But I agree, the smokiness isn't overtly aggressive. Very far from Schlenkerla Urbok levels (which is fine, I'm sure that Lucas wasn't aiming for that). Considering making it again but with Bestmalz smoked instead but that's just for personal preference - anyone wanting to make this one should do it as described in the recipe. Very nice.

I'm going to brew this one the weekend, but going to add around 50g of oak chips for the last week of fermentation.

Just because I can. :D

Hang on to some, Logman. Really hits its straps at about the 2 month mark (bottled).
Back in November I bottled two stubbies. Put them away at the time after you suggested that and cracked them on the weekend - bloody fantastic! Going to do a keg and put it away for 3-4 months.

Great recipe for Porter lovers this one :icon_drool2:

Weird. I had my last 2 bottles last week. Yeah, really nice recipe.

Im thinking of brewing this recipe and added it into brew mate. I had to tweak it slightly to match the EBC.

I would appreciate someone checking it over for me?

choc_porter.PNG

If you stick pretty close to his recipe you can't go wrong.

To be honest, I can't say I've ever found any brew program to be remarkably accurate in colour prediction for my beers (this could easily say more about my process than their calculations, of course). If it were me, the only adjustments I'd be making would be to hit his OG and IBU on my system - for the first batch anyway.

Thanks Bum, I played around with the grains to get the EBC closer but I dont know much about the different grains and their effect on the brew, so was really running blind.

Ive noticed the same with my recipes, my EBC is always off in brewmate from what the recipe states.

I will match OG and IBU and stick with that.

Thanks Bum, I played around with the grains to get the EBC closer but I dont know much about the different grains and their effect on the brew, so was really running blind.

Ive noticed the same with my recipes, my EBC is always off in brewmate from what the recipe states.
I will match OG and IBU and stick with that.
Unless ur ebc is heaps off is goinv to make buger all differance, esp in a dark beer

As for grain characters.etc. U really should learn that. Funnily enougb it helps your brewing ;) . If u want a referance.chart, search 'grain guide' or 'grain chart' or 'grain comparison' posts by myself in tge search function. Ive poated a few guides up before. They ate really useful. Or u can gooe tge search terms.and youll find similar ones

Unless ur ebc is heaps off is goinv to make buger all differance, esp in a dark beer

As for grain characters.etc. U really should learn that. Funnily enougb it helps your brewing ;) . If u want a referance.chart, search 'grain guide' or 'grain chart' or 'grain comparison' posts by myself in tge search function. Ive poated a few guides up before. They ate really useful. Or u can gooe tge search terms.and youll find similar ones

Thanks for the tips, I will search for your links.

Alto sote buges wil halp in the sarchn.

Latest posts

Back