RecipeDB - Little Fella's Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you send me a link to someone who sells it so I know what I'm looking for?

xredwood said:
Can someone help me out a bit with this recipe? I tried to download the beersmith file but it just says error importing file every time. I'm trying to order the grain but I can't find the BB Pale Malt, should I just use Ale Malt? Is the Pale Malt the same as the Pilsner Pale Malt?

Looking through the forums there is an issue importing beersmith 1 files on a mac. Is there anyone out there who has a beersmith 2 file they could send me?
Pale malt will be fine, but it isn't the same as pilsner malt. Pilsner malt is slightly lighter, but would still be ok to use. I tend to use maris otter for most of my ales, and used it the last time I made this one. Result was the best beer I'd made for quite a while.

JD

OK I've had a crack at scaling this recipe and adjusting it for this years hops. I have never done anything like this before so can someone have a look for me and see how bad I screwed it up? I notice in the original the AA % for Cascade was significantly lower (7.4 vs 6) so I have adjusted most of these values down. I'm just not sure that I was supposed to do this for all of them or I was just supposed to decrease the amounts of the 60 min hops. Anyway, I have attached what I came up with, please feel free to adjust or add any pointers!

Cheers,
Xander

View attachment LFPA Attempt.pdf

Looks groovy baby
Yesterday I went with 3.5kg pale 1kg munich1 250g carapills and 250g wheat, and sg was 1.042 exacery
,next time I think id like it higher so will try 4kg pale 1.2kg munich1 300g carapills and 300g wheat.
hops look fine to me

By fresh do you mean flowers or just are they old? I'll be making an order for pellets from craftbrewer specifically to make this one

Just wondering because you said you adjusted for this years hops, thought you might have fresh whole hops.
I've read you can use 10% less if your using pellets

Oh right sorry, I just meant this years as in the AA% is different to the original recipe

How'd you go brewing this xredwood? Nearly ready to taste yet?

Only just got to brew it yesterday unfortunately. Didn't exactly go to plan. Need to mess around a bit with my boil off rate and loss to chiller etc in Beersmith as I ended up with closer to 23L than 20L and obviously at a lower gravity. Hopefully will taste ok still.

Sorry to do a three year bump guys, but the Beersmith file doesn't seem to work anymore and isn't showing up in a search on the site/app.

On the off chance you still frequent these parts argon, would you have an update at all mate?

As it so happens, my little fella is turning one in a month so I need to brew a few kegs of something not too 'out there' to keep everyone happy on the big day... wanted to do a Creatures Pale clone, how aptly named this one is haha!

Cheers guys.

Here ya go !

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Little Fella's Pale Ale
Brewer: Parks
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 55.33 l
Post Boil Volume: 52.52 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 50.00 l
Bottling Volume: 50.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 10.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 44.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.0 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -
8.0 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (6.3 EB Grain 2 72.7 %
2.0 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 3 18.2 %
0.5 kg Carafoam (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 4 4.5 %
0.5 kg Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 5 4.5 %
20.0 g Chinook [11.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 11.6 IBUs
10.0 g Cascade [6.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 3.1 IBUs
20.0 g Cascade [6.40 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 3.8 IBUs
20.0 g Chinook [11.80 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 9 7.0 IBUs
2.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 10 -
30.0 g Cascade [6.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 3.4 IBUs
30.0 g Chinook [11.80 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 12 6.3 IBUs
50.0 g Cascade [6.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 13 3.1 IBUs
50.0 g Chinook [11.80 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 14 5.8 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast 15 -
40.0 g Cascade [6.40 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
40.0 g Chinook [11.80 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 11.0 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 28.69 l of water at 74.4 65.6 C 75 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 38.66 l water at 75.6 C
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still have it. Try this, I'm not much good at this importing / exporting files palaver.

If that doesn't work, you can try dragging the link from the earlier post #203 onto your desktop and opening or dragging it into BeerSmith. Maybe right clicking it and choosing to open it with BeerSmith might work.

Attachments

• Little Fella's Pale Ale.bsmx
    27.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Yes! Worked a treat mate, thanks a ton.

Booked in to brew on the 100l nano brewery out at Home Make It in Clayton tomorrow morning, definitely needed to have the Beersmith file to help me upscale. Could see myself screwing something up majorly if I was just going off a printout of the screencap :D

When I brewed this I was really dissapointed with it after kegging it, almost chucked it but it aged very well, brewed it in March and still have a couple of bottles of it left, bottles tasting really good now.

Sure it will be fine, was one of my first brews so I probably screwed it up a bit, also couldn't get any chinook so used columbus so not exactly same recipe.

Latest posts

Back