RecipeDB - Little Creatures Bright Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutey - everyone drinks this - I try to do this every 3rd to 4th brew because it disappears within minutes of being adequately carbonated haha

Even my gfs old man asks about this whenever we drop out to the farm for a feed...I take beer each time and he gladly drinks it but he nostalgically refers to this one haha...

Yep, everyone seems to love it. Took a party keg to a mates BBQ. His wifes father was there and said it was the best beer he'd had in his life.
Big ups for Tony there or the old man was a poor sheltered old fool. I think the former.
BTW I use 1272 as well.

I am making a batch of this today. I scaled it down to 42L using brewmate. I couldnt' get B Saaz, so I have subsituted czech saaz. I know they are different, but i did it this way before and everyone really liked it.

As the czech saaz are only 3.6% AA I have adjusted the quantity accordingly (pretty much doubling the amount), but the IBU's are at 43.8 which seems way too bitter. I can't remember exactly what I did last time, but I am sure it wasn't that bitter. Does anyone have any suggestions or better ideas on hop quantities?

LC Bright Ales (American Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 4.91 %
Colour (SRM): 3.7 (EBC): 7.2
Bitterness (IBU): 43.8 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

67% Pilsner
20% Vienna
7% Carapils (Dextrine)
6% Wheat Malt

0.4 g/L Cascade (6.8% Alpha) @ 45 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 45 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Cascade (6.8% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
1.3 g/L Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Cascade (6.8% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)
1.7 g/L Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

It's the no chill factor that's buggering up your ibu's, my last LCBA came to 28.8 ibu's, when I ticked the no chill button on brewmate and it bumped it to 51 ibu's. Maybe add the 20min and flame out additions after it's cooled down.

I some searches on "no chill and bittering" yesturday and found this thread http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=28155 what Thirsty Boy has to say is very informative.

It's the no chill factor that's buggering up your ibu's, my last LCBA came to 28.8 ibu's, when I ticked the no chill button on brewmate and it bumped it to 51 ibu's. Maybe add the 20min and flame out additions after it's cooled down.

I some searches on "no chill and bittering" yesturday and found this thread http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=28155 what Thirsty Boy has to say is very informative.

You're right, it jumps from 27 to 43 when you click on the no chill box

thanks for the tip

Just a quick question on the hopping.

Still learning as I go, but on this recipe, it has 0 min hop additions. If it doesnt specify flameout/dry hop, what do I assume it is?

Is there much difference between dry hopping into 18 degree wort, or hopping the same amount at flamout then sticking the immersion chiller
straight in to drop temps?

Hope its not a noob question, just havent hit this one yet.

Thanks heaps

The 0min addition is flameout, just let the hop bag sit for 30 mins straight after you turn off the heat. The hops will produce more flavour when its at a higher temp the dry hopping which will give more aroma.

I dont see anything about boil time.. with the first hop addition being 45mins I would assume a 60mins boil.. With such a high Pilsner grain bill isn't there a little "rule" whould be a 75/90min boil?

This is my 5th go of this beer. Wy1272, starting to slowly work out water additions, this time around I also emphasized the motueka over the cascade and bumped the temp up on the wy1272 for some extra fruit. This is a clear as I could hope for with my regime - no finings other than whirfloc in the kettle and jus a few weeks cold conditioning.

LCBA_screenshot.png

Fantastic.

This is my 5th go of this beer. Wy1272, starting to slowly work out water additions, this time around I also emphasized the motueka over the cascade and bumped the temp up on the wy1272 for some extra fruit. This is a clear as I could hope for with my regime - no finings other than whirfloc in the kettle and jus a few weeks cold conditioning.

View attachment 52039

Fantastic.
Looking good Rich, nice and clear.

Chers
Chris

Tony,

I reckon im going to give this a shot and do a 50L batch. Just wondering if id be right to use bohemian pilsner to sub the pilsner. Haven't brewed with it yet and I have a sack so not sure what boh pils will bring to the party?
:icon_cheers:

View attachment 52039

Fantastic.

Wash that texta off your arm mate.

You shall both fall prey to the dragon leg's "darkness sweep from next to the bulldog's jawz" which puts you into the next realm....

View attachment 52039

Fantastic.

Awsome :beerbang:

Tony,

I reckon im going to give this a shot and do a 50L batch. Just wondering if id be right to use bohemian pilsner to sub the pilsner. Haven't brewed with it yet and I have a sack so not sure what boh pils will bring to the party?
:icon_cheers:

Do it..... its a wonderful malt but its not "that" different if you are just doing infusion mashing.

It will be great....... i LOVE bohemien pils.

Awsome :beerbang:

Do it..... its a wonderful malt but its not "that" different if you are just doing infusion mashing.

Tony,

How would you mash the Boh pils to get the most out of it?

Sorry, off topic.

Lecterfan....noice

[/quote]

I was thinking a mash schedule like this:

TEMP: 55/62/67/72/78
TIME: 5/10/60/10/10

see how she goes and i'll let you know cheers mate.

To get the best from boh pils you need to decoction mash it. It is a great pisner malt but if your usig it in infusion mashing, i have found its almost the same as normal weyermann pils, juts a little bit extra meat if you know what i mean.

Its really bread for pilsners but a simple infusion step up of:

52 deg for 10 min
64 to 65 for an hour
71 deg for 15 min and mash out at this.

thats what i would do..... no mater what malt i used :)

cheers

Funny that you say that Tony as I have been doing your mash regime the last 5 brews (all sorts, wheats, ales, lager etc) and I think it has made a real difference. I use to whack it all in (biab) at 68C for 66C mash, now I'm stepping and I think it makes better beer.
Cheers
BBB

To get the best from boh pils you need to decoction mash it. It is a great pisner malt but if your usig it in infusion mashing, i have found its almost the same as normal weyermann pils, juts a little bit extra meat if you know what i mean.

Its really bread for pilsners but a simple infusion step up of:

52 deg for 10 min
64 to 65 for an hour
71 deg for 15 min and mash out at this.

thats what i would do..... no mater what malt i used :)

cheers

I just used a Boh Pils for my saison and kind of stepped for the first time;

TEMP: 63/67/75
TIME: 70/10/10

just need to slot in a protein rest.

Feeling ok about it.

Hi all, I brewed a batch of this and think it is awesome :rolleyes: I have been bottle conditioning (750ml) and have found that the sediment isn't 'locked down' so I only get a crystal clear pour for the first half of the bottle and the second half is cloudy. I have tried decanting slowly, cooling the bottles for days in the fridge etc. but I can't seem to pour without distrubing the sediment. The yeast I used was US-05 x 2 packs for 38L into the FV. Previously I have not had this issue with US-05 (although I had been using slightly more yeast as per the John Palmer guide). Any thoughts as to what has caused this? Cheers!

Back