RecipeDB - Little Creatures Bright Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only photo I took of this brew - the keg was near empty after the superbowl!

DSCN4186.JPG

Got a shithouse efficiency on this brew as my mill gap had slipped out slightly without my knowledge!

I added a hop tea when I kegged this, however it didn't really need it. I was pleasantly suprised how this brew changed and improved significantly over the first few weeks in the keg.

Recipe: 44 Tony's LCBA

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 31.36 L
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 13.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 35.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 52.00 %
Boil Time: 120 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.50 kg Pilsner (4.0 EBC) Grain 64.69 %
1.10 kg Vienna (7.0 EBC) Grain 20.33 %
0.50 kg Wheat (raw) (3.9 EBC) Grain 9.24 %
0.19 kg Caramunich I (90.0 EBC) Grain 3.51 %
0.12 kg Carapils (4.0 EBC) Grain 2.22 %
10.00 gm Amarillo [8.00 %] (45 min) Hops 10.1 IBU
10.00 gm Williamette [4.90 %] (45 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
20.00 gm Saaz [3.50 %] (45 min) Hops 8.9 IBU
10.00 gm Saaz [3.50 %] (20 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo [8.60 %] (20 min) Hops 7.2 IBU
25.00 gm Amarillo [8.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
20.00 gm Saaz [3.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 tsp DAP (Diammonium phosphate) (Boil 15.0 min)Misc
0.50 items Whirlfloc (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
24.00 L 1 Parkside (SA Water - Hope Valley) Water
1 Pkgs 1056 American Ale (Wyeast #1056) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: 1 RIMS - Single Infusion temp
Total Grain Weight: 5.41 kg
----------------------------
1 RIMS - Single Infusion temp
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 16.23 L of water at 70.3 C 65.0 C
10 min Mash Out Heat to 78.0 C over 5 min 78.0 C

G'day all..

Recently made this, and it turned out wrong wrong wrong...

Had almost a Wheatbeer flavour to it... I put it down to either the wrong grain bill being sent, or some dodgy yeast...

Definitely not an infection...

Thinking of ditching the US-05 I have on hand, and giving some recently cultured Coopers Green yeast a go...

Any thoughts?

Cheers in advance.

You didnt pitch a pack of WB-06 instead did you?

sounds like it had an infection.

You didnt pitch a pack of WB-06 instead did you?

sounds like it had an infection.

Definitely US-05 Tony...

Could be an infection?

As I said, it was definitely still drinkable, yet just not right..

I thought maybe the HB supplier had forgotten the Carapils and had doubled up on the wheat perhaps.. Hmmm...

What sort of infection could throw wheat-esque flavours mate?

Cheers.

Oh god knows........ id just chalk it up to experience and try again!

I brewed a half batch again of this last weekend and pitched yeast on it yesterday.

OG @ 25C ambient was 1040, which is 1042 for my hydro, so got that exact, surprising since I did not take a single gravity reading through the brew to cubing, no water corrections, no PH testing (all my gear was still on a truck).

Its sitting at a chilled 14-16C with the help of Mr Thermi-ice and a frozen bottle and sporting a healthy krausen 24 hours from when I pitched.

btw, I just Love Mouteka. Threw in an unmeasured small handful into the fermentor to dry hop :ph34r: The smell is friggin awesome.

I made a bastardized version of this for extract!

I didn't have any cascade so I used centennial with a touch of galaxy. I had heaps of Motueka flowers so I whacked a bit extra in :D

23l
1 x 1.5kg Coopers Light malt extract
500g dry light malt extract
500g dry wheat malt extract
250g TF Pale Crystal
300g dextrose
90g Motueka - 30g @ 40, 20g @ 20, 40g @ 0
45g Centennial - 15g @ 40, 10g @ 20, 20g @ 0
15g Galaxy - 5g @ 40, 3g @ 20, 7g @ 0
US-05

A fair bit stronger and more mouthful than LCBA, though I haven't tasted one for a while so I'll have to do a side by side at some point. I doubt it will be close, but I don't really care as it's a delicious drop anyway.

Anyone tried using Wyeast 1272 with this recipe?

5 days in primary and it's dropped to 1012 from 1042. There has been a THICK spongelike Krausen on top for 4 days now. I never had such a stubborn Krausen!

The only thing really different was that I dryhopped a little at start of ferment.

Is this normal? Btw, ferment has gone on @14-18. I was expecting it to have fermented out by now, I pitched a rehydrated half sachet of yeast that had just started to chew up a wort sample collected from top of the trub, shot off pretty quickly. My mash wa a bit all over the place, ranging from 67 - 70 but I kept it ~67-66 as much as I could.

PS: hydro sample was pale as heck and tasted bloody fantastic.

Anyone tried using Wyeast 1272 with this recipe?

Hell yes......i actually only use this yeast for American beers now days..... much better!

5 days in primary and it's dropped to 1012 from 1042. There has been a THICK spongelike Krausen on top for 4 days now. I never had such a stubborn Krausen!

The only thing really different was that I dryhopped a little at start of ferment.

Is this normal? Btw, ferment has gone on @14-18. I was expecting it to have fermented out by now, I pitched a rehydrated half sachet of yeast that had just started to chew up a wort sample collected from top of the trub, shot off pretty quickly. My mash wa a bit all over the place, ranging from 67 - 70 but I kept it ~67-66 as much as I could.

PS: hydro sample was pale as heck and tasted bloody fantastic.

67 to 70 is a warm mash for this beer. I usually mash a beer like this at 64 to 65 to get the FG down low for a nice dry finnish to help the hops pop :icon_drool2:

i bet it will be awsome though!

enjoy.

Hell yes......i actually only use this yeast for American beers now days..... much better!

Yeh I'm a big fan of the 1272 , goes well with Dr Smurtos Golden Ale as well.
Thanks for the reply

OK, I want to brew: Stone & Wood inspired ale this time.

And, I'm wayyyy happy with the malt profile of this LCBA. bn loving it.

Any thoughts upon using this grain bill but subbing the hop schedule of:

Australian Galaxy (13.0 % alpha) 20 g Loose Whole Hops used 20 Min From End
Australian Galaxy (13.0 % alpha) 20 g Loose Whole Hops used 10 Min From End
Australian Galaxy (13.0 % alpha) 20 g Loose Whole Hops used 5 Min From End
Australian Galaxy (13.0 % alpha) 40 g Loose Whole Hops used Dry-Hopped

^ sort of and maybe even dry hopping with half mouteka/half galaxy?

Thoughts...?

maybe start a new thread with the beer you want in the title and people who know the beer will help im sure.

Proabaly not the best place for help on that one.

Well I got my friends and myself a little drunk on your original recipe, except for the fact I used Centennial instead of Cascade and used US-05. It's been 13 days carbonating and is delicious. Thanks Tony! Great recipe.

I'm off to bed.

Just gave a couple of workmates each a "sample" glass of my first attempt at this recipe & received very favourable comments ... including "...if this was on tap at my local I would park myself at the bar in front of the tap" & "you should bottle this and get them to sell it here" (pointing to the cafe that we where sitting outside the front of)

Thanks for the great recipe ... it will be a regular of mine!

<quick edit> .. used Saaz as B Saaz not available ... increased the weight to match IBU's... used Wyeast 1056 American Ale as LHBS didn't have Whitelabs in stock </>

Just gave a couple of workmates each a "sample" glass of my first attempt at this recipe & received very favourable comments ... including "...if this was on tap at my local I would park myself at the bar in front of the tap" & "you should bottle this and get them to sell it here" (pointing to the cafe that we where sitting outside the front of)

Thanks for the great recipe ... it will be a regular of mine!

<quick edit> .. used Saaz as B Saaz not available ... increased the weight to match IBU's... used Wyeast 1056 American Ale as LHBS didn't have Whitelabs in stock </>

I did amarillo and saaz on my first attempt of this (was my first full AG)...I've now done this a fair few times now...if you like LCBA wait until you do this recipe with cascade and motueka/b-saaz...very different beast to your current quencher and spot on to the original, but you can tweak it be even better for your preference!!!

As far as other people's recipes go, this is has just snuck ahead of Argons LFPA by a nose in my most-utilised. I up the IBUs a touch and use wy1272 now.

I've made this 3 times now. All three times its been loved. The first time I couldn't get any B-Saaz so I used Amarillo and cascade, the B-Saaz version is just so damn good..... :icon_drool2:

Once I keg/bottle the current Galactic experiment, this is again my next brew. I'm missing it.. down to my last few bottles....

Absolutey - everyone drinks this - I try to do this every 3rd to 4th brew because it disappears within minutes of being adequately carbonated haha

Even my gfs old man asks about this whenever we drop out to the farm for a feed...I take beer each time and he gladly drinks it but he nostalgically refers to this one haha...

I am making a batch of this today. I scaled it down to 42L using brewmate. I couldnt' get B Saaz, so I have subsituted czech saaz. I know they are different, but i did it this way before and everyone really liked it.

As the czech saaz are only 3.6% AA I have adjusted the quantity accordingly (pretty much doubling the amount), but the IBU's are at 43.8 which seems way too bitter. I can't remember exactly what I did last time, but I am sure it wasn't that bitter. Does anyone have any suggestions or better ideas on hop quantities?

LC Bright Ales (American Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 4.91 %
Colour (SRM): 3.7 (EBC): 7.2
Bitterness (IBU): 43.8 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

67% Pilsner
20% Vienna
7% Carapils (Dextrine)
6% Wheat Malt

0.4 g/L Cascade (6.8% Alpha) @ 45 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 45 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Cascade (6.8% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
1.3 g/L Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Cascade (6.8% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)
1.7 g/L Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Latest posts

Back