RecipeDB - Little Creatures Bright Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you try asking for Motueka?

I ended up tracking down the B-Saaz at a different homebrew shop, so stuck to the original recipe.

Has been in the fermenter now for 4 days, I poured a little bit from the fermenter last night to have a sniff and I was pleasantly surprised with the nice hop aroma. I added the 0min hops as cube hops which seems to have worked nicely. However is this likley to dissipate over time?

na it will be fine.

Its not a beer to keep sitting around for a long time, its a drink it fresh while its good beer

cheers

I have this Brew in the fermenter now. When is the best to.dry hop? I'm planning to rack to cc after fermentation is complete.

Usually around 5 days. You will notice the krausen start to fall, that's when I generally dry hop.

Tony,or anybody else how do you think this would go with N.S. and cascade?? planning to knock this up this weekend...(got some N.S.in the hop freezer i wanna use) :beer:

I'd be thinking it would be preeeetty delicious. Aren't they the combo used in Fat Yak? Granted, the body wouldn't be as much as with the FY, but would be well quaffable

I'd be thinking it would be preeeetty delicious. Aren't they the combo used in Fat Yak? Granted, the body wouldn't be as much as with the FY, but would be well quaffable
SORTED Sponge booked in for this weekend!!!!!

This recipe definitely gets better with age, mine was a a bit more alcoholic than the original (probably needed to sparge more or gravity correct to account for the BM's good mash efficiencies). That being said I recently brewed a NS lager, so now the LCBA is sitting at 11C in the keezer/fermenter while my 2 x 23L batches ferment. Hopefully the remaining beer hasn't spoiled by the time I lager 'cos the corny is still pretty full. :mellow: If not, will try this recipe again with less wheat and/or a lower mash temperature to try and nail the correct amount of mouthfeel as with the original.

Tony, I've used your recipe malt base so many times with tweaks to suit what beer I'm going for. Made an IPA with cascade and generous NS teaball hop in the keg. Delicious. Especially after some maturing. Even used this malt bill with galaxy. This is just an overall great malt combination. Replaced Vienna with Munich for an IPA, halved the vienna and replaced with more wheat when I did a galaxy ale. Sometimes I swap the carapils with darker crystal to get more colour.

I said it before and will say it again....... its a great base to play with!

I did a lot of tweaking early on but the base malt bill is my favorite.

I am always happy when i see brewers seeing a recipe, and expanding on it to suit a style of beer they want......... that's what its all about!

try it with chech Saaz and EKG :)

I was going to brew a Kolsch tomorrow, and have some very healthy yeast ready........ but i feel like this beer now.

I also have fresh B Saaz and NZ Cascade flowers on hand.

I think i will make it and ferment with the Kolsch yeast cool to keep it cleanish. I think a touch of apple and pear will make this one interesting :)

cheers

Putting this down today! Long weekends are great :)

Brewed this as my very first (& 2nd) AG brew & it was the best beer I've ever tasted. Gonna keep brewing this recipe until I'm used to my new system & processes

Plan on cracking open the first bottle of this brew during the NRL Final. This is the second batch, first batch was fantastic

When I first made this beer it turned out to be easily the best beer I'd made. The entire keg lasted 6 days. I was doing a course that week, came home later on the Wednesday night to 'test' the carbonation, ended up drinking four pints standing at the fridge!

Itching to make it again with summer on the way. I have a feeling it'll be very popular with everyone I know.

It has been suggested this beer would be a good candidate to make as a mid strength style, leaving the hopping levels the same (or even upping them).

Has anyone done this and what mash temp would you recommend?

I am thinking of making my next batch to about 3.8% as an easy summer session beer.

I brewed this as a mid strength, but it was completely by accident
Was the first time I'd used Beersmith & messed up the initial volume, 4 litres more water than there should've been
Haven't done the calculations yet but I'm guessing it'll be mid strength

Actually, errr. I made that once. Brewed as normal, albeit step mashed. Very short protein rest, then 62 for 15 min and rest 68 for 45 min.
What ended up was I sparged it until the gravity ou of kettle fell to about 1012 and didn't realise that I'd gone way over volume. Still, chalking it to experience I hopped it to the volume in the keg, allowing an extra hour's hard boil for the final volume. Chilled in the pool, it was down to 30 in an hour.
One of the nicest easy drinking beers I ever made. I ended up with a keg an a half instead of one keg. It's the hops that shine in there, floral.
In hindsight, I'd add a little nutrient to the fermenter or kettle if doing it this light again. Also D rest with going light on this.

I have this Brew in the fermenter now. When is the best to.dry hop? I'm planning to rack to cc after fermentation is complete.

So the DB says, 7 days primary, 7 days secondary. im assuming ferment in primary at say 18C, then secondary is crash chill for a week.

Are you suggesting dry hop after approx 5 days while still in primary? OR would you move to secondary and dry hop then? I read somewhere dry hopping in the secondary was better as you dont lose the hop oils in the yeast

Latest posts

Back