RecipeDB - Little Creatures Bright Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have recently made 6 batches based on this recipe. 2 batches I subbed the carapils for caramunich 2, 4 batches I have used caramunich 1. In all cases I have subbed Amarillo for the B Saaz. Upped the OG to 1.052 for 4 batches and 1.048 for 2 batches. Noice beer.

Just after some opinions on which yeast to use for which brew... I have a cube of this and also a cube of Tony's Monteiths Original ready to go and have two starters ready... one is 1272 and the other is Ringwood...... I am thinking the 1272 for the LCBA and the Ringwood for the Montieths Original.....

Thoughts?

I do also have another cube of the LCBA so could maybe do a side by side wth the two different yeasts... Although the brews didn't end the same with one siting at 1.048 and the other at 1.038!

Do em both with 1272...... save the ringwood for a Mild or a Bitter.

Do em both with 1272...... save the ringwood for a Mild or a Bitter.

Would the ringwood be terrible in one of them? I was down to two tubes of yeast so built a starter out of both of these so have two starters ready to pitch, 1 of each yeast.... I am away for a few days from tomorrow so was going to pitch them tomorrow morning but if the ringwood won't be any good I can pitch the split the 1272 and build it further and pitch at the end of the week and keep the ringwood for a few weeks till I can brew a mild or just pitch and see what the result is!

use the ringwood in the montheiths, it will be fine.

It certainly wont be horrible.

1272 is best used in the LCBA

cheers

would using some us-05 take away from this beer at all? I couldn't really see how it could but still just interested too see if there are any opinions or thoughts

would using some us-05 take away from this beer at all? I couldn't really see how it could but still just interested too see if there are any opinions or thoughts

I did it with US-05 and it was ******* tops.

Just carbing up my second batch of this beer, the first was a belter.

Made this more of a session beer at about 3.8% and early tastes are great!

Nice hop flavour (dry hopped this one in addition to the flame out), smooth and light with nice malty finish - not watery like I was a thinking it might be.

Will be a ripper on a hot day.

Cheers again Tony.

I did this as my first AG brew.
just having my first glass now.
it was a screaming success.
it tastes virtually identical to LCBA.
Tony you're a king among men.

Yeah I've just tasted mine out of the fermenter and it was pretty much dead on to a lcba, good enough to drink then and there!
Cheers tony

Should be fine as is.
if anything, add a little.CaCl for a small calcium boost and showcase the malt character.

Hi guys and Tony,

I'm new to brewing and have just moved from malt extract to partial.
Can anyone point out Tony's original LCBA recipe for me please.

Ho guys. I'm brewing this tomorrow for the second time and was wondering if anyone has used Cascade and Citra in this recipe? I'm sticking to the original recipe, I thought I'd mix it up a bit as I have heaps of citra. Any feedback would be welcomed. I also have heaps of Amarillo so I'm open to changing the Cascade to Amarillo?

Denobrew said:
Ho guys. I'm brewing this tomorrow for the second time and was wondering if anyone has used Cascade and Citra in this recipe? I'm sticking to the original recipe, I thought I'd mix it up a bit as I have heaps of citra. Any feedback would be welcomed. I also have heaps of Amarillo so I'm open to changing the Cascade to Amarillo?
What hop schedule did you end up going with?

I went like this for a total of 28 IBU's

22.36 g

Cascade [7.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min

Hop

6.1 IBUs

10.37 g

Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min

Hop

4.8 IBUs

30.03 g

Cascade [7.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min

Hop

5.4 IBUs

17.66 g

Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min

Hop

5.4 IBUs

0.89 Items

Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)

Fining

-

Steeped Hops

Amt

Name

Type

#

%/IBU

46.00 g

Cascade [7.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min

Hop

2.5 IBUs

43.32 g

Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min

Hop

4.0 IBUs

A bit higher than I was aiming for. I'm still trying to figure out zero minute additions in BS and I adjusted the recipe to 'steep/whirlpool 10 min' after it was done. I cubed 23 liters and ended up with 42 liters in the fermenter. It was my first brew using my new system, which turns out the 80 liter pot I was sold is only 70 liters, so my numbers are all over the place.

Latest posts

Back