RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drinking this at the moment and loving it - I think I will make this my house beer. Just purchased 1kg of Amarillo the other day :D

Great brew.
I did this as my first AG.
My mates loved it, keg only lasted a week. :beerbang:

Thanks Doc

This has been my house beer for about 3 months, the last few times I have substituted the caramunich for other grains, gotta say Melanoidin has been one of the best...

I brewed a batch of this about a month ago and just tapped the keg last night - I would have to say it is one of the best beers I have made - simply exceptional. Incredibly well balanced. Not too hoppy for the boring beer drinkers but hoppy enough with a great aroma to keep the hopheads happy.

I brewed a batch of this about a month ago and just tapped the keg last night - I would have to say it is one of the best beers I have made - simply exceptional. Incredibly well balanced. Not too hoppy for the boring beer drinkers but hoppy enough with a great aroma to keep the hopheads happy.

Funny you say that, I've made this 4 times, great beer but the Amarillo of 2009 made the best beer IMO. My none craft beer mates called to tooty fruity and the hop heads just :icon_drool2:

Hey all,

I'm looking at doing a similar grain bill to the DSGA with rye, except using up a couple of left over hops I have in the freezer after a recent bulk buy

I have a small amount of galaxy, NS and amarillo which I was just going to use up in this.

I was looking at just throwing them all into the cube, with 50/25/25% amarillo/ns/galaxy, since galaxy and ns can be a little overpowering used in high quantities late in the boil

Can anyone see a problem with this combo? In theory I think it would work well, but thought I might as well ask the question in case someone has had horrible results with the mix of hops

Cheers,

Sponge

EDIT: I've also got a little chinook left over which I could always use as well/in place of one of the hops since ive just bought some more and wouldnt mind using it up.

Rye in place of wheat is my standard house ale with either of my homegrown hops - chinook or victoria.

I don't no chill so can't comment on cube hopping but those hops have all worked well in the past for me in this recipe in various combinations, chinook and amarillo one of my favourites.

Made this recipe but changed some things up a bit.

52L Batch

5.62 kg Golden Promise Malt
2.1 kg Rye Malt
1.87 kg Vienna Malt
0.59 kg Caramunich TYPE I
Amarillo (9.3%) FWH
Amarillo (9.3%) 20 min
Amarillo (9.3%) 15 min
Cascade (6.8%) 10 min
Simcoe (13.0%) 5min
Cascade (6.8%) 5min
Amarillo (9.3%) 2 min
Cascade (6.8%) 0 min
Simcoe (13.0%) 0 min
Amarillo (9.3%) 0 min

wyeast 1272

Same OG as original.

I must say im really enjoying it. It's almost like the same concept as a black IPA except the Rye makes it feel like drinking a thick creamy stout. Not for everyone but im loving it....lucky, only 48 litters to go! The hop combo is spot on I reckon. Lots of flavour and aroma. No dry hops added and I chilled this one as appose to putting it into jerrys for the night. I would like to try pilsner malt with this combo as well, maybe next time.
Cheers

IMG_0605.jpg

i had to post
i am just now drinking the extract version of this.
It is fuckin sensational..kodos to drsmurto..tastes and smells fantastic
the only difference i made was bittering with galaxy at 60mins
thankyou for the recipe,i cant stop putting my nose in the glass

46 Lt
galaxy 22g@ 60 mins
amarillo 40g@ 20 mins
amarillo 25g@ 0 mins
cascade 15g@ 0 mins
IBU 26

mark

I'm looking at using this recipe for my first AG brew. Is there anywhere in Melbourne that stocks the ingredients? Just looking at saving on shipping.

Thanks.

Grain & Grape, Keg King, Greensborough Home Brew and more I can't think of now can sort you out with what you need.

Sorry guys one more quick question regarding this recipe (for now)...

Is it necessary to transfer into a second fermenter for secondary fermentation? Or is it ok to just leave in primary and don't dry hop?

Cheers.

Secondary = not worth the risk of infection

Leave in primary for another week after you hit your FG then transfer to keg/bottles

And if your concerned about sediment in bottles, use finings but your yeast cake should be nice and compact after you give it the time it needs

Sorry guys one more quick question regarding this recipe (for now)...

Is it necessary to transfer into a second fermenter for secondary fermentation? Or is it ok to just leave in primary and don't dry hop?

Cheers.

It depends on what you are after.

I don't dry hop this and haven't for a very long time as i don't find it necessary. The flameout addition gives me all the aroma i want. If you want more aroma, dry hop. Dry hopping can be done in the primary fermenter, just wait until fermentation is done.

Racking is optional, you can simply leave it in the primary fermenter for another week after fermetnation has finished. 2 weeks total would be the minimum, 3 better.

I give my ales 2 weeks primary, rack and then 1-2+ weeks cold conditioning.

Racking is one of the many aspects of brewing that divides brewers.

I always rack as the cake at the bottom of the fermenter contains more than just yeast (proteins/polyphenols/hop resins etc) and I don't want my beer in contact with them for extended periods. Racking causes a small amount of turbulence which releases CO2 that is still in solution so as long as you rack into a sanitised container with minimal headspace, the infection risk is negligible.

It depends on what you are after.

I don't dry hop this and haven't for a very long time as i don't find it necessary. The flameout addition gives me all the aroma i want. If you want more aroma, dry hop. Dry hopping can be done in the primary fermenter, just wait until fermentation is done.

Racking is optional, you can simply leave it in the primary fermenter for another week after fermetnation has finished. 2 weeks total would be the minimum, 3 better.

I give my ales 2 weeks primary, rack and then 1-2+ weeks cold conditioning.

Racking is one of the many aspects of brewing that divides brewers.

I always rack as the cake at the bottom of the fermenter contains more than just yeast (proteins/polyphenols/hop resins etc) and I don't want my beer in contact with them for extended periods. Racking causes a small amount of turbulence which releases CO2 that is still in solution so as long as you rack into a sanitised container with minimal headspace, the infection risk is negligible.
I have never bothered with racking to secondary but lately I have been tempted to try it.
What sort of vessel to people usually rack to?
I usually make up a 23L brew so I can't rack to a corny as it won't all fit in.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back