RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at doing this famous recipe with a larger yeast. What do you people think?

Looking at doing this famous recipe with a larger yeast. What do you people think?

I would expect given lagers take longer to ferment and condition that the amarillo flavour and aroma will be greatly reduced.

I personally wouldn't.

Is temperature the reason you are thinking of using a lager yeast?

The only reason I was thinking this is because I got a heap of larger yeast in the fridge. An just wanted to experiment a little.

Cheers

Dr

Hi All,

Having a second crack at this gem, but the LHBS is out of a few things... they have offered:

Pale Ale Malt (Bairds) 5 ebc - 2.7kg
Munich I (Wey) 15ebc - 0.90kg
Wheat Malt (Wey) 2.4ebc - 0.90kg
Crystal Pale (Bairds) 95ebc - 0.285kg

The weights are from the biab spreadsheet which is scalled to my equipment - going for 20lt into the fermentor.

Anyone see a problem with this?

Cheers,
Adz

Hi All,

Having a second crack at this gem, but the LHBS is out of a few things... they have offered:

Pale Ale Malt (Bairds) 5 ebc - 2.7kg
Munich I (Wey) 15ebc - 0.90kg
Wheat Malt (Wey) 2.4ebc - 0.90kg
Crystal Pale (Bairds) 95ebc - 0.285kg

The weights are from the biab spreadsheet which is scalled to my equipment - going for 20lt into the fermentor.

Anyone see a problem with this?

Cheers,
Adz

Looks fine to me Adz

Brewed another double batch of this on Wednesday.

Same bunch of non-homebrewers that I brewed the last batch for, this time for our annual camping trip.

At the 'planning' meeting at my place last Friday night the lads confirmed this beer was required as always. 2 kegs of GA plus a keg of Landlord (it was on tap)

Used simpsons dark crystal this time, bittered with magnum and 1g/L of amarillo at 15 and 0.

Down to my last 50g of amarillo :eek:

great brew!

did it a couple weeks ago, keeged it on sunday

drinking it now, magic!!!

:beer:

My Caramunich arrived from CraftBrewer today so I'll be putting down my first batch of this famous brew over the long weekend :))

Brewed this a month ago and poured my first glass. I'm so happy with the result the keg wont last long. I did ferment with a repitch of Wyeast Danish Lager just because of the temps at the time. Thanks Dr Smurto for sharing.

daniel

Bought an urn off a guy today, he told me that this is the best beer he's ever tasted... Got some in the fermenter now!

Hi folks
Keen to have a crack at this recipe but just need some clarification on the hops

KIT VERSION
1 can Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale
1 can Coopers Wheat Malt
250g Caramalt (or other light crystal)
15g Amarillo @ 15, 5 and dry hop.
Yeast - US05

*If doing full extract, replace the can of Sparkling Ale with a can of unhopped light malt extract. Add a 60 min bittering addition of 20g of Amarillo.

Has the thinking changed on the timing for this recipe as well as the original AG recipe. Bit confused after reading all these pages :blink: .
So for the full extract recipe hops should be 20g @ 60mins.......30g @ 20 mins..........then 15g@flameout? :unsure:
cheers
Taz

Dr S, Ive got some Simpsons imperial ale malt,could i sub this instead of JW ale malt,and have you used any English noble hops in place of the U.S. ones
Cheers Glenn

Hi folks
Keen to have a crack at this recipe but just need some clarification on the hops

KIT VERSION
1 can Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale
1 can Coopers Wheat Malt
250g Caramalt (or other light crystal)
15g Amarillo @ 15, 5 and dry hop.
Yeast - US05

*If doing full extract, replace the can of Sparkling Ale with a can of unhopped light malt extract. Add a 60 min bittering addition of 20g of Amarillo.

Has the thinking changed on the timing for this recipe as well as the original AG recipe. Bit confused after reading all these pages :blink: .
So for the full extract recipe hops should be 20g @ 60mins.......30g @ 20 mins..........then 15g@flameout? :unsure:
cheers
Taz

There are a few hopping schedules in the discussion thread. If doing full extract/partial or AG you really need to calculate the bitterness which will depend on the AA% of the hops used. Beersmith works well for extract, mash brewing.

My preference is for the 60/20/0 min additions these days. For a 20L batch is would use 20g @ 20 mins and 20+g @ 0 mins. Adjust the 60 min addition to keep total IBU to ~30.

Dr S, Ive got some Simpsons imperial ale malt,could i sub this instead of JW ale malt,and have you used any English noble hops in place of the U.S. ones
Cheers Glenn

I've used styrian goldings in a sort of GA before. Never used Simpsons Imperial malt so can't comment.

If i was to use english ale malt and english hops i would brew an english ale such as my Landlord :icon_cheers:

There are a few hopping schedules in the discussion thread. If doing full extract/partial or AG you really need to calculate the bitterness which will depend on the AA% of the hops used. Beersmith works well for extract, mash brewing.

My preference is for the 60/20/0 min additions these days. For a 20L batch is would use 20g @ 20 mins and 20+g @ 0 mins. Adjust the 60 min addition to keep total IBU to ~30.

I've used styrian goldings in a sort of GA before. Never used Simpsons Imperial malt so can't comment.

If i was to use english ale malt and english hops i would brew an english ale such as my Landlord :icon_cheers:
Cheers DR.S,ive got your landlord chugging away with 1469 now.Are you able to give me any ideas with imp ale malt? i might start a new thread about it.
Im off to my LHBS soon what other malts do you think i might need,i cant find much info on the net about that malt.
cheers sorry about all the questions

Cheers DR.S,ive got your landlord chugging away with 1469 now.Are you able to give me any ideas with imp ale malt? i might start a new thread about it.
Im off to my LHBS soon what other malts do you think i might need,i cant find much info on the net about that malt.
cheers sorry about all the questions

From a cursory glance at Craftbrewer, Imperial Ale malt looks similar to amber malt in colour. Are you sure it's a base malt?

If you want to brew a GA with english hops then stick to the grainbill listed. If you want to brew an english ale that isn't a Landlord then PM me and I can give you recipes.

Not far off bottling my first attempt at this. Not that it'll surprise anyone but I tasted the grav sample last night and I'm pretty sure it's a winner. Unfortunately I'm splitting this batch with another guy, I reckon I might make it up again and reuse the US-05 so I can have some more.

Even while it was warm, flat and cloudy with yeast it tastes better than JS Golden Ale!

Hey guys I just realised I accidently pitch 34/70 haven't tasted it yet its been fermenting for nearly 2 weeks. Should I do a diacytle rest? The fermentation has been around 18 degrees.

I'll get back to you guys soon to let you know it tastes.

Thanks Dr!

My first BIAB and of course had to try the famous golden ale ;) . Only one problem though, i'm gonna need a bigger setup cos i'm drinking this waaay too quick! :D

Back