RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just cracked my first one of these after 10 days of bottle conditioning (yes i'm impatient). Carbonation was perfect, not too high, so hopefully it's mostly done (bulk primed 21 litres with 140 grams of raw sugar boiled in 250ml water).

I did this as a full extract, with a partial boil of about 7 litres. The boil was done with only 800 grams of extract added, the rest of the extract wasn't added until flameout. I adjusted the hops up a little to compensate for the partial boil, with 30 grams @ 60, 20 grams @ 20 and 30 grams at flameout. 6 days in the primary before racking to secondary for a week.

It's a hoppy *******, no doubt about it, but jeez it's a ripping drop. It's actually a while since i've had a James Squire Golden Ale, so hard to compare, but this drop does remind me a fair bit of Fat Yak, especially the lingering aftertaste.

Thinking this is going to age really well, if it gets the chance.

I adjusted the hops up a little to compensate for the partial boil, with 30 grams @ 60, 20 grams @ 20 and 30 grams at flameout.

Might be a stupid question, but is there any way to calculate adjusting hops for a partial boil? Or is it just personal experience?

hard to get fresh amarillo, last batch I done is lacking hop aroma/flavour due to the shit hops from the lhbs

has anyone subbed amarillo for anything else?

I used Brambling Cross, was a disappointment...
I've used Zythos, Galaxy and Nelson Sauvarin to great success...

It's (to steal Ross' quote) a good vehicle for testing an individual hop's properties...

Might be a stupid question, but is there any way to calculate adjusting hops for a partial boil? Or is it just personal experience?
Not stupid at all, it's a never ending quest for partial boilers everywhere....

Ianh's spreadsheet, the Kit & Extract Beer Designer, has a "Hop Concentration Factor" setting (based on the work of Garetz) that when turned on allows you to estimate how much adjustment you need to your hops based on your boil volume. But the discussion around this is suggesting that boil volumes getting towards 10 litres and above might be better off not using the HCF and just hopping as though it's a full boil. It's one of those YMMV situations.

There is just one thing that's been bugging me on this....despite this being a terrific brew, well evident by it having the highest rating of any recipe on this forum by a long shot....what is it that makes it an "English Best Bitter" rather than an American Pale Ale?

It's the US-05 yeast that makes me curious. Wouldn't an English Best Bitter normally need an S-04, WLP002/5 type of yeast?

There is just one thing that's been bugging me on this....despite this being a terrific brew, well evident by it having the highest rating of any recipe on this forum by a long shot....what is it that makes it an "English Best Bitter" rather than an American Pale Ale?

It's the US-05 yeast that makes me curious. Wouldn't an English Best Bitter normally need an S-04, WLP002/5 type of yeast?

It's been debated before if you go back to the first few pages of this discussion. It won the english bitter section at ANAWBS in 2008 (and beer of show). It is not an APA, not enough hops and too much malt. For some time there was a loophole in the entry for ANAWBS for english best bitter that allowed american hops, i think that has been closed down now.

Think of this beer as more english in style, a nice balance between the malt and hops, easy drinking, but in reality it is stuck in no mans land in between english bitter and APA and if you enter it into a BJCP comp there is no category it will do well in. I don't label it and you are not required to adhere to BJCP guidelines unless entering your beer in a comp.

Getting to the end of the rye victoria golden ale, need to brew another very soon to keep a victoria hopped beer on tap all the time.

IMG_20121218_213630.jpg

Use an online IBU calculator; I think this site has one. Doing a partial boil raises the gravity of the boil. Online IBU calculators ask for gravity before telling you how many IBUs will result; the higher the gravity, the more hops you need to obtain a given IBU. I've also seen a general rule that if your partial boil starts with half the volume of wort that you'll be fermenting, increase bittering hops by 20 - 25%, but that seems a bit high.

Gravity affects bittering only, not flavour aroma extraction, so there's no need to increase late hop additions.

Tapped another rye victoria golden ale last night using the last of the 2012 crop of Victoria. I'll be picking the 2013 crop on the weekend so the timing is great and I am easily getting enough from the plants to keep this beer on tap permanently.

Hey guys im thinking of brewing this recipe again but was thinking about using another hop. What do you guys recommend?

Dan26 said:
Hey guys im thinking of brewing this recipe again but was thinking about using another hop. What do you guys recommend?
Hey Dan, I reckon you could go with any fruity, American hop...

Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Simcoe, Citra etc.

Aussie Galaxy would probably be quite nice also.

Doc
What is the difference between the normal brew and the rye version. Is it posted anywhere or have I missed it in previous posts?

Here is a heads up for everyone.....if it doesn't have Amarillo.....it's not a DSGA. End of story!!!

Being unable to find a partial recipe for this beer I brewed this
21 litres
1.8kg Maris Otter
0.7kg Munich
0.7kg Dry Wheat Malt Extract
250g Crystal 60
35g Challenger at 60 minutes
30g Amarillo at 15 minutes
20g Amarillo at 1 minute
Wyeast 1968
Mashed at 66'C
7 litre sparge at 74'C
14 litre boil
OG 1.041
SG 1.009
ABV 4.3%

It was my best brew to date, thanks Doc for the inspiration. I have since purchased BeerSmith and intend to have a crack at a scaled version of the original recipe as I am limited by my 19l cooler and pot.

Kingy said:
Brewing up a 20 litre batch tomoz of this 2.4pils 800gms wheat 800 t1 and 250gms caramunich.
Got some Amarillo,
Does anyone want to give me a bit of help with hop schedule if I was to no chill.
Cheers
Kingy, just did one of these (small batch, BIAB no chill) and did a 60, 10, 0 minute hop schedule, 1/3 at each time, aiming for 34-35 IBU (using Brewmate with the no-chill box checked). Was a rye version, with a small amount of carabohemian instead of caramunich.

Latest posts

Back