RecipeDB - Cinnamon & Vanilla Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boingk

Reaction score

Cinnamon & Vanilla Cider

Cider - Sweet Stout
All Grain
* * * - - 7 Votes

Brewer's Notes

Sweet cider with a nice aftertaste. Buy clear apple juice to 22L [make sure it has no preservatives] from your local supermarket. I used 'P&N'. Also, 2kg bag of sugar. Dump the sugar into your fermenter and fill halfway with the juice. Stir until sugar dissolves. Fill the rest of the way to 23L. Now steep 3 x 70mm long cinnamon sticks in boiling water for at least 10 minutes. Along with these, steep 3 split and scraped vanilla beans for the same amount of time in the same mug/vessel. Add to the fermenter water and all. Throw in champagne yeast and give a stir. OG with 2kg sugar will be roughly 1.080.

Notes: This recipe comes out at 11% AbV after carbonation at 180g/L. It will bottom out at 1.000 FG or very close to it. 1kg sugar may be used to give ~5.5% AbV. Premium brewing sugars are an option, but in my advice I would avoid maltodextrin. Some malt would be ok along with a majority or sugar or dextrose. If sealed in plastic bottles at an SG of 1.020, you will make something similar to champagne!
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 0 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 0 (calc)
  • Bitterness 0 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 0%
  • Colour 0 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 10 days
  • Secondary 10 days
  • Conditioning 2 days

Turned out pretty well, I'd written it off because of the high carbonation but now I wouldn't have it any other way. I think the juice wasn't too bad, 3L bottles for maybe 3 or 4 dollars. So budget $25 for the juice.

Everyone who tried it liked it, just don't have a session on it because you'll inevitably get the runs :D

Give it a shot and carb up in plastic bottles, or legit champers bottles if you want.

Cheers - boingk

Hey!

I've made the exact same thing! Got the recipe form good old Dr. Google. :p

Just made my 2nd batch of it. The first time it came out at about 14-15%. Never got the runs from it, but you get pretty wasted if you keep drinking something that strong anyway... I can't remember the exact readings on it, but I believe it started at 1.100 (and not 1.080), and finished at around 1.000 (have to consult my notes).

In my second batch (currently conditioning), I used more juice (30L), less sugar (1kg) and added some yeast nutrient. It should be about 8% I believe (again, I need to consult my notes).

I also experimented with the juice; in the first one I used a apple/pear mix. In the one I'm currently waiting for I used 15L apple, 10L apple/pear, 2.5L apple/black currant and 2.5L apple/mango/banana.

Will keep you posted on the outcome...

Cheers,

LRB

Hi,

I have two quick questions...

1. What do mean by 'scraped' vanilla beans? Do you mean you cut them in half and the scooped out the insides?

2. Can I bottle it in glass bottles?

Cheers,

Ben

Sorry, one more question...

I have bought three vanilla beans. Each one is about 4 inches long. Do I need all three, or should I cut one into three pieces? Each bean is in its one packet. Its kind of long and stringy.

Ben

Answering ur 3 question
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Depend on how much u like vanilla. I'd chuck all 4 in

if u like champaigne breadyness gently stir the yeast etc every now and then thru fermentation. It's a little trick

Wow! Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I love this website!

The beans are actually dried. I don't think I'm going to be able to scoop them out. Or skin them for that matter. I think I'm going to have to slice them lengthways and then just chuck them in.

Ben

Actually, I just googled how to cook with vanilla beans and it shows how to do it all.

Cheers,

Ben

Hi,

When it comes time to bottle, can I use one carbonation drop in each stubbie bottle like regular beer?

Ben

died beans, you cut split down the middle with a knife, then use the back of the knive to scrape the insides out.

yeah just use carb drops.

Hi,

I mixed it all up, following instructions on Sunday, sealed up the keg and installing the air lock as always. Problem is, as yet I haven't seen any bubble coming up out of the airlock. Is this normal for this recipe? I've wrapped the keg in a towel to see if making the keg a little warmer might wake the yeast up or something?

Thanks,

Ben

I've made one of these recently. It took about 2 weeks to ferment down to 1.010 (18 deg C) at which I added a few camden tablets to stop the fermentation. It took about 2 days to get any decent activity and I used ample yeast starter. So I wouldn't be too worried yet.

Ok benarnot. Read some more. Airlock activity isn't a sign of fermentation. Search for airlock and butters as author. Just leave it and u will be fine.

Yaks WTF add a campen tablet? It kills the yeast. I assume u r kegging as if u bottled and didn't add extra yeast it won't carb up. Unless u wanted to stp it short and keep some sugars in their to increase sweetness. Then good on u. However u could have just chilled it and stopped the yeast. That way u don't add sulfates to ur cider which can cause asthma in some people.

Hi,

Took me a while to get back here to write about my experience with this recipe.

Unfortunately, mine ended up tasting more like rocket fuel. I think it was because the alcohol content was soooo high it ruined the flavour of everything else. I'm guessing I probably did something wrong as the other comments above say its great. All I could taste was alcohol and heaps of cinnamon. I couldn't taste any vanilla. I guess if I were to do it again, I would halve the sugar, halve the cinnamon, and double the vanilla and see how that turns out.

It was really good after having horrible days at work where you just have to get relaxed as quickly as possible!

Ben

Ohhh my first cider did this - and smelled like compost pretty much.
I back sweetened with some cheap apple juice and hoped for the best. Thankfully it worked out!

These may be silly questions but I need some clarification please.

How much sugar in total goes in this recipe? (not including priming sugar)
Then how much priming sugar in total goes in?

Should the capacity come up to 23 Lt afert all other ingredients or do you add 23lt of juice?

If I use Cider yeast what results can I expect, I also have EC-1118. And what temps should this be fermenting at? Because its above 25 deg in my house.

Could I down scale this recipe, to use a 5Lt glass demijohn? and is this a refreshing thirst quencher??

Cheers

Just follow tge recipe
22l juice, 2nd sugar, top up to 23l (if u really want, it doesn't matter).
Sugar just adds fermentables and thus %alc.
More alc? Add mire fermentable without increasing volume.
Less alc? Decrease fermentables or increase volume ie dilute
Scaling? Just scale it. Original recipe is 23l. If u want 5l. Divide everything by 4.6 (ie 23/5)

1.000 is dry as a nuns.

Does any one have the recipe for this? I was planning on making it heading in to winter but looks like the RecipeDB is not back yet.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Back