RecipeDB - BullsHead Summer Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a bottle of 3711 saison saved for you Tony. Will have to try out this long slow painful yeast you always use to compare.

hehe awsome stuff....... these saisons are difficult stuff.

bkmad...... if its a blend, id say tis done. all you need is your temp out one deg and your mash would have been 65 and that would answer that one. usually when the yeast drops out, its a good sign its done but you cant always trust a saison yeast.... its a different beast.

let us know how they go folks

Yep figured it was done so I bottled it. Had a few on the weekend even though it had only been in the bottle for a week and a half. Awesome beer. I did mine with all saaz 50g for 90min and 25g for 20min. It has a great pilsner aroma initially, then the belgian type aroma comes through. Taste is quite belgiany, probably due to blended yeast I used and has a nice balance of malt and hops. Its still a bit cloudy but its early days yet and I didn't fine it, but tastes excellent all the same. I'll get a photo if it lasts long enough. B)

Loving saison yeasts. Next up, a dark mild done with the same yeast. Probably a bit odd, but I reckon it will work.

Yep figured it was done so I bottled it. Had a few on the weekend even though it had only been in the bottle for a week and a half. Awesome beer. I did mine with all saaz 50g for 90min and 25g for 20min. It has a great pilsner aroma initially, then the belgian type aroma comes through. Taste is quite belgiany, probably due to blended yeast I used and has a nice balance of malt and hops. Its still a bit cloudy but its early days yet and I didn't fine it, but tastes excellent all the same. I'll get a photo if it lasts long enough. B)

Loving saison yeasts. Next up, a dark mild done with the same yeast. Probably a bit odd, but I reckon it will work.

G'day - I just did a BIAB of this. All went well into primary using the Wyeast. Temp was reasonably high around 26-28C. She took off and yet 24hrs later she has stopped burping??? Any ideas or is this normal for this type of yeast?
thanks for any help

as it turned out I ended up using the WL565, I read its notorious for stalling, and it has, 1046 down to 1014 atm, I made a 1.5 l starter over the week leading up to the brew and used 2/3 of it to pitch. awesome Krausen!,
I kept the remaining third to add if it did stall, (my thinking is it would be like bringing in scab labour to cross the picket line), I'm prepping it up today, is there any reason I shouldn't add the remainder?

looks like the scab labour did the trick, some activity this morning,
I'm a simple man, one little airlock bubble has made my day,

Bada Bing, have you taken a reading to see ?

looks like the scab labour did the trick, some activity this morning,
I'm a simple man, one little airlock bubble has made my day,

Bada Bing, have you taken a reading to see ?

Yes mate and it is all good - I'm down to 1010. I had some advice from Nev at Gryphon Brewing. He basically said liquid yeasts are a different beast to the dried gear. He also said airlocks are really only for entertainment value - he doesnt use them. I found it unnerving not to see airlock action. I just pitched a Belgain Wit using wyeast and ther airlock hasn't moved. It is fermenting nicely though so learned something new .....
The Saison is tasting very nice though ..... cant wait to get into it.
Cheers

yeah, its a beaut recipe, cheers Tony,

I'm pretty excited about getting so much flavour from a yeast, its spicy as, (us05 had been my stock standard for a while)

i shed a tear when my keg blew :(

bugger,

think I'll get another in while weather is still hot, after bottling this one can i just whack a fresh wort in on top of the yeast cake? what do you reckon?,

Yes Tony you have inspired me to brew a Saison the last one was nice but a bit strong , SWMBO called it loony juice .

I feel that a light drinking Saison is more in keeping the the original style

Pumpy :)

This turned out great. Very nice Tony - Thanks for the recipe - this will be a regular
Cheers
BBB

:) Awsome...... glad you loked it.

Its a bitch to brew in winter though i may have a go at one with the fermenter sitting next to the fireplace..... :blink: never thought id say that!

This can be an all year rounder for me here in Gero WA. I have this side by side with a Belgian Wit and they are both sensational - my wife loves them both (she's a clog)
Got to love the Belgians - they are the New Zealanders of Europe but they know how to make fantastic beer .......

G,day Tony how will this go with 3711 French saison?,my shed hovers around 26dg now,reckon its time to knock one out!!!!!!

Im sure it will be fine mate...... just with a different character from the yeast.

Hook in and let us know!

Just stuck this one in the brewmate, played with the grain to lift the alc a little. I'll definately be doing this one over the summer. Would be a good catchup as i'm only allowed one 60l fermenter in the house and have no temp control i can stick a double batch out in the shed.

I have some other yeasts that are more neutral and still like the hot temps, may even have a play with those after the first batch to see how they go in a beer. Selected for fermenting mollasses.

I'll get some yeast in and acidulated malt and give it a whirl. Thanks Tony.

Man....... talk about pissed off.

Last night i noticed Ross had Wyeast farmhouse ale in stock............. i have been waiting for this to come back for a long time!

I got all excited and started an order........ Ooooooo Saison with farmhouse ale :)

I had to get up and sort out my kids, then got distracted, then cooked dinner, then put kids to bed........... and when i sat down a few hours later and placed the order.......... some low life had putrchased the last of them.

The hide of them :angry:

thank god G&G had some in stock and i have a pack on its way.

Also ordered a french saison to try out.

So this summer i plan to do at least 3 saisons.... one with farmhouse ale, one belgian and one french.

BRING ON THE HEAT!

Man....... talk about pissed off.

Last night i noticed Ross had Wyeast farmhouse ale in stock............. i have been waiting for this to come back for a long time!

I got all excited and started an order........ Ooooooo Saison with farmhouse ale :)

I had to get up and sort out my kids, then got distracted, then cooked dinner, then put kids to bed........... and when i sat down a few hours later and placed the order.......... some low life had putrchased the last of them.

The hide of them :angry:

thank god G&G had some in stock and i have a pack on its way.

Also ordered a french saison to try out.

So this summer i plan to do at least 3 saisons.... one with farmhouse ale, one belgian and one french.

BRING ON THE HEAT!

Oh the humanity! I was getting a pack of farmhouse on the weekend with our bulk buy but switched it for a pack of Belgian wit at the last minute cause I'd promised SWMBO I'd brew a jungle wit next up :(

Get some more in pretty please, Ross...

Hi,

I put down a dark Saison yesterday with Farmhouse Ale. Does it ferment out better than the 3711? I'm hoping to get it fermented down, bottled, and drinkable by Christmas.

Hi,

I put down a dark Saison yesterday with Farmhouse Ale. Does it ferment out better than the 3711? I'm hoping to get it fermented down, bottled, and drinkable by Christmas.

Should be done in 8 days, around 1.005 FG (depending on how high the OG was of course)

Latest posts

Back