RecipeDB - Bullshead Motueka Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score

Bullshead Motueka Saison

Ale - American Amber Ale
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

I was asked about the use of aggressive American hops and melanoiden malt in a saison. I kind of backed up on the idea but thought it would be worth testing the idea..... to a point.
I used Vienna malt as a base and hopped with B Saaz flowers. I also split the batch and fermented half with 3711 french saison and half with 3726 farmhouse ale. When i tasted them, french was bland and FHA was over fruity so i dumped them both in a keg together unfiltered and carbed it.
Well if i didn't create some amazing, i will be damned!
hops are perfectly balanced to a strong but subtle malt backbone, and a yeast complexity that i doubt i will ever reproduce brings tears to the eyes! One of my best ever!
0 min hops are cube hopped. I split 15g into 2 x 17L cubes.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
3 kg Weyermann Vienna
2 kg Weyermann Pilsner
1 kg Weyermann Pale Wheat

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
30 g Saaz B (NZ) (pellet, 8.0AA%, 40mins)
30 g Saaz B (NZ) (pellet, 8.0AA%, 15mins)
30 g Saaz B (NZ) (pellet, 8.0AA%, 0mins)
34L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.042 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.013 (calc)
  • Bitterness 26.2 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 3.75%
  • Colour 8 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Conditioning 2 days

this is the beer...... no chilled with cube hops flowers, dumped from primary ferment into a keg and carbed up.

amazing beer!

malt flavor and aroma,, yeast character kicks in and then you get B Saaz in the nose ........ :icon_drool2:

BSaaz_Saison1152x1728.jpg

Wow. Brewing woody, right here.

Boiling up my first ever saison tonight, if it looks 1/4 as good as that I will be doing cartwheels all up and down the brew shed.

This could be the next one for me. Rain for the next week so not much else to do but brew beer.

Tony, any chance you could post the recipe seeing as the database is down?

guessing it would be his usual grain bill that he uses in saisons

Pilsner, wheat, acidulated. Last time i brewed it i used 90%/10%/2% cant comment on his hop schedule for this particular brew

Another request for the recipe, it just happens that I'm interested in a Saison and Motueka is my latest hop fixation.

doon said:
guessing it would be his usual grain bill that he uses in saisons

Pilsner, wheat, acidulated. Last time i brewed it i used 90%/10%/2% cant comment on his hop schedule for this particular brew
Omg I have so much to learn about brewing, I still haven't managed to get 102% in a grain bill :ph34r:

jI would just send Tony a PM and tell him about the thread, he's still posts at least a few times a week.

Hey folks.

I will try and remember to dig this out of promash tonight when im home. I dont have it on my work computer.

If i forget, PM me! Its my wifes birthday today but i should get to it for you all.

It was a sen-saison-al beer :p

I think i may have changed the recipe for this one and used vienna as the base, and i know i used hops in the cube.

Woohoo, cheers Tony.

Having never had a saison before or knowing anything about them, the picture above made me instantly wanna make one :beerbang:

Now just need to wriggle my way out of any saturday commitments, lunches, shopping etc with the Mrs so i can do me some brewin !!!

just remember.......... the recipe does not always make the beer great.

It just helps :)

Tony said:
just remember.......... the recipe does not always make the beer great.

It just helps :)
Post up the mash schedule too please. Dont like saying this to guys..... Nice head.

Also Tony did you keg the saison and if so, what co2 levels as the pic looks pretty carbed. I've had a good look in the forums but can't find any information or 'range' of co2 for saisons other than standard belgian ales?

cheers!

Here it is folks.

flame out hops were put in the cubez. I split them in half and filled 2 x 17L cubes

I kegged it and usually gas my Saison a bit higher than normal. Somewhere between a regular lager and a weizen. About 3 volumes i guess.......... you want it nice and spritzy to hold up the dry acidity and make it super thirst quenching.

Vienna Saison

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

16-C Belgian & French Ale, Saison

Min OG: 1.048 Max OG: 1.080
Min IBU: 25 Max IBU: 45
Min Clr: 10 Max Clr: 24 Color in EBC

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 34.00 Wort Size (L): 34.00
Total Grain (kg): 6.00
Anticipated OG: 1.042 Plato: 10.47
Anticipated EBC: 7.7
Anticipated IBU: 26.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
50.0 3.00 kg. Weyermann Vienna Germany 1.038 7
33.3 2.00 kg. Weyermann Pilsner Germany 1.038 4
16.7 1.00 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.038 4

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
30.00 g. B-Saaz Whole 8.10 17.0 40 min.
30.00 g. B-Saaz Whole 8.10 9.6 15 min.
30.00 g. B-Saaz Whole 8.10 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

Your favorite Saison yeast. I like FHA if you have it, but 3724 is awesome!

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Name:

Total Grain kg: 6.00

Step Rest Start Stop Heat Infuse Infuse Infuse
Step Name Time Time Temp Temp Type Temp Amount Ratio
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
protein 2 10 52 51 Infuse 58 12.00 2.00
low mash 2 45 64 63 Infuse 99 5.53 2.92
hi mash 5 15 71 71 Infuse 99 5.50 3.84

Thanks heaps for posting that Tony. Hoping i can sub the Vienna with JW light Munich as I can't get the Vienna at my LHBS :(

Use 2kg of the JW munich and 3KG of pilsner

Latest posts

Back