RecipeDB - Bullshead Motueka Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good and simple Tony, like it.

haha thanks mate.

I learnt long ago that keeping it simple often makes it better.

complexity without over-complication.

The spicy peppery BSaaz worked so well with the fruity yeast as well.

Gawd i could go one right now........ opps, no...... its bed time :p

Made this one last night. Pitched at 20 and it's up to about 22 now, even though its still 20 outside. Used the Belle Saison yeast so hoping it works well with the grain and motueka as i've not used the saison yeast before. Hell i didnt even know what a saison was until a week ago haha :ph34r:. A sign that when i was measuring hop additions, i used up literally all of the motueka, not more not less, that tells me it was destined for this beer :)

Think it's worthwhile bringing out the heating pad to crank it up to high 20s or should i just let it do it's thing and the temperature to rise on its own?

cheers,
Josh

I'm doing this one on Monday Josh and I'm struggling over the fermentation temp as well. I'd love to keep at at about 25 to 26 but my sorta cellar holds it at about 22 - 23. If you come up with an answer I'd appreciate the advice.

Rowy i'm gonna wait until about 6 or 7pm tonight and see how much the temp rises as one of the other posts i read about the Belle Saison said to try and keep it around 19 or 20 for the first day and then let it rise on it's own accord but given the shitty unpredictable weather of late, i'm gonna use the STC1000 and hook it up to a heater pad to give it a boost. It's been getting colder and colder at night lately so i think the heater pad is the only reliable option for me.

You could try an electric blanket on the thermostat aswell, or depending on where things are in your house you could put it next to something warm. My keg freezer is in the laundry in a corner against the wall and whenever the freezer kicks in (about once an hour) it gives off a fair bit of warmth on 360 degrees. Since the laundry is pretty small, i could close the window and door and put the fermenter next to it (or anywhere in the laundry i suppose) and it would have a pretty stable temperature, my guess would be probably a reasonable 26 or so that you're after.

Not sure if that's any help or not mate but might give you some ideas,

good luck with it :beer:

MOst of the saison yeasts will work fine in the low 20's. If its working then let it go as is.

If you were using Belgian Saison 3724, you would need high 20's to low 30's to keep it running. That yeast hates the cold.

I have made them in the winter and sat them in the bar area near the fire place.

Cheers

Cannot wait to try this!!! Very fruity, I wouldn't say citrusy but a definite sugary sweet kind of fruit smell, i'm yet to put my finger on it. Definitely has some spice/peppery smell to it aswell from my multiple sniff-stops of the airlock as i walk towards the kitchen haha. The belle saison is definitely a quick starter indeed. Hoping it comes out decent so i can make another. Cheers Tony

Awsome work!

keep us informed on how it goes!

Cheers

Back