RecipeDB - 10 Min IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a double batch of 10 minute IPA on Sunday, inspired by this recipe.

Variations were that I used Golden Promise instead of Pilsner and Caramunich I instead of Carapils

All up 350g of hops including Amarillo, Simcoe, Centennial, Mosaic, Columbus and Falconers Flight. Pretty much did this to use up some of my leftover hops.

First impressions... very fruity... leaning towards tropical fruit. At this stage I am only worried that bitterness is not as high as it should be for an IPA, as there isn't the same bite that you would normally get in IPA wort.

Anyway, I guess we will see how we go. Crossing my fingers, as there were a lot of hops that went into this baby!

I've tried a couple of these and found the bitterness lacking.

I think it comes down to how your software calculates the bitterness.

I've got this in the cube at the moment ready to go.

1.070 OG. I've got two packs of 11.5g US-05 on hand.

Any opinions on whether I should pitch one pack or two based on paste experiences with US-05? I'll be rehydrating.

Engibeer said:
I've got this in the cube at the moment ready to go.

Any opinions on whether I should pitch one pack or two based on paste experiences with US-05? I'll be rehydrating.

Easily 2 mate.

Tomorrow I'm brewing a 10 minute IPA using the grain bill from DIY DOG, BrewDog's IPA is Dead Series.

48.88L

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10.16 kg Extra Pale (7.9 EBC) Grain 1 85.9 %
0.76 kg Caramalt (174.1 EBC) Grain 2 6.4 %
0.76 kg Munich (59.5 EBC) Grain 3 6.4 %
0.15 kg Dark Crystal (1004.9 EBC) Grain 4

I'm going to put all the hops in the cube, with the IBU based on a 20 minute addition.

Split batch, 1x waimea, 1x amarillo. Single hop.

Planning one of these soon. Doing a double batch using citra and chinook (was originally planning an all simcoe version, but it was sold out). Plugging the figures into beer smith it's saying that due to the high AA i only need 240g of citra and chinook to get the 60 IBUs. Should I then dry hop it to get an equivalent of 8g/L total to make up for the smallish 10 min addition?

Two for sure, I did an IPA recently and I pitched two rehydrated packets of US-05 and gravity only went from 1.067 to 1.023 :(

hi guys, so how's the bitterness with these beers. Good or lacking? Great thread.

hi guys, so how's the bitterness with these beers. Good or lacking? Great thread.
it depends how many IBU's worth of hops you add.

I am doing most IPA's now with most of my hop addition at at 20minute whirlpool stage. Just means you need more hops to get the same bitterness... but adding more at whirlpool gives you more flavour

Latest posts

Back