RecipeDB - 10 Min IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure the recipe was just basic IPA grains (base and some crystal) and enough hops at 10 minutes to equal 60 IBU. Mix and match as you wish. If anybody has the actual recipe I'd like to see it though.

95/5 base/carapils @ 67
Amarillo @ 10 min to 60 ibu
Pacman/1056/1272

Thanks Gents. So American 2 row would work well as my base malt?

If it's an American IPA you can't go far wrong with yank 2-row. Pretty sure 99% of American IPA's are made with it.

Im thinking of giving this a crack, more so to use up hops I already have. All these hops have been used in this 10 min IPA from what Ive learned reading this thread, but just wondering if their combination together might cause any problems? Are they all okay to use in the same beer or have i over done it a bit?

10 min IPA

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 25.0
Total Grain (kg): 6.950
Total Hops (g): 285.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.060 (°P): 14.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.016 (°P): 4.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.82 %
Colour (SRM): 4.0 (EBC): 7.9
Bitterness (IBU): 60.9 (Rager)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
6.600 kg American 2-Row (94.96%)
0.350 kg Weyermann Carapils (Dextrine) (5.04%)

Hop Bill
----------------
100.0 g Amarillo Pellet (10.1% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (4 g/L)
25.0 g Amarillo Pellet (8.2% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
30.0 g Centennial Pellet (5.5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (1.2 g/L)
40.0 g Citra Pellet (13.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (1.6 g/L)
90.0 g Hallertau Mittlefrueh Pellet (4.6% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (3.6 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 90 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Wyeast 1272 - All-American Ale

Are you sure about that calculated bitterness? rager doesn't work well with late additions IMO.

Plugging into BS2 I get 60.9 rager, but 84 tinseth. I'd be inclined to ditch the hallertau personally, which is kind of out of place, but it also brings the IBUs down to a more reasonable range.

Not sure if you're a chiller or not, if you're nochilling you might have to factor that in as well.

Thanks Felten. I wasnt sue about the Hallertau but had a heap in the hop freezer so added it. That IBU is correct according to Brewmate but I must admit I used to use the average of rager and Tinseth setting, and switched it to rager sometime back to see what diference it made. I will switch it back to average and see how I go and remove the Hallertau.

So should I maybe just buy another 100 grams of Amarillo to replace it?

I wouldn't personally as it would come out too bitter on my system, 7.8g/L of hops seems adequate for a late addition. But YMMV of course.

Cheers mate, even better... save me having to buy more hops.

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, I used about 30g of hal. mit. in a similar cupboard cleaner brew (but mine was all cube hopped and had could more varieties of hops - the others were all new world type hops though including those you're using except the centennial) and the hop character was very nice. My grainbill was also much more complex (being a cupboard cleaner) so perhaps that was better able to support it?

But honestly, I feel like you really need to do something particularly stupid to stuff up a big 10min beer like this - everything just seems to work so long as you like the ingredients in the first place.

Ive never tried hallertau before or tasted a beer that uses it so not sure what sort of flavour its going to contribute, or if I would like it. The last 10 min IPA I did was fantastic. But I cant find the recipe so not sure what hops I used.

Truman said:
Brewed this on Thursday night.

Only had 150 grams of Amarillo so also added some Centennial and Cascade to get my IBU's up to 65.

First time I used my recirculating mash system and my plate chiller, so Im looking forward to see how this turns out.

My wort was certainly a lot clearer than when I do standard BIAB.
Ahh yes I can...Amarillo with Centennial and cascade. Well I dont have any cascade But I do remember it wasnt much of the centennial and cascade, probably under 200 grams total. (Although that was an 18 litre batch and I now brew 25 litres)

I suppose the citra will be a good sub for the cascade. MPB use Amarillo and Citra in their Pale Ale and its a great tasting beer.

Will see how it looks with the IBU set to average instead of rager.

Just cracked my mostly Nelson Sauvin 10 min IPA. Why did I think that was a good idea? Ick

pat_00 said:
Just cracked my mostly Nelson Sauvin 10 min IPA. Why did I think that was a good idea? Ick
what didnt you like about it?

I have found the ~12% aa hops seem to not work as well as the ~8% varieties.

Hi guys,

I don't have a chiller, so I was thinking about hops at flameout in hop spider/BIAB bag, then into cubes after ten minutes, leave cubes for another ten minutes, then dump the cubes into an ice bath. Sound okay?

Nicko,

That would work but you wouldn't get the full utilisation from the hops if you chilled it quickly.
You will have to find the correct times rather than just ten minutes to account for the bitterness you will need to gain or just let it cool naturally and follow this method.

Latest posts

Back