Recipe suggestion/comments.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenos

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been working on my technique and control and brewing a pico-brew (5L) of Dr Smurto's Golden Ale with the following recipe:
0.60 kg Pale Ale Malt
0.25 kg Caramalt
0.25 kg Wheat Malt

BIAB mash at 66°C for 75 mins and then boil, 60 min, with Amarillo 8.2% AA:
5.5g @ 60 min
3.8 g @10 min
3.8 g @5 min
3.5 g dry hop

Ferment at 18°C with US-05.

Brew mate says this should be OG 1.048, FG 1.012 and 33.6 IBU, whilst I am not unhappy with the results it is lacking hops hops and a bit too sweet. I also wanted to try some Enigma I picked up at the last Hobat Brewers club meeting.

So I am thinking of modifying the recipe to;
0.75 kg Pale Ale Malt
0.25 kg Caramalt
0.25 kg Wheat Malt

BIAB mash at 66°C for 75 mins and then boil, 60 min, with Enigma 15.2% AA:
4 g @ 60 min
4 g @10 min
4 g dry hop

Brew mate says this should be OG 1.055, FG 1.014 and 42.1 IBU

A penny for your thoughts?

Really, this is in the brewmate recipe. And here, http://aussiehomebrewer.com/recipe/502-drsmurtos-golden-ale/

DSGA Recipe.png

Read the original recipe.
It has 4 kg malt to 250g caramunich.
Yours is too sweet because the ratios are all wrong. Crystal / caramel type malts leave a lot of sweetness after fermentation. I once used 500g in a 23 litre pale and that was too sweet for me.
I am surprised you can drink yours.

Original recipe has 250 cara + 5ish kg base. Your proportions are way out. Think of it like reducing a muffin dough recipe to 10% original size but leaving the same amount of sugar.

KIT VERSION
1 can Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale
1 can Coopers Wheat Malt
250g Caramalt (or other light crystal)
15g Amarillo @ 15, 5 and dry hop.
Yeast - US05

indica86 said:
Read the original recipe.
It has 4 kg malt to 250g caramunich.
Yours is too sweet because the ratios are all wrong. Crystal / caramel type malts leave a lot of sweetness after fermentation. I once used 500g in a 23 litre pale and that was too sweet for me.
I am surprised you can drink yours.
manticle said:
Original recipe has 250 cara + 5ish kg base. Your proportions are way out. Think of it like reducing a muffin dough recipe to 10% original size but leaving the same amount of sugar.
I did read the original recipe and have kept the percentage of each malt aproximately the same. Mine has no caramunich.

I have 250 g (22%) of caramalt with 650 g (55%) of pale malt, which are in close proportion to the original recipe (19% and 56% respectively), I bumped the caramalt up a bit as there is no caramunich.

The new recipe I have proposed is;
Pale Malt 60%
Caramalt 20%
Wheat Malt 20%

You may want to check your percentage calculation. Your caramalt (similar enough to caramunich) is way out of proportion and the likely culprit of your overly sweet brew.

Dr smurto -~5000g:250g. Yours -around 825g: 250g.

Doesn't equate. 250g in 20+ Litres, not 5.

2.4kg Pilsner = Base malt
0.8 kg Munich = Base malt
0.8 kg wheat = Base Malt
0.25 Caramunich = Specialty malt

4kg base malt to 0.25kg spec

You used
0.60 kg Pale Ale Malt = base malt
0.25 kg Caramalt = specialty malt / caramel / crystal etc
0.25 kg Wheat Malt = base malt

0.825kg Base to 0.25kg spec

The caramel / crystal type malt amount has not reduced at all, but the base malt has.

Really confusing. There are brewmate posts everywhere.
Just type the malts and amounts you actually used.

I'm confused. Going to take the dog for a walk and have a beer, that should help.

post one is what I used and I now realise why it is sweet, its not terrible sweet but you wouldn;t want to drink too many in a row, kind of like Ol Speckled Hen.

If post 1 is what you used then over use of cara is the culprit as originally suggested. I think you made an error in calculation or data entry somewhere.

Latest posts

Back