Recipe Help - 3rd BIAB - Citra, Chinook & Galaxy PA.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pickaxe

Reaction score
Hey All,

Onto my third AG - need some advice with next recipe. Trying to do something more "complex" and am lost in figures and percentages etc. Does the following look OK? Is there any screaming errors?

I'm getting only 60% efficiency, but am hoping to up that next brew - aiming for 65, but expecting 60 due to massive trub loss - 3L per pot! Need to improve my sparging though, could reclaim some points there. Dont care really too much, just plodding along. Beer is getting heaps better so I'm not caught up in efficiencies yet.

Esky mash - strike grain with 27L
10L sparge
2 x 19L pot boil.
23L batch size.

Original Gravity (OG): 1.045 (°P): 11.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol (ABV): 4.42 %
Colour (SRM): 7.1 (EBC): 14.0
Bitterness (IBU): 42.0 (Average)

78.43% Pale Ale Malt
9.8% Wheat Malt
4.9% Carared
4.9% Munich I
1.96% Crystal 60 - Im assuming Cystal light from CB is 60?

10g Chinook (11.4% Alpha) @ 40 Minutes (Boil) - 11.97 IBU

10g Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) - 5.21 IBU
10g Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) - 6.27 IBU

15g Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) - 5.94 IBU
15g Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) - 7.17IBU

10g Chinook (11.4% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) - 2.78 IBU
10g Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) - 2.7 IBU

10g Chinook (11.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
10g Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

15g Chinook (11.4% Alpha) @ 3 Days (Dry Hop)
15g Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 3 Days (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with Safale S-04

Appreciate any feedback.

a.

Recipe looks good, but I cant imagine what a PITA splitting your runnings into two small separate kettles must be. :blink:

Mate, its the best I can do here in my flat with my stove, which is the cheapest POS (piece of Shit!) the owner of the flat could buy. Seen em at bunnings - the CHEAPEST!

I see it as good training though, learn to squeeze my efficiency points from this setup, and when I get more space and a better setup, I'll be well trained not to be bashful with my brewing.

I'm really thinking about ghetto lautering though, 2 bucket style, i'm not lautering at all and the trub is killing me! 6L loss to trub! guess thats BIAB innit!?

Pickaxe said:
Mate, its the best I can do here in my flat with my stove, which is the cheapest POS (piece of Shit!) the owner of the flat could buy. Seen em at bunnings - the CHEAPEST!

I see it as good training though, learn to squeeze my efficiency points from this setup, and when I get more space and a better setup, I'll be well trained not to be bashful with my brewing.

I'm really thinking about ghetto lautering though, 2 bucket style, i'm not lautering at all and the trub is killing me! 6L loss to trub! guess thats BIAB innit!?
Have a look at the 2 pot thread - I've put a (dodgy) video of how to make a lauter.

In the middle of a brew day, and videoing, so that will be up in some time.

I have posted a thread about this, but what will the result bbw like if I sub simcoe for Chinook. My other thread sends to be leading down a different path..

IMHO Simcoe will taste great with the other hops you're using in your recipe. Got for it.
Dry hoping with equal amounts of galaxy and citra has worked well for me. 15g's of each in the keg for 48hrs goes good.

Cheers

2 weeks in fermenter, 1 week in bottle, tasting pretty good so far. Pretty green of course, but good colour, Will be well balanced with conditioning.

Had a question though: due to life etc, my dry hop turned into 7 days not 3. What can I expect from a longer dry hop?

Latest posts

Back