Recipe Check (IIPA)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There will be dry hop additions.

No not yet. Waiting on some Centennial to sub in. Will post the updated recipe. Also thinking of changing it all to 10min additions.

Done this morning. Pitched after it cooled in the keggle. Massively undershot targets though. Got a lot to do with the high dilution rate (aimed for 21L, got 27l!) for which I have no answer. Must have fucked up somewhere - added too much strike water methinks.

Here's what I went with anyways:

3.5kg GP
2kg LME
1kg Dex
500gm Caramalt
500gm Torrified

40gms each of Cascade, Citra, Cluster and Galaxy @ 10.

Ended up hitting 58% eff (lowest ever) with 27L going into the fermenter. Came out as 1067, 7.05% and 87.7 IBU.

Thinking of adding some more LME and Dex to it (another 1kg of LME and 500gm of Dex) just to bump it to around 9% perhaps, but I'm not entirely certain.

You started the thread with the idea of a IIPA and after contributing what would help you achieve that, you went with a single 10m addition :huh: and made a 10min IPA.

To be honest, after seeing you had only done a 10m addition, you should have stuck with the OP hop additions.

Anyway, dont add anything else, it will be fine @ 7%

What is the dry hopping plan?

I have a habit of changing my mind ;)

Will probably dry hop with 30gm each of Cascade and possibly Amarillo.

I'd be going more like 80-100g of each for an IPA.

I dryhop around 1-2g/L for a mildly hoppy beer. If I'm going a pale ale its around 3-5, and IPAs usually 5+

I've dry hopped a pale ale with 5g/L and it was great, I'd probably go with a whole 100g of both hops and if you have any other complimentary hops, throw in another 50g or so of those!

Dunkelbrau said:
I'd be going more like 80-100g of each for an IPA.

I dryhop around 1-2g/L for a mildly hoppy beer. If I'm going a pale ale its around 3-5, and IPAs usually 5+

I've dry hopped a pale ale with 5g/L and it was great, I'd probably go with a whole 100g of both hops and if you have any other complimentary hops, throw in another 50g or so of those!
I dry hop along those lines too.... :icon_drool2:

Dry hopped today with 100gm Citra and 39gm Amarillo. Was all I had that was non vac packed.

I got a vac sealer for XMas, and went a little nuts. The Citra I sealed up didn't seal properly, and I couldn't be arsed holding onto just 30gms of Amarillo. Now that I think of it, I have a DSGA I could have keg hopped it with, but meh.

slcmorro said:
Done this morning. Pitched after it cooled in the keggle. Massively undershot targets though. Got a lot to do with the high dilution rate (aimed for 21L, got 27l!) for which I have no answer. Must have fucked up somewhere - added too much strike water methinks.

Here's what I went with anyways:

3.5kg GP
2kg LME
1kg Dex
500gm Caramalt
500gm Torrified

40gms each of Cascade, Citra, Cluster and Galaxy @ 10.

Ended up hitting 58% eff (lowest ever) with 27L going into the fermenter. Came out as 1067, 7.05% and 87.7 IBU.

Thinking of adding some more LME and Dex to it (another 1kg of LME and 500gm of Dex) just to bump it to around 9% perhaps, but I'm not entirely certain.
I reckon thatd be nice how you've done it.

The slightly higher ibu to gravity ratio should balance the caramalt included in your grain bill. If anything to go by next time. I have re brewed my state ipa per judges suggestions to substitute some of the malt for dex and it has really increased drinkability on a 7% beer.

Be sure to post some photos :)

So I'm drinking it now, and it holds a big thick slightly off coloured head. I'm not convinced this was the best I could have put out, but it might get better with age.

Whilst not terrible, it is overly bitter and not very well balanced. Carries the hops through well, but doesn't really hit the spot. Not a terrible beer, certainly better than a lot of commercial beers out there but I'm not 100% happy with it.

Did you know it was over volume at the start of the boil? Could you have done a longer boil to concentrate back down to your target volume?

With no sight glass on the keggle, I knew I was a bit over by not by as much as what I got in the end. Could have, but I wasn't overly concerned with it being a bit weaker. The current bitterness would probably have made the beer unbearable if it was concentrated down to 21L as intended.

I usually measure with a ruler the depth in kettle at start of boil and then adjust my boil time accordingly(using a calc for liquid height and volume). Might have been that you do a 30 min boil and then start your usual 60 mins starting with bittering(total 90 min boil). This way you stull get the expected bittering and have a more concentrated work giving a higher OG to balance out the extra bitterness you are perceiving with the low gravity you achieved from dilution.

I find some fresh dry hopped character a bit much in large doses. Give it a week - the flavour integrates.

slcmorro said:
With no sight glass on the keggle, I knew I was a bit over by not by as much as what I got in the end. Could have, but I wasn't overly concerned with it being a bit weaker. The current bitterness would probably have made the beer unbearable if it was concentrated down to 21L as intended.
For my old keggle, I made a dowel measuring stick, cheap, simple and reliable.. You don't want a sight glass on your keggle

Latest posts

Back