Reasons I'm broke..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr Wibble said:
My heater pad sits on the compressor hump (in a chest freezer).

It seems to do the job ok, but my temperature probe is inside the fermenter.

I think I read here, or someone told me, that having a heater pad under the beer can "cook" it (not literally), it's gets way too warm.

Obviously a belt is not a pad, so maybe test it with a fermenter full of water or suchlike.
Heater pads will not " cook" the brew.Otherwise a heater belt would, but from the middle.Neither put out anywhere near enough power to do so,if you have either that does get rid of it now.!
Heater pads and belts don't put out that much heat,they heat at a low output and therefore take a long time to heat the contents of the fermentor ( liquid mass) .
If the fermentor is insulated this will help in both heat loss and cold gain,heat pads and belts work in the simple principle of heat rises,when they are trying to do this they have to first heat the entire fermentor contents ( mass) the yeast activity adds some minimal temp increase,as the wort slowly warms up convection causes the wort to mix into itself , again heat rises and cold sinks so the heater pad/ belt simply speed up/ help the fermentation process .

I wanna add beekeeping to my million hobbies I already can't handle. Is it easy and cheap enough to get into???

shaunous said:
I wanna add beekeeping to my million hobbies I already can't handle. Is it easy and cheap enough to get into???
Jeez,bee careful mate you may get stung.:).

spog said:
Heater pads will not " cook" the brew.Otherwise a heater belt would, but from the middle.Neither put out anywhere near enough power to do so,if you have either that does get rid of it now.!
Heater pads and belts don't put out that much heat,they heat at a low output and therefore take a long time to heat the contents of the fermentor ( liquid mass) .
If the fermentor is insulated this will help in both heat loss and cold gain,heat pads and belts work in the simple principle of heat rises,when they are trying to do this they have to first heat the entire fermentor contents ( mass) the yeast activity adds some minimal temp increase,as the wort slowly warms up convection causes the wort to mix into itself , again heat rises and cold sinks so the heater pad/ belt simply speed up/ help the fermentation process .
So spog, if I have 2 fermenters in my fridge and only 1 heat belt, is there a good solution? Will hanging the heat belt provide any benefit?

spog said:
Jeez,bee careful mate you may get stung.:).
Hahahaha, my pain threshold is right up to shit after the accident. Things that are meant to really hurt are just a dull pain, get funny looks from the Indian doctor every visit when i show him something new, I think it hurts him more then me by his facial reactions :)

shaunous said:
Few costs initially, but the time is the thing especially in spring time and don't expect any sympathy when you come home with stings quote from wife" doing a dumb hobby "

Wilkensone said:
So spog, if I have 2 fermenters in my fridge and only 1 heat belt, is there a good solution? Will hanging the heat belt provide any benefit?
I use a heat belt type thing that's made to go under reptile tanks.
I hang it from the top shelf of the fermenting fridge....its about 3m all up.
Puts out a very gentle heat that warms the inside of the fridge slowly. Never had any issues with it and as it only heats gently you don't get a temp spike that runs your fermenter too high.
I used to use it wrapped around the fermenter before I got the fridge and temp control....worked well.

Wilkensone said:
?.
If you have 2 fermentors in your fridge and only 1 heat belt the good solution is simple....brew lagers,it's winter time you won't need the heat belt! ( saves on power costs).
Of course I am hoping the fridge is not switched on while you are using the heat belt,kind of defeats the purpose.
And why " hang" the heat belt,what did it do wrong to warrant such punishment!

Buy another fridge, temp controller and heating device. Isn't the point of this thread about being broke?

Beekeeping is one of the most wonderful things I've done in my life. Highly recommended. I miss it. Can't wait to get out if suburbia and get back into it.

StalkingWilbur said:
Buy another fridge, temp controller and heating device. Isn't the point of this thread about being broke?
I'm confused why I need a new fridge?

Mardoo said:
Beekeeping is one of the most wonderful things I've done in my life. Highly recommended. I miss it. Can't wait to get out if suburbia and get back into it.
Can't do it IN suburbia?

My housemate has been toying with the idea. I can see the attraction to beekeeping, but am not a huge fan of honey, so can't really justify doing it.

Wilkensone said:
I assume that the heat belt in the air-space would do the same as my temp-controlled fermentation chamber (fridge) where I use a fibreglass heat pad, just sitting/leaning against the side of the fridge on the bottom shelf.

Seems to warm the wort well enough, in conjunction with a temp contoller (which I got 2 for the price of one).

The other reason I'm broke (tomorrow) is that's when I pick up a kegerator and kegs, gas bottle and reg, drip tray and bronco tap (oops, just looked and it's actually a pluto) and door tap too for $255 (eBay). It really is evilBay.

And then YOB has coordinated the SS olive drum FV bulk buy... it never ends ( *I hope).

Back