Real Ad From Good Housekeeping Magazine, 1955

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newguy

To err is human, to arrr is pirate
Reaction score
image001.jpg

:blink:

Ladies just don't take housekeeping serious anymore.

I gave this to my wife a while back, she handed me a mop in return........

That reminds me, I gotta mop tomorrow night before doing my ironing.

That reminds me, I gotta mop tomorrow night before doing my ironing.

:) How times change.

When I was in grad school a friend who was also in grad school would wake up every day before his wife, cook her breakfast and iron her clothes. I asked her why she let him keep his maiden name when they married. ;)

I think much of what is in that article was infact part of high school home economics text books and required reading and I think many schools still had the same text books decades later.

From Snopes:
The question here is whether the piece quoted above really came from a home economics textbook. Is it real, or is it yet another of those "look how far we've come" fabrications? We know the graphic reproduced above (supposedly from the 13 May 1955 edition of a magazine called Housekeeping Monthly) is a fabrication: It didn't first appear until well after the "How to Be a Good Wife" list had begun circulating via e-mail, and it's clearly a mock-up produced by adding the text of the e-mail around an image taken from a 1957 cover of John Bull magazine. (The image itself even bears an "Advertising Archives" legend along its side, indicating its source.) As for the text itself, nobody has turned up the infamous textbook that supposedly included these ten steps. The list is often attributed to Helen B. Andelin's book Fascinating Womanhood, first published in 1963 to provide instruction in "The Art of Winning a Man's Complete Love," but no such list appears in that work.

http://www.snopes.com/language/document/goodwife.asp

I first saw this list 15 years ago when working in Perth.
I doubted it's authenticity then, and I still do.
Not that I'm the sort of guy to dominate and control my wife like that. If I had, she'd have walked years ago, rather than us being together for 34 years.

When cleaning up my grandmothers house after she passed away, we found a 5-6 volume encyclopedia-type series of books with the exact advice in the OP, so these things did exist, just maybe not in the form presented!

Before we found those books, we were always sceptical of these things.

Back