Re-pitching Yeast Cake With Hops?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMan

Reaction score
Today i put an ESB Bavarian Wheat kit on to ferment using WLP300 yeast, and not having used an ESB kit before, i was suprised to see the hops in it.

Initially i had been planning to pour a Weizenbock, that i've got cubed, straight on top of the yeast cake after kegging/bottling. What i'm wondering now is whether the hops remaining with the yeast cake will have any adverse effects on the next fermentation??

Today i put an ESB Bavarian Wheat kit on to ferment using WLP300 yeast, and not having used an ESB kit before, i was suprised to see the hops in it.

Initially i had been planning to pour a Weizenbock, that i've got cubed, straight on top of the yeast cake after kegging/bottling. What i'm wondering now is whether the hops remaining with the yeast cake will have any adverse effects on the next fermentation??

Not in my experience. But pitching onto the whole yeast cake may have your fermenter erupting like Mt Vesuvius in a day or two... This I have experienced.

Not in my experience. But pitching onto the whole yeast cake may have your fermenter erupting like Mt Vesuvius in a day or two... This I have experienced.

lol as have I. Serious overpitching this is. I even did a mild recently (OG 1.038), had a bit of slurry/trub at the bottom, I took half a schooner (300ml) of the brown crap at the bottom to chuck it into 25L of IPA at 1.063, what I thought would be underpitching if anything, and the damn thing has covered my brew room in yeast several times over. Fitted a blow off tube and then my blow off bucket was filled with yeast! :angry:

Hops left in your yeast cake will add bitterness and / or astringency to subsequent repitched fermentations. But from a wheat kit you're likely to have only a small impact on your next beer. I would not be worried at all.

Thanks for the quick replys.

Good to know the hops won't cause problems, but i will take your advise and use another fermenter with just a scoop (volume to be determined) of the yeast cake added. I will have the blowoff tube fitted as i'm sure something will attempt an escape, especially with beersmith putting the original gravity at 1.088 (now i'm thinking i pushed it a bit high), though considering i was my first BIAB i'm not sure how my efficiency was.

Latest posts

Back