Experiment of sorts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangover68

Reaction score
A few months back i brewed a Porter and used the spent grist for a parti-gyle, this gave me 20ltrs of black wort with an SG of 1.018.
I had planned to give this to a mate to tart up a kit but he took too long and it was taking up valuable fridge space so i used it in a brew, i upped the ABV using a Coopers BE2 pack plus 1kg of sugar which gave me 24ltrs of wort with an SG of 1.050.
Wort was originally bittered so during fermentation i dry hopped 20g of Riwaka on day 3 then 30G of Cascade at day 7, i pitched a yeast cake from an IPA i brewer before the porter.
I used half the yeast but it seemed slow to start so i pitched the rest and it took off like a rocket and erupted all over the top of the cube, after about 8 days it got down to 1.002 giving an ABV of 6.3%
I then cold crashed for 5-6 days (lost count) and when i went to bottle it i noticed it had already started to carbonate in the cube at 4c, bottle 24 that i gave to a mate plus 16ltrs into a corny.
Only bottle 3 days ago but it was about half carbonated and taste was good like a black IPA or hopped Ported, hoppy and nice and dark without being bitter.

Latest posts

Back