Rapid Cooling For Lagers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can run your plate/cfwc Jamil style where you recirc through the chiller and back into the boiler for a bit of a whirlpool.

When you get as low as tap/tank/pool water will take you you then use a pond pump to pump some iced water though the othrside of the chiller. Handy to have a thermo in the boiler for this. If you have an immersion chiller you are laughing with this.

see post above :)

All that over-engineering - when one could get a plastic cube and no-chill.

The Jammil post was interesting based on his lack of back-up to his own points;

* Improved hop aroma.
* Improved hop flavor.
* Reduced DMS.
* Reduced cold break in the fermenter.
* Ability to control the final temperature more precisely.

Points 1 and 2 without any scientific work done...
Points 3 not-applicable to Australia - MSS not applicable to Aussie Malts
Point 4 - and the issue is ...
Point 5 - a plastic 17 cube wastes less water and time...

I cant see in any of his work but over complication and more to worry about by overly anal folks which reaps no benefits.

Scotty

All that over-engineering - when one could get a plastic cube and no-chill.

The Jammil post was interesting based on his lack of back-up to his own points;

* Improved hop aroma.
* Improved hop flavor.
* Reduced DMS.
* Reduced cold break in the fermenter.
* Ability to control the final temperature more precisely.

Points 1 and 2 without any scientific work done...
Points 3 not-applicable to Australia - MSS not applicable to Aussie Malts
Point 4 - and the issue is ...
Point 5 - a plastic 17 cube wastes less water and time...

I cant see in any of his work but over complication and more to worry about by overly anal folks which reaps no benefits.

Scotty

I'm with you mate all seems like alot of work for nothing, but i also understand what people get out of building these unbelievable setups. Something about working it all out and putting everything together that appeals.

I'm a no chiller however if money and space were no object I would love to build a fully automated pc controlled brewery just because I think I could. I have already written the code (alot of spare time at work hahah)

Ben

Ben

View attachment 21951

I made a box that holds 4 litres of crushed ice and about the same vol. of water. It has a coil of 6metres X 1/2" copper and I couple it to the end of my chiller. At this time of the year the wort comes out of the CFC at 24C and out of the ice chiller at anywhere between 10C and 20C depending on how dedicated I am at stirring the ice slurry.

A little more information for anybody making this.
Four litres of ice comfortably cool 25 litres of wort from 32C (ex the CFC running flat out), to 15C into the fermenter which is an OK pitching temp. If you are making bigger batches, you will have to reduce your flow rate from the CFC and/or increase the quantity of ice. The 10 litre box I made would be manageable with 6Kg of ice and I can get my CFC output temp. down to around 22C depending on the cooling water temp., so I could probably get a 45L batch thru if only I had a bigger fermenting fridge.

I usually use California lager yeast, which is happy at 15c, purely because it is so hard to get the temp down to more traditional lager temps.

Back