Ran Out Of Gas?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete2501

Reaction score
It's half ten on a Thursday. I've just kegged a ginger beer and as it turns out I'm all out of gas. :lol:

Luckily I had enough for my first and possibly last pour of APA tonight. It looks like a mad dash to a LHBS tomorrow for gas exchange will be on the cards or a trip during lunch as I still want to go to Little Creatures tomorrow.

Looks like a lunch run it is. :unsure:

How do you cool cats make sure you're not running out? I'm lucky it wasn't during a bender.

It's half ten on a Thursday. I've just kegged a ginger beer and as it turns out I'm all out of gas. :lol:

Luckily I had enough for my first and possibly last pour of APA tonight. It looks like a mad dash to a LHBS tomorrow for gas exchange will be on the cards or a trip during lunch as I still want to go to Little Creatures tomorrow.

How do you cool cats make sure you're not running out? I'm lucky it wasn't during a bender.

A second fire extinguisher (Thanks Pistolpatch) or alternately could use my sodastream or my paintball cylinder......
:)

So I need two huh? Maybe a little one for back ups and a big one for when I have 6 kegs on the goer.

Doogie you're a champ but that's cool. Work is pretty cruisey and I'll be able to exchange it easy peasy. :icon_cheers:

I weigh it once in a while to make sure it is not running low. There should be a number on the tank that tells you how much the tank weighs empty. Or do like I did and weigh it when you get the new tank and write it on a tag attached to the bottle. I found out I got more in the last tank then I paid for.

The gauge is not a reliable way to tell when it is low. The CO2 is in liquid form in the tank and the gauge only drops when the liquid is gone and not making any more gas. The gauge is also effected by temperature.

You can also keep notes so you have an idea when it may be getting low. This will not account for leaks but will give you a good idea after keeping track for a while.

I get at least two kegs dispensed once the bottle's out of liquid (6.8kg bottle). Probably more, I've never actually run one completely dry. So as soon as the guage starts dropping, I know where I'm at, usually give my LHBS a call and arrange to have a swap available when I'll need it.

Have your soda stream on hand. Too easy and good to go mobile.

As said above, you'll get a bit out of the keg once the gas bottle is empty. Over chrissy I had a mate look after my place/cat/beer. I turned the gas off just in case as I was gone for almost 2 weeks, the c**t drained a keg on me :lol: , never complained about pouring issues.

I have 2 x 2.6kg cylinders. Very handy. They last a fair while as well, good for probibly about 20-30 kegs. $25 for the refills, so when one empties I take it in for a refill.

My gas bottle sits on an old set of bathroom scales[$2 garage sale] so I can easily see when it's getting low,once it gets to "empty weight" I know its gas only left and if heading for Melb will swap over before it runs out completly,would rather waste a bit left in bottle than have to make an emergency trip to da big smoke [150 km round trip to swap main bottle]also have a sodastream bottle just in case

Have your soda stream on hand. Too easy and good to go mobile.

Sort of on topic. Does a soda stream bottle have to be in date to swap it? I have one that is almost an antique. Wondered because I have my own gas bottle and it takes 3-5 days to get it refilled at BOC.

Birkdale..

If your SS bottle is grey you will have to find a BIG W...To do it...
Most places will not swap the grey ones you need the Newer Aluminium ones..
I have swapped about ten grey ones for the newer ones..
Cheers
PJ

I got it swapped then went to the pub now its hooked up and sitting pretty.

From the thread title I thought it was LPG you ran out of.
Thank F### for Swap N Go & Kwik Gas. Expensive, but you pay for convenience in the middle of a boil, or bbq

From the thread title I thought it was LPG you ran out of.
Thank F### for Swap N Go & Kwik Gas. Expensive, but you pay for convenience in the middle of a boil, or bbq
That would suck big time. Wouldn't it be nice to have your rig connect to mains gas?

Birkdale..

If your SS bottle is grey you will have to find a BIG W...To do it...
Most places will not swap the grey ones you need the Newer Aluminium ones..
I have swapped about ten grey ones for the newer ones..
Cheers
PJ

Thanks PJ, will give it a go.
Bob

I have 2 x 2.6kg cylinders. Very handy. They last a fair while as well, good for probibly about 20-30 kegs. $25 for the refills, so when one empties I take it in for a refill.

Does anyone know where do you get co2 refills?? I have recently aquired my own bottle??
:D

Does anyone know where do you get co2 refills?? I have recently aquired my own bottle??
:D

Absolutely but you will need to update your location in your profile so you get advice for that specific location :)

Pete, you suck.....

Thanks for the jinkz

tonight i ran outta co2, so now im sitting here with a cornie between my legs drinking with a straw.

:p

Latest posts

Back