Ran out of gas; brought back to boil and boiled cold break

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coxy

Reaction score
So, I ran out of gas today in the bottle my burner is hooked up to at about 40 mins into boil. I didn't notice for probably about 10 minutes, and the temperature dropped to about 95 degrees. As soon as I noticed, I hooked up my backup bottle and brought it back to the boil for my late hop addition (which was only intended to be for 10 minutes). Once it started boiling, huge chunks of what I can only assume was cold break started rising to the surface in the rolling boil. I assume it's cold break because my hot break during initial boil was fairly light and I've never seen such large solids rising to the surface, only dropping out during chill.

I only let it boil for maybe 3 minutes with my late hop addition and then just left the hops sit for 10 minutes before starting chill as though they were a flameout addition as I was concerned about the effect of boiling cold break.

I really have no idea about the flavours that boiling cold break might cause to go into my beer or the effect on yeast nutrients. Can anyone suggest a bit of a prognosis on this?

Cheers,

Coxy

Just realised this should have gone into the brewing techniques forum rather than the AG forum. Mods: feel free to move.

billygoat said:
Won't be cold break if it only dropped to 95C.
Yea as BG says, it shouldn't be cold break. You'll see that form in a flask when chilling wort for a starter at much lower than 95'C. Might've been that some of the hot break had settled on the bottom and got stirred back up when it came back to the boil.

I've started a boil before going somewhere to make it a little less enjoyable for any bugs, then returned a few hours later and finished the boil. I've done this on a few occasions (including last weekend) and had no issues.

For most of my ales I only do a 30 min boil nowadays, depending on the style you would have been ok anyway.. the formation of break was a good indicator.

Bribie G said:
Bribie G, on 17 Jul 2014 - 2:10 PM, said:

For most of my ales I only do a 30 min boil nowadays, depending on the style you would have been ok anyway.. the formation of break was a good indicator.
You pioneer, you.

Back