Rain Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storeboughtcheeseburgers

Reaction score
Ive moved to a new place that has a tank and rain water to the side of the house. There is, however a sign reading 'rain water, do not drink'. I am putting down an all grain brew today, and will be boiling for 60 mins.

Will it be all good?

I have tank water only at my place mate. Is the tank and gutters reasonably clean? Does it look and taste ok when your pour a glass full ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Home Brewer

Only tank water at my place, you will most likely need to add some brewing salts to get some calcium as it's unlikely the rain water will have any.If you don't have any it'll still work but you may find improvements down the track with some water chemistry adjustments.

storeboughtcheeseburgers said:
There is, however a sign reading 'rain water, do not drink'. I am putting down an all grain brew today, and will be boiling for 60 mins.

Will it be all good?
A sign saying do not drink!, to be honest I wouldn't touch it unless I had it tested. The problem may have nothing to do with gutters and roof, it could be the tank, what is in the tank or other nasties you don't know about.

Could give the tank manufacturers a call and see if there is a reason to do with the tank it's self.

Edit... As grott said.

Is it your only source of water ? Are you renting or did you buy?

I just had my house renovated including roof replaced with colour bond and tank installed. The plumber told me the "do not drink" signs are required for the building inspection, but also noted it is to do with chemicals from the roofing material rather than possum poo. I'll be using a town water only tap for my brewing.

well I'm about to mash in with it.. So hopefully its OK - It is clear as what comes out of the town water tap. My brother has an older place he said he just drinks it straight out of the tap, but has a filter system for the kitchen. I'd guess that boiling is going to be better than any filter sys.

Back in the ye olde days, ppl drank beer instead of water as the boiling process killed nasties.. I think it will be fine - it is a new place im renting -

Taken note of the brew salts idea - can these be purchased off craftbrewer? - Water chemistry is the next thing I want to learn more about.

I do need to learn more about the water side of things, as I've heard it can make a hell of a difference.

I'm sure it's fine. I put an inline filter in and we put all our drinking water through a Southern Cross

Whoops. Southern cross pottery filter. Slow but good for just our drinking water

I've used rainwater a few batches in a row now and I think it has improved the flavour compared to tap water. I don't have a filter but jut run the hose through a grain bag to catch any unlikely floaties. The improvement is more likely due to starting from scratch and building a water profile through salt additions. Ive been getting a more consistent efficiency too.

storeboughtcheeseburgers said:
well I'm about to mash in with it.. So hopefully its OK - It is clear as what comes out of the town water tap. My brother has an older place he said he just drinks it straight out of the tap, but has a filter system for the kitchen. I'd guess that boiling is going to be better than any filter sys.

Back in the ye olde days, ppl drank beer instead of water as the boiling process killed nasties.. I think it will be fine - it is a new place im renting -

Taken note of the brew salts idea - can these be purchased off craftbrewer? - Water chemistry is the next thing I want to learn more about.

I do need to learn more about the water side of things, as I've heard it can make a hell of a difference.
Yep craftbrewer sell salts. to start with you probably only need calcium chloride and calcium sulfate ( gypsum ).

Sweet - Well I didn't use 100% rain water. I think prob 70% rain, 30 % tap.

So maybe some of that calcium n stuff will get in there too. Yes, I want to learn how to use Gypsum, but rather than de-route this thread I'll do reading myself. :)

The do not drink sign on rainwater tanks is due to bullshit health regulations,drinking it with all the "nasties" in it helps build up your immune system.
After all where does reservoir water come from?
If you are worried filter it,if you live near a chemical plant don't drink it.
But as was posted above use it as a base to learn how to build your water for brewing.
In South Oz our tap water has both fluoride and chlorine in it and yet people refuse to drink tank water claiming its bad for you,each to their own I guess.
Cheers....spog ...

Rain water is the go, the old saying, if you can drink it, you can brew with it

Isn't it funny how we scrub,soak,sanitise,bleach and starsan the shit out of everything. Then we top the fermenter up outta the cattle trough? How does that work? Is it because boiling kills the nasties ?
I realise I don't speak for everyone here. :)

No one would top up there fermenters with trough water unless it was boiled. Most have a reasonable source without having to steal from the livestock though. :p

Latest posts

Back