Rain Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just meant we are so fussy with sanitation yet tank water doesn't cause infection.? Like someone said if you can drink it you can make beer out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Home Brewer

Been using tank water for years,it's all we got.
Makes good beer too.
I reckon all the bird shit and stuff is probably just as good as
or better than putting calcium and other shit in your beer.
Works for me.

If I had the choice I would never use rain water over tap water, even in Adelaide.

Mainly because, to me, rainwater tastes like shit. (Well, what I imagine shit to taste like.)

Curly79 said:
I just meant we are so fussy with sanitation yet tank water doesn't cause infection.? Like someone said if you can drink it you can make beer out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Home Brewer
Most are all grain brewing with tank water, which means the water gets boiled for at least an hour, I can't see what the problem is ?

The problem isn't with pathogens which would be eradicated by boiling but chemical fallout which is often carried by the rain back down to earth which cannot be neutralised by boiling. Of course this is only one of many health factors in everyday life which we face so people will choose to ignore it, but if there is a sign on the tank saying Don't drink the water, then maybe its best to take notice.

The do not drink signs are a legal requirement regardless of the materials in the tank or roof or the quality of the water. I ignore my sign.

Been brewing with 100% rainwater since the tank went in nearly 10 years ago. Works fine. I use an inline carbon filter but really i suspect that if I dispensed with it I would notice zero difference. Plus it gets boiled for an hour and a half which takes care of any pathogens.

I'm pretty sure its cleaner than tap water which gets pushed through miles of pretty skungy pipes to get to your place (I've seen the inside of some of those pipes... not pretty). Best not to think of it.

We have a first flush diverter ion the tank so the first 50l or so get chucked out which is apparently enough to wash the crud off the roof. We also keep the gutters clear. If we had a bigger tank I'd be quite happy going completely off grid for water.

Its very soft water so you may want to chuck some appropriate salts in.

Cheers
Dave

Get a filter which will remove unwanted chemicals (a brita will do the job but slow)
Boil will kill organisms
adjust water with salts

Beercus

Airgead said:
We have a first flush diverter ion the tank so the first 50l or so get chucked out which is apparently enough to wash the crud off the roof. We also keep the gutters clear. If we had a bigger tank I'd be quite happy going completely off grid for water.
Ive done a bit of study on water quality through my engineering degree and can absolutely vouch for a first flush filter.

They are really essential for any tank you plan to drink out of and improve the quality so much for such a simple idea

Was talking to the brewer at Black Duck Brewery the other day and he said they brew using rain water.
No doubt they build it up to suit ( didn't get to ask that as I was interrupted ).
And their beers are bloody nice,grabbed a heap to take home with me.

Back