Racking Cane

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hazy

Reaction score
Evening all. Anythoughts on racking canes (racking in general). Have thought about getting one. Does removing wort once fermented out off the trub have any advantages. If Largering I can understand that racking would be advantageous but for ales and others is there any point. If so whats the best system
Cheers Hazy

Here is an exert taken from the online copy of "how to brew" by john palmer (the so called "brewers bible")

There has been a lot of controversy within the homebrewing community on the value of racking beers, particularly ales, to secondary fermentors. Many seasoned homebrewers have declared that there is no real taste benefit and that the dangers of contamination and the cost in additional time are not worth what little benefit there may be. While I will agree that for a new brewer's first, low gravity, pale beer that the risks probably outweigh the benefits; I have always argued that through careful transfer, secondary fermentation is beneficial to nearly all beer styles. But for now, I will advise new brewers to only use a single fermentor until they have gained some experience with racking and sanitation.
Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most canned kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.

Evening all. Anythoughts on racking canes (racking in general). Have thought about getting one. Does removing wort once fermented out off the trub have any advantages. If Largering I can understand that racking would be advantageous but for ales and others is there any point. If so whats the best system
Cheers Hazy

The best system IMO is straight out of the fermenter filter into the keg less handling less stuffing around

pumpy

Process_2.jpg

A racking cane will allow you to "rack" or siphon from the top of a fermenter down, thereby not disturbing the trub any more than necessary. This is applicable to racking primary to secondary, primary to keg, secondary to keg and so on (it's a general practice not exclusive to, "is secondary necessary" concern - although it sounds like that's what you're asking).

It's one of those procedures in brewing that you may as well try yourself, see if it suits your style and what you're going for in end product. A simple plastic cane is only a few dollars and vinyl hose, not much more. If you do see benefit, you can upgrade to a SS cane down the track but plastic will be fine.

If it is your intention to rack for secondary purposes, or rack to bright (conditioning vessel), it helps to CC before transfer putting your yeast to sleep on the bottom (in trub) allowing for cleaner transfer, where again, you'll be pulling from the top not dumping from a valve in or near trub.

You'll see Pumpy filters his beer, which does indeed negate the need to CC before transfer to keg or rack from top.

reVox

As always thanks guys. Second all grain done and onto the third, the difference is amazing and glad I made the step. Would love to meet up with any Hobart all grainers or any brewer in the area .
Cheers Hazy

Back