quick question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsposs

Reaction score
Will there be much of a problem if I mix kits with 19ltrs of water instead of 23ltrs ?.

I make all mine to 20L (for kegging) and find the taste is much better. Everything is a little more concentrated including taste (malt and hops), alcohol and deliciousness.

nope, as other say, it will be a little more bitter and a little more concentrated in regards to flavour and slightly higher in alcohol.

Ahh the freedom of homebrewing! You don't need to fill to 23L for the reasons mentioned above, furthermore (assuming you're following instructions on the packet) don't add the yeast at 21-27 degrees, aim for 18-21, you'll have better beer.

... AND you can even use 2 CANS instead of 1 can and 1kg of sugar. So many options!! Ahh the freedom of homebrewing!

Enjoy!

The reason for the 23L is that's almost exactly 5 old Imperial Gallons, which was the "standard" home brew volume in the old days, and they have kept it at that for compatability with old books, recipes. More importantly Coopers kits are geared towards five gallons, that enables them to sell you exactly two boxes of bottles. ;)

Another way of looking at it is that longnecks are still almost exactly 26 fluid ounces, stubbies 13. So taking five gallons to be 5*8pints*20 ounces = 800 ounces

800/26 = 30.7692

So it all hangs together, but in the case of kegging that's all out of the window nowadays.

you beauty I ve already by not thinking doubled the sugars. Just got to work out how to use that glass thingy now . I know I am doing some thing right when an old red nose gets a wobble up on me Ginger cringer.

itsposs said:
Just got to work out how to use that glass thingy now . I know I am doing some thing right when an old red nose gets a wobble up on me Ginger cringer.
I assume you're talking about the hydrometer. It's really simple and there are heaps of YouTube tutorials to watch, some are better than others so find the one that works for you. Here's two that I watched a while back and .

Here's a tip so you're down with the language:

To calculate the amount of alcohol in beer we measure the 'Specific Gravity' or 'S.G' (a measure of density). To do this we use a hydrometer. A hydrometer placed in distilled water at approximately 16 degrees C should read 1.000, this is a good way to test if your hydrometer is accurate.

O.G = 'Original Gravity'. The density of your beer before fermentation (or the amount of sugar). This will probably say 1.045 or 1.070 or something like that. Depends how much sugar is in your beer. From memory a standard kit and 1kg sugar is about 1.043.
F.G = 'Final Gravity'. The density of the beer AFTER fermentation. This may say 1.020 or lower for beer.

If you have taken these measurements (one before fermentation and one after) then you will be able to calculate how much alcohol is in your beer, for example 5% abv.

Hot tips:
1. Try and do all your measurements at 16 -18 deg C. This is when to hydrometer will be the most accurate.
2. Your beer is ready to bottle when the hydrometer reading has not changed over a 48 hour period, although it's ok to leave your beer for an extra week for good measure. It should hopefully read around 1.005, 1.000 is even better because there's no more sugar! Woo hoo! Some kits finish at 1.020 or 1.015, don't stress it's just getting a feel for the craft.

Of course, if you already knew all of that mumbo jumbo then good for you! Hazaar!!

Last edited by a moderator:
MrTwalky said:
I assume you're talking about the hydrometer. It's really simple and there are heaps of YouTube tutorials to watch, some are better than others so find the one that works for you. Here's two that I watched a while back and .

Here's a tip so you're down with the language:

To calculate the amount of alcohol in beer we measure the 'Specific Gravity' or 'S.G' (a measure of density). To do this we use a hydrometer. A hydrometer placed in distilled water at approximately 16 degrees C should read 1.000, this is a good way to test if your hydrometer is accurate.

O.G = 'Original Gravity'. The density of your beer before fermentation (or the amount of sugar). This will probably say 1.045 or 1.070 or something like that. Depends how much sugar is in your beer. From memory a standard kit and 1kg sugar is about 1.043.
F.G = 'Final Gravity'. The density of the beer AFTER fermentation. This may say 1.020 or lower for beer.

If you have taken these measurements (one before fermentation and one after) then you will be able to calculate how much alcohol is in your beer, for example 5% abv.

Hot tips:
1. Try and do all your measurements at 16 -18 deg C. This is when to hydrometer will be the most accurate.
2. Your beer is ready to bottle when the hydrometer reading has not changed over a 48 hour period, although it's ok to leave your beer for an extra week for good measure. It should hopefully read around 1.005, 1.000 is even better because there's no more sugar! Woo hoo! Some kits finish at 1.020 or 1.015, don't stress it's just getting a feel for the craft.

Of course, if you already knew all of that mumbo jumbo then good for you! Hazaar!!

Every hydrometer i have ever used has been designed to be calibrated at 20c. That may be why you are getting such a low FG on some kits. Unless you were using saison yeast.

Last edited by a moderator:
wereprawn said:
Every hydrometer i have ever used has been designed to be calibrated at 20c. That may be why you are getting such a low FG on some kits. Unless you were using saison yeast.
Maybe it depends on the maker of the hydrometer. I dug the instructions out of my brew folder and it says calibrate at 16c, I don't know the maker of the hydrometer but it's about 7 years old and came out of a Brewcraft starter kit (I think). I get 1.000 in water at that temp.

I guess work on the temp that it's calibrated for. Thanks for the input though, never really questioned the 16c, and I've never broken a hydrometer hence never used a different one. I do use a refractometer pretty regularly now, with an equation for post-fermentation use.

itsposs said:
Will there be much of a problem if I mix kits with 19ltrs of water instead of 23ltrs ?.
Only if you get blind & shit the bed

Latest posts

Back