Quick Question: Do I Use Ale Or Lager Yeast For A Draught Kit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you want it to be an ale or a lager? I don't think it matters, ie personal preference. If you go a true lager yeast make sure you have fermentation temperature control and keep it around 11C, for an ale 18-20 is fine.

Draught beer isn't a style as such.
As described from Wikipedia, "beer that has been served from a container by pump or pressure".
So basically any beer served on tap is draught beer, be it lager or ale etc.
You could use any yeast you want, it'll just depend if you can brew at lager temps.

While it is true that draught isn't really a style but a serving method, draught in Australian beer terms often refers to a lager type beer as per certain well known and popular styles out there who I think need not be named as their ads are "big" enough :) to make them well known already...
As such, if you intend to produce something along those lines, a lager yeast is the only way to go, with temp control etc. etc.
Not saying that a draught kit with an ale yeast wouldn't work per se, just that if you bought a draught kit with the intention of producing that sort of beer, then lager is the choice in my book...

IRONxMortlock

Ages ago I bought all the stuff for a 'draught' kit (b/c of comments above you can see that its not the correct terminology it was supposedly meant to be a lager in the current aussie draught style like carlton draught coldies etc). Anyway, I accidently used an ale yeast rather than a lager yeast (again drinking and brewing lead to interesting results!). So I brewed at about 17C so as tyo have it cool ferment but not make the ale yeast go dorminent. long story short - it turned out nicely even though it didnt have those classic lager characteristics.

so experiment and see what you think.

I reckon if you want a modern Aussie Draught go lager - if you want an old style (pre-1970s) Draught go ale and call it a Heritage or Old-time Draught.

Latest posts

Back