Qld Lexmark Indy - Invite To All Ahb Brewers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PistolPatch

Reaction score
The Lexmark Indy 300 is being held on the Gold Coast from October 19th-22nd. Several QLD brewers already have leave passes to attend what is an event that will certainly give lifetime memories. It is BIG. And, there's far more that happens track-side than on the actual track, certainly a lot of laughs.

The offical website can be found here

There are several ways to tackle this event but the main thing for an enjoyable night/weekend/week is to have a base trackside. Paying $7 a beer and lining up for port-a-loos is no fun.

I have some friends with a track-side apartment but there is, of course, a limit to how much we can invade them. If numbers are small we can use that as a base for kegs etc. A place to sleep will not be a problem. For example, your sisters can all stay at my place - no worries, although water conversation is a big issue here - lol!

If there are enough people interested, other options will open up if we act quickly. If we get stuck in between, some people will have to miss out so first in, best dressed.

I must have mentioned Indy at some stage of the 13.5 hour brewer's lunch last Saturday because already, Ross, Monkale and Browndog have leave passes. (Not sure how long for though.) So...

Q1. Do you want to join us?

Q2. Which days or nights? (Event runs Thursday to Sunday so I suggest we at least look at Sat/Sat night as a start.)

Once we get this established, I'll look at what options we have.

Cheers
PP

Note: If numbers were reasonable, one brewer suggested we could get an apartment. The usual booking is for a week and ranges from $2-$4000. Split in enough ways, this could be an option. You can pack heaps in any apartment during the day. Other beds can be found at night - pre-planned or otherwise!

Will be working trackside with QAS during the day (catering). But it would be good to meet some of you guys in the evenings. :beer:

And, there's far more that happens track-side than on the actual track, certainly a lot of laughs.

I've been a few times now, apparently there's some sort of car race that happens there at the same time, but I've never seen it.

indygirls2_sml.jpg

indygirls4_sml.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_16_sml.jpg

Ross,
Franko,Linz and Little Squares will take care of your beer taps while your away-just leave the kegs full think of it as keg sitting

Ross,
Franko,Linz and Little Squares will take care of your beer taps while your away-just leave the kegs full think of it as keg sitting

Thanks Franko - Good to know they'll be in good hands :D

++++

I'll be there Pat, now i've got sitters for my bar :party: - Friday/Saturday sounds good to me.

cheers Ross

Should have got AL to do the original post. Pictures tell a thousand words! Top stuff Al and bloody great to meet you on Saturday. You coming?

Look forward to meeting you on the Sat night Frogman though I'm sure we'll stumble into you through the day.

Looks like Ross is in for Fri AND Sat. Uh oh! We can sneak into Aussie's first while he's at work as he has way too much beer at his place for one bloke ;) (OldDog may even help us Aussie.)

Anyway, if numbers stay small as they probably will, we'll be right to have some reasonable access to my mate's apartment. Perfect.

Cheers
Pat

P.S. Franko, if it's not too much trouble you could babysit my beers as well. LOL Franko.

so who is down for this at the moment besides PP and Ross? I don't want to go just with those two maniacs!!! Would much rather score a keg minding job down at carbrook :)

Coodgee, I can't believe you regard us as maniacs. Just because Ross has 10 beers on tap and I write 10,000 word posts doesn't mean we don't have feelings and aren't responsible. I mean how responsible was it of me to offer to give everyone's sister a place to stay? My only condition is to send a photo first ;)

I've come up with a better plan that will hopefully work out OK. I'm asking my mates to see if they can book us a table at the bar of their apartments. The bar is right on the track. This will be better than hanging around their apartment although we will have to drink some commercial beer. Hopefully have an answer on this in the next few days.

From what I've gathered so far it looks like the following. Hopefully everyone can copy and paste the list below and change my comments to something a little more sensible and informative where required.

1. PistolPatch - Definite for any time on the weekend.
2. Rossco - Definite for Friday/Friday Night/Saturday. (I assume Sat night as well???)
3. Monkale - Definite Has his leave pass organised but am unsure for what day/s.
4. Browndog - Showed extreme enthusiasm early but has failed to follow through. (His wife has a similiar complaint.) You still in mate?
5. AussieClaret - Definite and lives locally. Has lots of beer.
6. Frogman - Definite to join us Sat night.
7. SJC - Checking for a brewing gap in his ferocious fermentation schedule.
8. Screwtop - Buying his wife some jewellery next week so I reckon he'll be in for sure.
9. Zizzle - Definite AHB's first member to do a bag brew for his first AG will be there for sure.
10. OldDog - Haven't contacted him yet but pretty sure he'll join us. Lives locally.
11. Coodgee - Will only come if it's not just Ross and I.

Will let you know if we get lucky with the bar booking.

Cheers
Pat

PP, I'm still a TBA at this stage - I am waiting to hear back on an a track pass, so depends on how that turns out. Will let you know as soon as I know.

Al and others. Re the track passes. We can probably work on a, 'group discount,' so while not guaranteed, we can be fairly confident that we won't have to pay the standard exorbitant rates.

Will PM details on this in a few days time to all who register an interest below. Al, I've added you!

2. Rossco - Definite for Friday/Friday Night/Saturday. (I assume Sat night as well???)
3. Monkale - Definite Has his leave pass organised but am unsure for what day/s.
4. Browndog - Showed extreme enthusiasm early but has failed to follow through. (His wife has a similiar complaint.) You still in mate?
7. sjc - Checking for a brewing gap in his ferocious fermentation schedule.
8. Screwtop - Buying his wife some jewellery next week so I reckon he'll be in for sure.
9. Zizzle - Definite AHB's first member to do a bag brew for his first AG will be there for sure.
10. OldDog - Haven't contacted him yet but pretty sure he'll join us. Lives locally.
11. Coodgee - Will only come if it's not just Ross and I.
12. als_world - Really wants to come, just needs a little push.

8. Zizzle - Definite AHB's first member to do a bag brew for his first AG will be there for sure.
9. OldDog - Haven't contacted him yet but pretty sure he'll join us. Lives locally.
10. Coodgee - Will only come if it's not just Ross and I.
11. als_world - Really wants to come, just needs a little push.

Sorry big family commitment that weekend Pat. Definitely out, promise me you guys won't book accommodation on Chevron Island.

I'm in :beerbang: but I will wait to see which night will be the most popular and go with that.

cheers

Browndog

That's a huge dissapointment Screwtop. A brewer's meet without you? Maybe the race organisers will move it forward a week if I ask nicely? Hope so.

Good news from Browndog though. Have chucked you in the list as definite for Sat/Sat night as this will be the main day. Trust that's OK.

The apartment restaurant manager still hasn't made a decision on what they are going to do for the Indy weekend (too organised!) but liked the idea of booking out tables. I'll investigate some other possibilities as well just in case a plan B is needed.

8. Zizzle - Definite AHB's first member to do a bag brew for his first AG will be there for sure.
9. OldDog - Definite for Sat/Sat night.

Hi Pat
I raised the possibility of my attendance at the said event with the better half and she didn't seem too fazed although she remarked that it wouldn't be her idea of fun. So looks like I might have the OK.
What do you mean by Sat/Sat night? Do you mean Fri/Sat night?
Haven't worked out how I'd get there yet.
Cheers
Stephen.

hi Pat,

Keen as mustard. I also promised my young fella I would take him along to see the cars and girls, I meant that the other way around.

count me in

old dog

:party:

Had a few PM's and it looks as though QLD's champion brewer can join us (won't say who!). Also looks like QLD's champion bitter lover is coming as well although I've told him that Gold Coast girls don't like bitter beers. Come on browndog, I know it takes skill but brew a girl's beer!

I've edited both your details below.

Re your questions of when to come. If you can only come for one day and one night, then make it Saturday day and Saturday night. If you can visit longer then extend your stay either side. No worries.

Old_Dog and Aussie dropped in tonight to taste my perfectly brewed Beer in a Bag ;) From what the three of us worked out, the ONLY place you can get a pub on the track is the one I'm working on so let's hope we have some joy there. Might be 2 more weeks before I get an answer there though.

Some time in the next week, I'll send all below a PM re costs/cost reduction ;)

4. Browndog - Definite for Sat/Sat night.
7. sjc - Definite for Sat/Sat night - at least!
9. OldDog - Definite

These threads can get a little boring so here's a really quick one...

A three-year-old boy was examining his testicles while taking a bath.

"Mum," he asked, "are these my brains?"

"Not yet," she replied.

Hi Pat
thanks for the update.
Keep us posted.
Good joke.
Cheers
Stephen.

Have made some progress on the Indy front. Spent 5 hours last Friday at the only bar that is bounded east and west by the Indy track and negotiated a deal. They are only open at odd hours so I'm still trying to get hold of them to confirm a few details.

The bar is in Staghorn Avenue at the Focus Apartments building. If you click on the track map in the link I gave in Post#1, you can see Staghorn is the first street north-south street from the right.

The bar has a spectacular display of ordinary to shocking beer. I mentioned that this could be a problem and they are happy to get some cartons in for us. So, while I'm waiting to confirm details, anyone have any ideas on beers?

Cheers
PP

P.S. Sorry sjc. Can't think of another little joke to whack in - lol.

Latest posts

Back