Qld Lexmark Indy - Invite To All Ahb Brewers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have made some progress on the Indy front. Spent 5 hours last Friday at the only bar that is bounded east and west by the Indy track and negotiated a deal. They are only open at odd hours so I'm still trying to get hold of them to confirm a few details.

The bar is in Staghorn Avenue at the Focus Apartments building. If you click on the track map in the link I gave in Post#1, you can see Staghorn is the first street north-south street from the right.

The bar has a spectacular display of ordinary to shocking beer. I mentioned that this could be a problem and they are happy to get some cartons in for us. So, while I'm waiting to confirm details, anyone have any ideas on beers?

Cheers
PP

P.S. Sorry sjc. Can't think of another little joke to whack in - lol.

What are you saying? Do they they have Melbourne Bitter on tap?!
Stephen.

Carlton Draught, Tooheys New and Gold are the tap highlights Stephen - great, eh? If no other suggestions, I'm going to order 10 cartons of Birrells ;)

Here's the latest details and we need to finalise this over the next few days as accomodation is tight.

On the Track

Have confirmed with the Focus Bar (where my mates have an apartment) that we can get unsrestricted entry all day for $20 per head. This is pretty good seeing as others will be having to queue and pay a $10 cover charge unless they want to pay $150 a head for a table. This is only available to us and took me 5 hours of drinking their tap beers to negotiate - agh.

Indy passes are $158.20 for all 4 days or $53.20 for Friday, $78.20 for Saturday and $88.20 for Sunday. Once you confirm exactly when you are attending I'll be able to work out if we can reduce this cost.

Accomodation

Accomodation is going to be a worry if everyone above is coming. All the Gold Coast guys, apart from me, live miles away from the track which is no good. I obviously will be taking a few people here (sold out already - lol) but there is a limit so here's a good cheap option...

Nearly everywhere is booked out or requires a minimum of a 4 night stay. I have found a motel right near me though with rooms left and a minimum 2 night stay. Price for Friday and Saturday night is $210 all up and gives a queen and single bed. So, if you cram 3 in there somehow, that's about $35 per person per night.

It's a 5 minute walk to my place from the motel and 15 more minutes to the track from my place - 2 hours back ;). (We can get taxis though.)

Start Your Engines (Need a Decision By Monday)

As certain things become cheaper with numbers, the only possible way to organise this is for people to let me know what days and nights they wish to come and how much they can afford on accomodation and passes. From this, I'll be able to work out final figures and whether your budget will get you on the grid.

Please post back here or email me with the above over the weekend. (PM if you really have to.)

Cheers
Pat

EDIT: Just saw re Peter Brock. Unbeleivable. I'm sure this legend would like to see us all there enjoying the sport so let's toast him at the track with the best quality brew we can find.

You can book me in for a bar pass on the sat.
Will try to finish early that day.
5am starts each day and bike ride home mean I won't be in for a major session.
Have some free time during the day so I may call round a few times.
May be able to organise an extra pit pass for a short time. :D

Friday, Saturday, Pat - looking forward to a huge weekend :party:

cheers Ross

Please excuse my delayed feedback but have been bowled over by the flu - still am. Thanks to those who have emailed/posted.

Looks like most people in the list have accomodation with me or live down here. Have sent a few PMs to those I haven't heard back from yet but even if they all come, we only need to accomodate 3. I suppose one can sleep in my van!

Have sent Frogman a PM and hopefully we'll catch up for a beer soon and he can answer a few insider questions for me ;)

Will get back to you all as soon as my brain starts working again.

If I haven't already got it, can you send me your email address as this makes communication ten times faster.

Cheers
Pat

Indy have just put out the event calendar. Check out

Race Program
Offtrack Events

Maybe Ross, sjc, browndog and I can go to the Ralph Indy Fever Party or the Miss Indy Karaoke Party on Friday night? lol.

Then there's always the, 'Indy No Undy,' but that requires several Ruinations to enter.

Have also just updated the list.

1. PistolPatch - Definite for any time on the weekend. Local.
2. Rossco - Definite for Fri/Fri Night and Sat/Sat Night. At my place.
3. Monkale - Waiting on confirmation.
4. Browndog - Definite for either Fri/Fri Night or Sat/Sat night whatever works best. At my place.
5. AussieClaret - Definite If you need a Focus pass let me know for what day. Local.
6. Frogman - Definite Sat/Sat Night. Local.
7. sjc - Definite for Fri/Fri Night and Sat/Sat Night. At my place.
8. Zizzle - Definite If you need a Focus pass let me know for what day. Local.
9. OldDog - Definite If you need a Focus pass let me know for what day. Local.
10. als_world - Waiting on confirmation.

Whoops! Looks like you have to pay full fare on Indy if you want to go track-side.

Found out today that the practice of sharing passes is no longer tolerated by the organisers. Can't believe it's taken them so long to catch on to this - lol.

This means you'll be up for $90 for Saturday only or $140 for 4 days plus the $20 bar pass for each day. There's no in-between.

If you don't want to go track-side and just want to join in the fun Fri or Sat night using my place as a base then that's no worries. Plenty to see down here.

To help me think this all through can you please let me know, via the most convenient method, if...

a) You can get any free passes and for when.
B) If you are coming and can organise your own pass.
c) If you would like to join us Fri or Sat night but not the day.

Thanks,
Pat

Hope you guys are watching Bathurst. What a race!

Also, do you guys want to organise your own race passes or forward money to me? I promise I won't do a runner!

I will need cash for the bar passes unless you can guarantee that if you pull out, you'll cough up!

Please let me know ASAP. I have a lot on and need to get this wrapped up in the next few days.

Thanks guys.

Hope you guys are watching Bathurst. What a race!

Also, do you guys want to organise your own race passes or forward money to me? I promise I won't do a runner!

I will need cash for the bar passes unless you can guarantee that if you pull out, you'll cough up!

Please let me know ASAP. I have a lot on and need to get this wrapped up in the next few days.

Thanks guys.

You sort it all out Pat if that's ok - just let me know the damage B)

cheers Ross

Hi Pat
ditto as for Ross, Pat. If you'd like me to get you some cash before hand, just let me know how much and for what and we can make an arrangement.
Cheers
Stephen.

Trackside Attendees

The following people will be checking out the action track-side plus a bit of racing...

PistolPatch - Friday and Saturday (Passes organised)
Rossco - Friday and Saturday (Passes organised)
sjc - Friday and Saturday (Passes organised)
als_world - Satyrday (Passes organised)
Frogman - Saturday when he gets breaks (Passes organised)

Night-Time Players

THe following are joining in the evening/night-time action...

PistolPatch - Friday and Saturday
Rossco - Friday and Saturday
sjc - Friday and Saturday
Aussie Claret - Saturday
Old Dog - Saturday
Frogman - Saturday
Zizzle - Saturday
vjval1974 - Saturday

Monkale - Still waiting on final confirmation

BrownDog - Unfortuantely BD had to take a few weeks off unexpectedly so we've lost one of our most enthusiastic attendees. We'll miss you mate but will have many a beer for you.

Cheers
Pat

Pat I would love to be there however I was unable to obtain a leave pass.

We'll miss you Brissy! I'll make sure that Ross brings his camera so you'll have something to laugh at at least ;)

Buying passes today which have already gone up a bit in price. Still not sure on Monkale as he hasn't been online for over w eek??? Hopefully he can organise a pass and still join us.

7 sleeps to go!

Hi Pat
champion. Thanks for organising that. Looking forward to trying your BIAB beers. I'll try and get an extra loaf of sour dough bread made this weekend so we can make malt sandwiches!
Cheers
Stephen.

You're the man Stephen! What time do you and Rossco want to come down? I imagine that the very intellectual Miss Indy Parade at 10am might be a bit early for you guys :blink:

What time does everyone intend joining us Sat evening/night? Let us know so we can work out the best meeting place and time.

By the way, if anyone else wants to join us at some stage and doesn't have Ross's and my mobile number, let me know so you can find us. Often, it's impossible to hear mobiles on the track so send a text if no answer and we'll call you back.

Cheers
Pat

P.S. Unfortunately Monkale can no longer make it through no fault of his own. I'm quite pleased about this as I reckon Monkale track-side would be a constant worry - lol. No, we'll be missing you mate.

Hi Pat
I'll try and talk to Ross about our impending Friday arrival time today.
If we do get there in time for said parade, I'll make sure I'm wearing my most intellectual looking spectacles.
Cheers
Stephen.

MOWF has to work on Sat Arvo/evening and all day sunday, I'm not piking out but just can 't make this one Baby sitting duties!
Sorry Guys.
AC

Aussie, go and stand in the corner. I think sjc and Ross need to give you some fatherly brewing advice on priorities.

Just get the kids an all day bus pass for Saturday. Make sure the first bus you put them on is the one from your place to Indy. That'll give you half an hour to get them settled for their great day out. You hop off at Surfers and I'll guarantee that for about a month after you won't have to tell them any bedtime stories - they'll be telling you.

The kids are going to be around forever Aussie. Indy however is just a few days each year. Think about it.

And, what's wrong with Friday night?

Stephen even has a spare pair of spectacles organised for you.

Mmmmmm,
Pat

Maybe and juat maybe I'll track you down on saturday night guys.. Still have to drive down...

will work on it...
:beer:

Trackside Attendees

The following people will be checking out the action track-side plus a bit of racing...

PistolPatch - Friday and Saturday (Passes organised)
Rossco - Friday and Saturday (Passes organised)
sjc - Friday and Saturday (Passes organised)
als_world - Saturday (Passes organised)
Frogman - Saturday when he gets breaks (Passes organised)

Night-Time Players

The following are joining in the evening/night-time action...

PistolPatch - Friday and Saturday
Rossco - Friday and Saturday
sjc - Friday and Saturday
vjval1974 - Friday
Old Dog - Saturday
Frogman - Saturday
Zizzle - Saturday

Persons of Interest!

FNQBunyip - Fingers crossed, he'll join us Sat night at least.
DanNZ - New AHB member visting from NZ and here for all of Indy.
Pete Diddy - A mate of mine has a leave pass Sat/Sat night.
Tony the Mouth - A mate of mine has a leave pass Sat. Talks a lot.

That's an updated list.

I'm seriously worried about surviving this weekend. Ross has already organised to meet vjval when he finishes work at midnight tomorrow. Yes, that's tomorrow night FFS. How am I meant to last another 36 hours after that?

Uh oh! It get's worse! Just had a call from sjc and he and Ross are arriving at 9am - 14 hours! Thought I had a half day today but that fell through. I think I better go now....

lol but 'ken worried,
Pat

It's going to be a big weekend - no cameras please!

Latest posts

Back