Qabc 2011 Results

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I can cube a beer, then ferment later and enter it?

Is that not what Ross has done? Or it restricted to 'brewing equipment' now?

Hmm..

Ok im just putting this out there for people to view at their own leisure.

Some things i have noticed from the stats:

Look at the average score
Look at the scores of some of beers that placed
Look at the strike rate for a place

Does this appear out of the ordinary for an amateur brewer who is a seasoned competition entrant, that brews great beer that has seriously 'bombed' all categories?

Personally, i dont think it does. FWK, cubed beer, i couldnt care less as long as they are fermented 'small batch' im amateur conditions.

Final thaught. If Queensland thinks they will take out the AABC based on some of those lower end scores that placed or were close to placing, you better think again! :icon_cheers:

ross.png

The amended results are now up... Congrats again to all the place getters.

Hey Ross,

That magmanamous of you Ross to "bow-out". I still think you should take the cudos (and trophies).

You obviously made some shockers too.....take the good with the bad.

cheers

the_new_darren

Conspiracy theory time...

So Ross and Tony are mates. They want to get the QABC rules changed. They have a feeling the current rules are not inline with the majority of the community. But Ross already lost that battle.

Ok, plan B. Ross carpet bombs the comp with FWKs.

Results come in predictably.

Tony fakes a big hissy fit in public.

Discussion opens up, every man and dog has an opinion. Rules more likely to be changed.

Do we really think Tony would have big cry in public about a few medals and risk losing a mate? :rolleyes:

I think that regardless if this was a pre-planned scenario, or all by chance (or a mixture of the 2), this is a great thing that has happened.

I have a view on this as well but will not litter this thread with unrelated posts, but did want to mention that what Ross has done in subrogatiing his position, is worthy of a shout out, and a dose of well earned respect!

Also a shout out to Browndog who at least has the nuts to voice a stance in the first place - not just whisper crap, but put it out there. Well done Tony! you have opened the door for others to have a say.

Good luck to all the Qld'ers at the Nats - Can't wait for you guys to hold the Nationals up there - count me in for that!

Maple - southern support unit

The important thing is what it says about No Chill beer brewing ;)

Glad you liked it. It was brewed using the Dobel Dobel mash technique outlined by Randy Mosher in Radical Brewing. Each member of PUBS got a couple of bottles for Xmas. Join up and there may even be 1 or 2 left to hand out to new members :icon_cheers:

Hey Lockie, well done - I've got mine in the cupboard for Xmas. And did PUBS do well or did it do well - and Graeme beat Lyall with a German Pils - :eek: - I'll remind Lyall of that when I'm down at his place sitting in on his "club keg" brew tomorrow :lol:

The amended results are now up... Congrats again to all the place getters.

Congrats to you as well mate :icon_chickcheers:

medal or not, that Schwarzbier is a winner Rossco :icon_chickcheers:

probably as good as mine :icon_cheers:

Hey Lockie, well done - I've got mine in the cupboard for Xmas. And did PUBS do well or did it do well - and Graeme beat Lyall with a German Pils - :eek: - I'll remind Lyall of that when I'm down at his place sitting in on his "club keg" brew tomorrow :lol:

Pity I have to work tomorrow. Maybe I can kiss the wife and kids goodbye as usual in the morning then walk over to Lyalls :D

For our size I reckon PUBS did pretty well. It confirms my half drunk thoughts at the meetings, there are guys at the club making some really decent beers. I must admit that I've learnt a hell of a lot from my involvement in the club.

To add to this discussion, the kit still relies on how it is made by the brewer.
In Ross's defence, in the other state comp, the beer is judged hot. The theory behind it being that most beer tastes good cold.
Taking into consideration that it has become a much smaller comp in the last few years.....
Ross won 4 out of 10 classes (and it was beautiful beer too I might add), the rest was shared between PUBS and the LABG. The Champion and Reserve Champions were myself and Jeff from PUBS. Ross obviously won Champion Brewer for 2011.
My beer however did terribly in the QABC comp, but I have brewed this year to the QAAWBG Schedule. Also, the judging temp makes a difference with the judging styles, as the judges inform me.
I think I was more excited about my beer beating Ross's than getting Champion Beer!! It was not the result that anyone expected.
I will however be brewing this year with that comp in mind also, and will have a better crack next year.
:icon_chickcheers:

QLD Entrants.
Entrants who placed and do not intend to enter in that category please contact the QABC ASAP as the rules allow the state to fill three entries for each category so the next highest scorer may be invited if the organisers decide to do so.

Placegetters are also reminded that "If the original beer is no longer available, entrants may submit a different beer in the same style or a different style in that category." as per the AABC rules.

QLD Entrants.
Entrants who placed and do not intend to enter in that category please contact the QABC ASAP as the rules allow the state to fill three entries for each category so the next highest scorer may be invited if the organisers decide to do so.

Placegetters are also reminded that "If the original beer is no longer available, entrants may submit a different beer in the same style or a different style in that category." as per the AABC rules.

Has anyone recieved the feedback/results sheets? If so, email or post?

Was hoping to see them before sending down beers to Adelaide.

Has anyone recieved the feedback/results sheets? If so, email or post?

Was hoping to see them before sending down beers to Adelaide.

I'll second that question about results sheets/medals. For those of us not in clubs, this is the only chance we get for constructive feedback.

Oh, and I reckon there should be special prizes for brewers who are not members of clubs!!! ;)

Mike Loxley

QABC 2011: 2 Silvers and a Bronze

I'll second that question about results sheets/medals. For those of us not in clubs, this is the only chance we get for constructive feedback.

Oh, and I reckon there should be special prizes for brewers who are not members of clubs!!! ;)

Mike Loxley

QABC 2011: 2 Silvers and a Bronze

Mike, I believe we had a problem with the post mate, you should have them soon.

or just join a club, thus make better beer, and so win more prizes :lol:

sim

Can't agree with that sorry.

well thats alright, was meant in jest.

more seriously though, AHB is a brew club of sorts, plenty of help and experience to be found here. Pity you cant download someone elses beer and taste it then and there.

sim

Latest posts

Back