PVC OK for hot Wort?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nacnud

Reaction score
I recently finished my first full volume BIAB and then realised that I didn't have any way to chill it (great planning). So I decided to transfer it straight into a cube and put the cube in the bath for a few hours. The only hose I had was my 13mm clear PVC so I used that to syphon the near boiling wort. The hose went pretty soft but held up, my only concern is that after i'd finished and cleaned up the hose had turned permanently cloudy. Is this a bad thing? Have i laced my beer with toxic plastics?

What kind of hose do other people use for hot liquids?

Silicone hose is your friend.

In a pinch, I've used reinforced PVC that's meant for up to 70 degrees. No problems yet.

I've used reinforced PVC that has been OK but I've also bought stuff that smells odd and subsequently avoided using it. I've since switched to silicon which is much better and good for peace of mind. Don't sweat this instance but look at getting a couple of metres of silicon for future.

Thanks guys. I'll get some silicon for next time. Glad I don't have to chuck this one, it's the first time I've hit my SG's!

Latest posts

Back