Hot break

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you do the calculations it comes in at around 0.006g/L to remove Chlorine at the rates typically found in municipal water, actually that’s a slight excess to what is needed (mostly).
So to treat say 50l you would need 50*0.006 = 0.3g
A level teaspoon (5mL) is usually regarded as being 7g
Sounds like some people are overdosing slightly, not that it will matter much unless you get really carried away. There are some issues the way some Lager yeasts metabolise Sulphur and there can be flavour/aroma effects if there is too much free sulphur available.
If you are adding it the night before or if the water is warm (and given a few minutes before mashing in) it should be very effective and any excess should gas off pretty quickly.
Mark

I prepare the water the night before so any excess does gas off. Plus when I get up all I have to do is flick the switch to start heating the water and I’m under way.

I have it from good authority (not me) that if the smell is clear...you can smell it without having to try) it is working. Same logic to see if previously mixed solutions are still useful. I tend to over do it just a bit cos it is so cheap when I buy it in 20kg bag

If you do the calculations it comes in at around 0.006g/L to remove Chlorine at the rates typically found in municipal water, actually that’s a slight excess to what is needed (mostly).
So to treat say 50l you would need 50*0.006 = 0.3g
A level teaspoon (5mL) is usually regarded as being 7g
Sounds like some people are overdosing slightly, not that it will matter much unless you get really carried away. There are some issues the way some Lager yeasts metabolise Sulphur and there can be flavour/aroma effects if there is too much free sulphur available.
If you are adding it the night before or if the water is warm (and given a few minutes before mashing in) it should be very effective and any excess should gas off pretty quickly.
Mark

what Mark said...

So just checking back into this thread as I have a few items to feedback on.
The German Pils was kegged two days ago and it had a post ferment pH of 4.29.
I've just knocked out an American stout with the following pH levels, mash pH 5.30, post boil pH 5.02.
I calculated the sodium met additions as per Mark's recommended 0.006g per lt. It treated 90 lts of water so I only needed 0.54 grams. Looking at that small amount I'd say my 1/2 tsp in the last batch was too much. Live and learn.
Happy days!

Not really, because The sod met turns into SO2 gas I think and this will get lost in the hot mash and boil. Bet there is an unmeasurable amount that gets to your fermenter. One campden tablet in half a cup of water in the bottom of keg sealed up for a while open it and it is possible to smell the chemical.
Pour that out into a bowl overnight and then put it back in the keg for a while and the odour is negligible, so mashing and boil will really get rid of it.

Assuming that it doesn’t react with anything before it evaporates, could say the same about the Chlorine, it will evaporate so there would be no need to remove it right? Wrong! It pays to know what is going on before assuming.

Mark

Back