Pumps from Grain and Grape?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

res

Reaction score
The other day my chugger burnt out. It was horrible, started smoking and was crazy hot.
Not sure why it happened, I wasn't running it dry and I keep it clean. The only thing I can think of was that I was running through an extention cord, which I have recently read can cause problems.
Anyway so now I'm in the market for a new pump. I was thinking of getting the cheaper option from Grain and Grape?
http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/products/category/LEMRTMKG%20pumps-siphons-and-tubing/7PUMP+SILVER+KK

Obviously I like the March

http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/products/category/LEMRTMKG%20pumps-siphons-and-tubing/7PUMP+MARCH

But I could buy four of the other ( literally four) for the same price. Does anyone use or have experience with these?

'Sounds like you have one of the original Chuggers that made it over here & had problems with overheating, which have now been fixed.

I suggest you contact the local contact for Chuggers & see what you can work-out (depending on where/how you bought it, of course!).

MartinOC said:
'Sounds like you have one of the original Chuggers that made it over here & had problems with overheating, which have now been fixed.
I suggest you contact the local contact for Chuggers & see what you can work-out (depending on where/how you bought it, of course!).
Yeah sounds like it.
I got it from the Australian chugger site, chugger.com.au
but they seem to be incommunicado these days.
It was also over a year ago so I reckon I could be stuffed. :-(

mate the silver pump you link is essentially the keg king or klaixin pump.

i love mine, but only used it for 3 brews...

hope you can claim the chugger

I have 2 of the silver pumps the only issue i find is it is very easy to cross thread the the plastic pump housing .

I think someone once said on this forum.....

"you aren't a brewer until you have a March Pump"

or at the least something very close to this. :)

I haven't seen that saying for years "You're not a real brewer until you have a March pump" , wasn't it Bonj or Henno?

QldKev said:
I haven't seen that saying for years "You're not a real brewer until you have a March pump" , wasn't it Bonj or Henno?
I recon it was Batz, Kev.

And what's more I do believe that it is his birthday today as well.

I think the last thing on his mind tonite would be a March Pump. :)

Back to the pumps, I had a March 809 on my 3 v for many years without any problems and that included running a herms through stepped mashes.
The Chugger I think is a March in Stainless Steel clothing but there does seem to be some problems with them.

Some good advice in talking to Spiesy about the OP's failure

"I do believe its his birthday today" " I think the last thing on his mind tonite would be a March Pump".
Now lets break this down.
1. It's his birthday ( and we all know what happens on a birthday ;) (( pumping ))
2. It's March
So happy pumping in March with your March Pump Batz. :)

Yes, to confirm - Full Pint are the Australian distributors for Chugger Pumps.

I have been in touch with Res via PM.

Unfortunately my chugger was not covered by the warranty, not unreasonable given I've had it for 15 months or so. However the chugger rep gave me a good deal on a scratch and dent motor and I'm back in the game.
Big thanks to you guys on the forum for pointing me in the right direction and also Full Pint for sorting me out for the least amount of money .
Also found out FP are only ten minutes away from me. Happy days. ;-)
Cheers.

Latest posts

Back