Pub With One Beer - On Fox Last Night

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikem108

Reaction score
Pub with one beer series started on Fox last night, looks like the poor blokes bought a real dump and judging from the attitude of the prevoius owner its no wonder the beer quality was so variable (at times undrinkable)

Poor bastards. :lol: Scharer looks like he may have drunk most of the profits.

Strangely captivating programme all the same. I'll be watching the rest. :)

Warren -

wouldn;t it be good if Daddy could give us all $4.3M to buy a brewery??

I enjoyed it to! :super: if anyone missed it it's on the on demand system

Surprised the place hasnt burnt down :(

I'll be watching the rest....

Cheers
Steve

I'm wondering where the brains are? I'm sure daddy didn't bankroll 4 mill without putting some consultants in to oversee the brewing, if nothing else.

Has the Scharers Lager improved since those lads took over and sacked Lexi the brewer, re:last nights episode, throwing away 6 batches in 14 months sounds like an awful lot of beer to waste. No wonder she got the boot, she couldn't even picked the beer she brewed from a blind tasting of 3 beers, the other two being LCPA and Coopers Pale, up against a Lager!

Has the Scharers Lager improved since those lads took over and sacked Lexi the brewer, re:last nights episode, throwing away 6 batches in 14 months sounds like an awful lot of beer to waste. No wonder she got the boot, she couldn't even picked the beer she brewed from a blind tasting of 3 beers, the other two being LCPA and Coopers Pale, up against a Lager!

That just totally amazed me. Never had the Sharer's Lager (and I'm not sure I want to now) but LCPA, CSA and Sharer's lager should be able to be picked by a complete idiot. You could even do it with a blindfold.

BTW I reckon the apprentice brewer (forget his name) is going to be an egotistical know it all wanker as the episodes unfurl. ;)

Warren -

I know what you mean Warren, if it was myself who scored the job you wouldn't be able to keep me out of the brewery until everything was absolutely perfect especially the beer.

Yeah the beer tasting was unreal - Dave the guy that got the Shearers lager right, reckoned the LCPA was VB :D
The head brewers knowledge all round, appears to be appaling, no wonder she doesn't last much longer. How Geoff Shearer got 4.3 million for that run down establishment is beyond me, I reckon he must still have a permanent grin :) . i visited Shearers with Pumpy 18 months ago & the bock was infected that evening - The locals had been drinking it happily all day until that time & the barman basically told me I didn't know the taste of real beer. Should have seen his face when he finally tasted it - It was promptlly taken off...

cheers Ross

I haven't been watching it with great attention. Anybody have any idea of what their actual brewing experience is be it formerly commercial or homebrew? :unsure:
Look like a couple of bankrolled dweebs who made a couple of brews and subsequently got way ahead of themselves in the process.

BTW The staff saying that Geoff Scharer only infected 2 brews in 20 years would be bullshit I'd say. That brewery just looked plain filthy as does Scharer's whole attitude.

The other twat sticking his head in the empty storage tank was inspiring stuff too. Hope there wasn't too much residual CO2.

Warren -

I haven't been watching it with great attention. Anybody have any idea of what their actual brewing experience is be it formerly commercial or homebrew? :unsure:
Look like a couple of bankrolled dweebs who made a couple of brews and subsequently got way ahead of themselves in the process.

Warren -

They've worked behind a bar (or at least the blonde bloke Luke has) & that's about it from what I can see.
Dave has the bank rolling father & Luke is his best mate who comes from a less privilaged background.
I bet the father is having second thoughts at this stage - incredible they bought it, without even inspecting the equipment - Might approach him to purchase CraftBrewer, must be worth a mill on the basis of their last purchase :p

Cheers Ross

Are there any other Beer related shows on Fox? Can't find anything in the guide.

Pub with one beer series started on Fox last night, looks like the poor blokes bought a real dump and judging from the attitude of the prevoius owner its no wonder the beer quality was so variable (at times undrinkable)

Dump? :(

I'll be honest and say I haven't seen the show, but isn't this about George IV Inn, in Picton?

It's been at least 4 years since I visited, but I thought it had a load of character. A real historic Australian pub. They had a german brewer at the time, and I found the beer to be pretty damn good!

Please tell me they're restoring it, not just pulling out the old and putting in new.

Are there any other Beer related shows on Fox? Can't find anything in the guide.
thirsty traveller on discovery travel channel 10.30am mon-fri not bad show when they show beer, also show spirits, wine overall good show.........

months ago they had a marothon on about homebrew was great to but never seen it again. they had can collectors and went through the xxxx brewery and had a few homebrewers from sydney showing their setups........If anyone else has seen this and know what it was called let us know.

Dump? :(

I'll be honest and say I haven't seen the show, but isn't this about George IV Inn, in Picton?

It's been at least 4 years since I visited, but I thought it had a load of character. A real historic Australian pub. They had a german brewer at the time, and I found the beer to be pretty damn good!

Please tell me they're restoring it, not just pulling out the old and putting in new.

Kook,

Not so much the bar, but everything away from public view. Brewing equipment, function rooms etc all very run down. Even the roof fell in I believe, a month or so back. The German brewer was Geoff Shearer, the guy who just sold it. It would appear he basically never replaced anything, just continually patching & disguising... Pub has/had heaps of character, just totally run down...

cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back