Priming in Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crakkers said:
One problem you might encounter is the keg not sealing properly as you don't have the gas setup yet to pressurise the keg.
If the lid doesn't seal properly, any CO2 produced by the secondary fermentation could leak out, leaving you with a flat and potentially infected beer if any nasties find their way inside.
If you do end up with an infection, it's not going to be due to a seal failure on the lid. It's not like bacteria will somehow crawl in through an air gap, especially if there is only a tiny leak due to pressure inside. Flat beer would be a disappointment, but it's probably a better option than a whole bottle of CO2 lost due to a slow leak.

If your lids are not sealing properly, pay attention to the lid alignment, lube the o-ring and if necessary replace the o-ring with a new one. If your kegs are so beaten up you can't get the lids to seal even with the above, then perhaps it's time to retire those kegs, or at least re-purpose them.

I'm not overly worried about the beer being under-carbed, as I plan on putting this on gas once I'm setup. The main idea behind priming the keg is to try and remove as much oxygen from the keg as I can, so that I can store the keg for a few weeks until my keg system is up and running.

BKBrews said:
I'm not overly worried about the beer being under-carbed, as I plan on putting this on gas once I'm setup. The main idea behind priming the keg is to try and remove as much oxygen from the keg as I can, so that I can store the keg for a few weeks until my keg system is up and running.
If you're doing it to save gas from your bottle which I presume you are - over carbing a fraction isn't such a bad thing as you can purge it off without wasting any of the gas from your bottle, where as if you go under you'll use some gas albeit a small amount.

I poured a beer that I primed, I've had it chilled a little over a week - crystal clear, one of the clearest I've had in such a short time. Admittedly this is with S04 which is darn a good floccer but I don't think that the amount of sediment you get in a keg really differs all that much between force carb and otherwise.

If you're doing it to save gas from your bottle which I presume you are - over carbing a fraction isn't such a bad thing as you can purge it off without wasting any of the gas from your bottle, where as if you go under you'll use some gas albeit a small amount.
Nah, doing it because I don't have a gas bottle yet. I've just purchased a freezer and kegs, but my taps, disconnects, beer line, regulator, bottle etc have been ordered and are on their way (probably won't be here until end of next week at the earliest).

BKBrews said:
Yes, undercarbing is ok. Like someone suggested, 50g to keep the lid sealed then when you put it in the fridge and hook up the gas, your serving pressure will determine your carbonation level.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the oxygen if you are naturally carbing, the yeast will take care of it.
After all, those that bottle don't generally get rid of the oxygen when naturally carbing and have no problems.

Kegging a double batch tomorrow and only room to force carb one at the minute - it's had a dose of gelatin, reckon I'll prime one force carb the other and see how each go.

Can't tell you how mine are doing, but I primed them both with 60g in 350ml water and added to the keg. Hope they work out!

Latest posts

Back