Priming High Alc % Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gulpa

Reaction score
Hi all,

I forgot how attenuative wy1388 is and Ive ended up with 12.5% belgian ale. I had a bottle last night and had no carb at all after a month in the bottle. I suspect the yeast is a bit tired.

Im thinking of opening bottles and adding some champagne yeast but Im a bit concerned that this may overcarb the beer. I sugared to 3.5 gravities.

Does anyone have any experience priming with champagne yeast? Will it overcarb my beer?

thanks
Andrew.

If you pitch champagne yeast it'll eat through the sugar to 3.5 volumes, but might also breakdown and ferment other more complex sugars which the beer yeast can't, meaning you may end up with closer to 4 volumes. I think it would depend on what style of belgian it was. If you made a golden strong, you'll probably be fine because they're very dry already and have little residual sugar (according to the style guidelines), whereas a belgian dark strong may overcarb a bit more thanks to the larger residual sugars.
You could maybe make a starter and pitch more wy1388?

Cheers,

Mr.Moonshine

If you pitch champagne yeast it'll eat through the sugar to 3.5 volumes, but might also breakdown and ferment other more complex sugars which the beer yeast can't, meaning you may end up with closer to 4 volumes. I think it would depend on what style of belgian it was. If you made a golden strong, you'll probably be fine because they're very dry already and have little residual sugar (according to the style guidelines), whereas a belgian dark strong may overcarb a bit more thanks to the larger residual sugars.
You could maybe make a starter and pitch more wy1388?

Cheers,

Mr.Moonshine

Thanks MrM. Its probably in the triple ballpark and could probably handle 4 volumes. It finished reasonably low at 1.012/13 (started at 1.109). I thought about pitching more 1388 but its getting to the top of its % parameter. And I dont have any 1388 at hand so I didnt want to waste the $. I think I will give it to Jan and then look at repriming if there is no action.

cheers
Andrew.

A good lager yeast (or 1056) made into a starter may be better, as mentioned Champagne yeast might get a bit to dry and over carbed.Either way you want a good High alc yeast starter going before you re pitch.If its not going gang busters before you pitch I dont like your chances.
GB

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not sure why you wouldn't stick with more of the original yeast?

A good lager yeast (or 1056) made into a starter may be better, as mentioned Champagne yeast might get a bit to dry and over carbed.Either way you want a good High alc yeast starter going before you re pitch.If its not going gang busters before you pitch I dont like your chances.
GB

Will 1056 work at that alc %? I have some of this at hand. The only reason I was thinking Champagne is due to the %alc.

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not sure why you wouldn't stick with more of the original yeast?

Its pretty much at the top of the alc tolerance for 1388 and most other beer yeasts. I will have to uncap the bottles to add yeast so Id rather explore the options and get it right the first time. The beer is too good to f@$k up.

cheers
Andrew.

Latest posts

Back