Preparing for the next one

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottyDoesntKnow

Reaction score
Knocked out my first BIAB a month ago and overall im pretty happy with how it turned out but my efficiency was a bit off. Just trying to get a better understanding of where I went wrong and looking for a few pointers for the next one please.

Firstly, my pre-boil volume was out by a couple of liters, estimated 14 ended up with 16. Single step infusion mash in an esky but i was so concerned about losing temperature i rushed the grains in and didnt stir them anywhere near as much as i should have. Would this have contributed to the greater than expected wort volume?

Secondly, I boil on a gas stovetop, 19l BigW pot and perhaps the boil wasn't as vigorous as it should be. I also used pilsner malt which other have suggested needs a longer boil than 60 mins. Volume into the fermentor was estimated at 11l but I ended up with 14. With my equipment, maybe I need to boil for a good 30 mins prior to starting my first 60min hop addition for every brew?

I ended up with a SG about 10 points under what i had hoped but FG was 6 points lower so it kind of balanced out in the end. What sort of different flavours would that have imparted on the beer?

I could look at changing my efficiency in BeerSmith but probably should work on brewing technique first?

Cheers

Work on getting the right volumes. Not necessarily by changing technique, but by configuring BS to match your real world experience. Make sure your thermometer is accurate.

Back